Thailand Introduces Portable Zip Codes

george

Thailand introduces portable zip codes

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Post will introduce a national "portable zip codes program" that will allow individuals to take their zip code with them when they move, no matter where they move, whether across the country or across town.

The program is inspired by the recent CAT Telecom ruling that allows people to retain the same phone number wherever they move or whatever service they switch to.

Boonlert Praisannee, head of Thailand Post says "A modern, mobile society like Thailand can no longer afford to remain grounded in locale-specific zip codes. He continues: "A zip code is a badge of honor, an emblem symbolizing a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape."

Khun Boonlert: "This will also save companies and organizations a lot of money, because they don't need to print new letterheads, forms and business cards when they move or relocate. "I'm pleased to announce this new feature of our on-going "Go Postal" campaign," said Khun Boonlert.

"It's yet another step to modernize our postal system and satisfy our customers."

Earlier in January, CAT Telecom ruled that phone customers would soon be able to keep their telephone numbers with them when they changed carriers. That made it possible for a person to retain a familiar number even when switching, say from AIS to DTAC or True, and even from traditional phone service to cell phone service.

At the time, no one anticipated the cascading effect this would have. Now the concept has spilled over onto another branch of the communication infrastructure, namely Thailand Post.

The Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says this is typical populist ideas from the Samak government. "Call me old-fashioned, but zip codes were meant to stay put," he said. "They serve a clear, unambiguous purpose: They tell the postal worker on his or her rounds where you live. I'm certain I'll be thinking long and hard of maybe voting against it."

The stationary system of zip codes has been in place for decades, and in that time those five numbers evolved from just a series of digits to a status symbol -- like an expensive watch or a handsome hairpiece.

The new vanity zip code feature is only the latest addition to the Go Postal program, which began last April 1. Thailand Post's officials say Go Postal has already been a success, with millions of baht of new revenue coming from the introduction of pop-up ads on postage stamps.

They are hoping to issue the first portable zip codes by April 30, 2008.

But first the House subcommittee must override an anticipated veto by a two-thirds majority of dissenting members. If that passes, the full Senate will have to take up the three riders attached to the bill by the postal subcommittee. If that fails, then only a 4-5 measure in both houses can pass. Only time will tell where this all stands.

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

this just might be the stupidest thing they came up with yet.

it probably started like this

pooyai: i have the best zip code in the world. 77777 my lucky lottery numbers, it gives my business high magic and gives me many young wives with white skin

noi: but sir, in our new building we have to change the zipcode

pooyai: that is unacceptable, I will not be without my lucky zipcode. if i have to change that zipcode, i will loose all my luck.

noi: but sir it is the law........

:o

Edited by Shah Jahan

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Post will introduce a national "portable zip codes program" that will allow individuals to take their zip code with them when they move, no matter where they move, whether across the country or across town.

The program is inspired by the recent CAT Telecom ruling that allows people to retain the same phone number wherever they move or whatever service they switch to.

Boonlert Praisannee, head of Thailand Post says "A modern, mobile society like Thailand can no longer afford to remain grounded in locale-specific zip codes. He continues: "A zip code is a badge of honor, an emblem symbolizing a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape."

Khun Boonlert: "This will also save companies and organizations a lot of money, because they don't need to print new letterheads, forms and business cards when they move or relocate. "I'm pleased to announce this new feature of our on-going "Go Postal" campaign," said Khun Boonlert.

"It's yet another step to modernize our postal system and satisfy our customers."

Earlier in January, CAT Telecom ruled that phone customers would soon be able to keep their telephone numbers with them when they changed carriers. That made it possible for a person to retain a familiar number even when switching, say from AIS to DTAC or True, and even from traditional phone service to cell phone service.

At the time, no one anticipated the cascading effect this would have. Now the concept has spilled over onto another branch of the communication infrastructure, namely Thailand Post.

The Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says this is typical populist ideas from the Samak government. "Call me old-fashioned, but zip codes were meant to stay put," he said. "They serve a clear, unambiguous purpose: They tell the postal worker on his or her rounds where you live. I'm certain I'll be thinking long and hard of maybe voting against it."

The stationary system of zip codes has been in place for decades, and in that time those five numbers evolved from just a series of digits to a status symbol -- like an expensive watch or a handsome hairpiece.

The new vanity zip code feature is only the latest addition to the Go Postal program, which began last April 1. Thailand Post's officials say Go Postal has already been a success, with millions of baht of new revenue coming from the introduction of pop-up ads on postage stamps.

But first the House subcommittee must override an anticipated veto by a two-thirds majority of dissenting members. If that passes, the full Senate will have to take up the three riders attached to the bill by the postal subcommittee. If that fails, then only a 4-5 measure in both houses can pass. Only time will tell where this all stands.

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

Pop-up ads on postage stamps :o April Fools Day!

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

Nice try!

J.

this just might be the stupidest thing they came up with yet.

it probably started like this

pooyai: i have the best zip code in the world. 77777 my lucky lottery numbers, it gives my business high magic and gives me many young wives with white skin

noi: but sir, in our new building we have to change the zipcode

pooyai: that is unacceptable, I will not be without my lucky zipcode. if i have to change that zipcode, i will loose all my luck.

noi: but sir it is the law........

:o

Check the date..

J.

Anywhere else in the world the zip code identifies the area.

In theory if you just write the number and the name of the road or street and the zip code the letter (or whatever is being sent) will reach it's intended destination. No need to show Boston, New York, Chicago, Paddington, etc.

So now (if they put this stupid idea into practice) You could have a couple of hundred different zip codes for one building (in say a large condo building or high rise office)

This suggestion has to be one of the most stupid (out of all the other stupid ideas) that have come out recently.

The certainly need that think tank don't they. :o

"A zip code is a badge of honor, an emblem symbolizing a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape."

Khun Boonlert: "This will also save companies and organizations a lot of money, because they don't need to print new letterheads, forms and business cards when they move or relocate."

So a company will change physical addressed and not print new letterhead or business cards so it's customers won't know where to visit it's showroom, or send payments.

Seems perfectly suited for those people driving around Bangkok making yaba in the backs of trucks.

Why stop with postcodes? Why not have portable addresses as well?

Brilliant Khun Boonlert. Somehow can't help thinking he's been sniffing too much of the glue used on his own postage stamps. Poor man must be in desperate need of recognition if he needs to use his postal code as a badge of honor.

Edited by photojourn

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

lirpA looF

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

For more related info on this article check today's Telegraph (UK) startling natural world news at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...MC-new_01042008