Thailand Introduces Portable Zip Codes

george

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the western world should be held responsible for this. After all they are the ones making postalcodes famous by making series like 90210.

From that moment postalcodes with lucky numbers were valued a lot, after all Thais do like their numbers.

In the US agencies, business or buildings receiving high volumes of post have their own 'portable' postal code since the invention of it. As such it is not a new idea.

Some other numbers that are not related to location but to the company or agency are:

81009 Federal Citizen Information Center, 30385 Bellsouth, 21412 Bancroft Hallo, and one that is really easy to remember 12345 fro General Electric in Virginia.

The timing though is laughable, it should be done after Song Kran to at least give the Postal workers some time to get used to this implementation. Otherwise the slogan 'Go Postal' will get a real meaning.

Edited by Khun Jean

On the heels of banning my camo shorts yesterday this really pissed me off. It was not until I got back from Bumrungrad where they did a god job treating my GF for the beating I gave her for "representing stupid Thai people everywhere" did I notice today's date.

This is going to cost me. :o

"The new vanity zip code feature is only the latest addition to the Go Postal program, which began last April 1. Thailand Post's officials say Go Postal has already been a success, with millions of baht of new revenue coming from the introduction of pop-up ads on postage stamps"

This pop-up ads on the postage stamps are a pain in the ass, I was posting a letter last week and the damm thing popped up and hit me right in the eye. I spent two hours in emergency ! Apparently it's the first time it has happened to a farang .

Edited by maamoot

Every day in Thailand feels the same as today, same same GROUNDHOG DAY!

The same old "unbelievable" crap happens every other day of the year too, but it's for real... 365 days of pure entertainment, TiT folks! :o

We are so used to the daily stupidities here and to thinking "that's unbelivable but it just happened" that we accept it as a NORM. Sorry for the folks splitting hairs about this new revolotionary postal proposal or even worse getting upset :o If that was to be for real the next best think to invent would be individaul NAMES that everybody can have for life :D

So if the zipcode doesn't any longer have anything to do with a specific "geographical" area, what IS IT for? If it doesn't say anything about the location a parcel is going, why put it on the package? The persons name is already on the package, so I guess the zipcode will just "give honour to the name", just make the name look more "high-so"!

To use a person's name, all mail would have to be addressed to someone at their registered residence.

Apart from that, think of it as a virtual postcode, just like a virtual memory address.

To use person's name sound pretty cool for me. Hope the big guy at the post office can see this post. Perhaps we can use the company's name too. Make it an option like a PO box. Then why don't use the PO box instead ???? Just make it more flexible so people can register a name like "Tony's big house", "Tony's small house #1", etc... As I'm a Thai myself, I'm in doublt sometime about what's in people's heads.

It's funny, many years ago I was walking in Pattaya, lying to all the girls that I'm not Thai and cannot speak Thai. I found myself in a different world. It's a bit unfair, isn't it? What am I lacking of when showing as a Thai? Perhaps I don't have a dream to offer?

Immigration? Do you have any suggestion for my interview for the US Visa tomorrow morning? Unbelievable my appointment is 7:00am. Don't know that they start working so early.

Cheers,

Tony.

Exactly what I have been waiting for so long. Isn't it logical after the banks invented IBAN? And as you know, no matter where you are, the incoming mailserver of your mail program will always be the same. Now we can deal in the same manner with regular hardcopy mail. Perfect! No more Tambon inexpressible, no more Amphoe unreadable when one moves around in Thailand. A true relief for those who travel in Thailand intensively. I hope other countries will follow and adopt this system.

Thailand introduces portable zip codes

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Post will introduce a national "portable zip codes program" that will allow individuals to take their zip code with them when they move, no matter where they move, whether across the country or across town.

The program is inspired by the recent CAT Telecom ruling that allows people to retain the same phone number wherever they move or whatever service they switch to.

Boonlert Praisannee, head of Thailand Post says "A modern, mobile society like Thailand can no longer afford to remain grounded in locale-specific zip codes. He continues: "A zip code is a badge of honor, an emblem symbolizing a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape."

Khun Boonlert: "This will also save companies and organizations a lot of money, because they don't need to print new letterheads, forms and business cards when they move or relocate. "I'm pleased to announce this new feature of our on-going "Go Postal" campaign," said Khun Boonlert.

"It's yet another step to modernize our postal system and satisfy our customers."

Earlier in January, CAT Telecom ruled that phone customers would soon be able to keep their telephone numbers with them when they changed carriers. That made it possible for a person to retain a familiar number even when switching, say from AIS to DTAC or True, and even from traditional phone service to cell phone service.

At the time, no one anticipated the cascading effect this would have. Now the concept has spilled over onto another branch of the communication infrastructure, namely Thailand Post.

The Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says this is typical populist ideas from the Samak government. "Call me old-fashioned, but zip codes were meant to stay put," he said. "They serve a clear, unambiguous purpose: They tell the postal worker on his or her rounds where you live. I'm certain I'll be thinking long and hard of maybe voting against it."

The stationary system of zip codes has been in place for decades, and in that time those five numbers evolved from just a series of digits to a status symbol -- like an expensive watch or a handsome hairpiece.

The new vanity zip code feature is only the latest addition to the Go Postal program, which began last April 1. Thailand Post's officials say Go Postal has already been a success, with millions of baht of new revenue coming from the introduction of pop-up ads on postage stamps.

They are hoping to issue the first portable zip codes by April 30, 2008.

But first the House subcommittee must override an anticipated veto by a two-thirds majority of dissenting members. If that passes, the full Senate will have to take up the three riders attached to the bill by the postal subcommittee. If that fails, then only a 4-5 measure in both houses can pass. Only time will tell where this all stands.

--Agencies 2008-04-01

Related link:

Thailand Post

:o I read through about a dozen responses to this post....and then suddenly I realised this was posted on 1 April 2008.

Clearly an April Fools joke, but has hooked a few people. I suppose though, as we are pretty used to stupid and outrageous anouncements coming from the Government etc, it is in fact believable to a degree. :o

Reading the entries, I am absolutely gobsmacked that no one has remembered today's date. April 1st - April Fool's Day -

Portable Zip Codes would need their own 'Zip Codes' so that any post could be delivered correctly.

Someones' having a larf!!! :o

Reading the entries, I am absolutely gobsmacked that no one has remembered today's date. April 1st - April Fool's Day -

Portable Zip Codes would need their own 'Zip Codes' so that any post could be delivered correctly.

A lot of people saw through it straight away, but George was very busy this morning deleting all those posts, so others would get caught in the joke.

He stopped about midday. :D

A lot of people saw through it straight away, but George was very busy this morning deleting all those posts, so others would get caught in the joke.

He stopped about midday. :D

Yes I did stop that practice at noon'ish. Thanks a lot for your kind support!

Cheers - Great day! :D