Anyone Been To Eat On The Oriental Star?

jeepholt

I seem to remember that someone posted something about the "Oriental Star" floating restaurant, but I had as much luck as I usually do trying to find old topics using the search function. In other words, I couldn't find zip sh*t!

I found the website for the "Oriental Star" but I can't read the menu on the site. Even saving and magnifying parts of the menu didn't work to try to find out some prices.

Their ticket and reservations office page didn't show which end of walking street it is located either?

I am hoping someone has been to dinner on the boat and can let me know if it is good value and possibly some costs. Plus any tips on how to get to the boat without having to walk all the way down walking street. Will have wife and sister in law with me and don't look forward to all my old flames yelling at me the whole way up the street! :o

I seem to remember that someone posted something about the "Oriental Star" floating restaurant, but I had as much luck as I usually do trying to find old topics using the search function. In other words, I couldn't find zip sh*t!

I found the website for the "Oriental Star" but I can't read the menu on the site. Even saving and magnifying parts of the menu didn't work to try to find out some prices.

Their ticket and reservations office page didn't show which end of walking street it is located either?

I am hoping someone has been to dinner on the boat and can let me know if it is good value and possibly some costs. Plus any tips on how to get to the boat without having to walk all the way down walking street. Will have wife and sister in law with me and don't look forward to all my old flames yelling at me the whole way up the street! :o

My wife and I ate there only once, Jeep. We enjoyed it. My wife objected to the fact that they use palm oil, rather than the "healthier" choices for oils. But the food was, at least, OK; some might say better, some worse. I don't recall specifics on the prices; but it wasn't cheap.

We found the staff very pleasant and attentive. The view is the primary attraction. It's really great to sit up there on the top deck, with the lights of the bay surrounding you. There is also a band that is decent background for dinner.

Overall, it's a place that I'd like to visit again, if only for that atmosphere and view of the bay. The food, entertainment, and pricing were all neither the worst, nor the best, I've ever experienced. So, based on all of that, as I said, I hope to visit again, occasionally. I would certainly recommend it to anyone as a "try it" experience.

I went a few months ago, took all the Thai family (her brother, sister etc) - 5 adults and 2 kids. Total bill was about 3,000 baht, which was alot cheaper than I expected. They ordered a veritable banquet that would not all fit on the table. I had a farang dish - pork something, as well as dipping into theirs, and that coupled with the several beers I had probably bumped up the bill a bit.

Booking office is Bali High end of walking street, if driving you can park at Bali High and go from there. They then take you by tuk-tuk out along the pier to a speedboat transfer, all at no extra cost. I was quite impressed by the service, the food was so so.

After dinner you can do a bit of squid fishing off the bottom deck of the boat for 100 baht, nice way to relax with a few beers after a meal.

My wife and I ate there only once, Jeep. We enjoyed it. My wife objected to the fact that they use palm oil, rather than the "healthier" choices for oils. But the food was, at least, OK; some might say better, some worse. I don't recall specifics on the prices; but it wasn't cheap.

We found the staff very pleasant and attentive. The view is the primary attraction. It's really great to sit up there on the top deck, with the lights of the bay surrounding you. There is also a band that is decent background for dinner.

Overall, it's a place that I'd like to visit again, if only for that atmosphere and view of the bay. The food, entertainment, and pricing were all neither the worst, nor the best, I've ever experienced. So, based on all of that, as I said, I hope to visit again, occasionally. I would certainly recommend it to anyone as a "try it" experience.

OOPS! I forgot the location info. You buy tickets, and catch the boat, at Bali Hi Pier, at the south end of Walking Street. There is no need to enter Walking Street at all. You buy your tickets at a booth. Then they take you in a small tram to the boat launch spot.

Also, in response to the comment that "Novelty restaurants seldom please" remark, I'd have personally disagree with that. I find a little novelty now and then to be a nice compliment to every day life. That's the case, for me, with this place. I wouldn't make it a "regular stop" for dinner. But I would appreciate doing it 3 or 4 times a year. Novelty is a nice cure for boredom, now and then.

Mind posting the website address jeepholt, my missus has been asking about going there recently.

All I can find on a web search is

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...;IdArticle=6287

and a link to this thread that we're in.

Here's the website I found "Pattaya Parent" (hope it is ok to post it here?): http://www.orientalcruisespattaya.com/home/ehome.html

I still haven't tried the Oriental Star yet, and appreciate the responses I've received so far. Well, MOST of them that is! :o