Why Is Thailand A Third World Country?

realmadrid25

Part 1

The most common answer on ThaiVisa seems to be an 'Elite Thai' conspiracy. I don't know that much about wide scale economics to comment definitively but the biggest flaw I see in this logic is that as a country grows richer, the richest people maintain their proportion of the wealth. Do you really believe that the owners are CP are sitting around saying "Thank God those Isaanites only have X baht in their bank account?"... It seems doubtful.

Business is business and I think blaming the problem on Thai businessmen can only be done out of jealousy/idiocy. If anything, it would make more sense to place the blame/conspiracy theories on government bureaucracy. Someone mentioned that Singapore issues several times as many foreign work permits as Thailand despite only being a fraction of the size. The most prosperous countries are those who are most liberal to business and foreign investment.

The second problem which cannot be avoided is bad habits among the poor and the idea in their minds that if you are born poor, you will remain poor. Many on Thai Visa view this as 'Elite' brainwashing, but I don't see it that way. The poor people who are smart enough to succeed will see through it and the dumb ones will keep following it. Social Darwinism. Thai kids know that gambling, smoking and drinking is bad, yet they choose to do it anyways as adults. At the end of the day, I think the poor Thais have to take responsibility for their bad habits and they cannot be blamed on the rich.

Regardless, this is an interesting discussion because many of the people on this board would not be able to afford to continue living here if it was not a third world conspiracy, so maybe they owe the Elite Thais a thank you....

In reply to your questions, they like it, and ignorance is a bliss !

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a thousand things wrong with Thailand. There are a thousand things that, if done differently, would make life much better.

But it's not up to us to impose our value system on the development of another sovereign territory. What people fail to realise is that most of these so-called developing countries are cramming 200-250 years of development into 20-25 years; it's obvious there will be mistakes, ructions, injustices occuring. Do you think similar things didnt happen in the UK's development? Go look at your history books and look at issues like corruption, wealth disparities, injustices that prevailed over decades and decades before - seemingly - smoothing themselves out in the 20th century.

Russia and China took a quicker, more brutal route to developing, with mixed results. Singapore and, to a lesser extent, Malaysia took another more successful route.

Thailand is doing it its own way. And as I sit in my office looking at the streets full of cars, luxury office buildings, shops full of things to buy, and well-fed people going about their business, I dont think they are doing as bad a job as we like to think.

Spot on, it is only the outsiders that think the Thais are poor and not moving forward,.

After all the critics of Thailand have had their say as to why Thailand is as it is, I would suggest looking at your choices.

Would you rather be in Monaco Monte Carlo, St Tropez, Aspen, Bahamas, Beverley Hills etc ? Rich people live in places like this.

Right, you can't afford to live in these places, you don't have enough money to live as you want in your own country either, you're just another face in the crowd, a nobody.

So you trot off to a 3rd world country thinking you will be a rich man there, then you discover there are also restrictions on what you can and cannot do, there are also all the problems involved with being a Foreigner in a developing nation, you can't understand the language, you certainly cannot grasp the culture, you think the food smells funny, in your mind the people are of course lazy and inferior to you, yet you choose to live in a Country amongst the very people you constantly critisise.

You see a Thai guy riding around in BMW or a Benz that you can only dream of owning in Thailand and you are resentful, you think how can this inferior person afford that, and why can't I !!

You can't own Land, you have always known that, you CAN own land in your own country yet you still CHOOSE to live in a country where you CAN'T, then spend the rest of your miserable lives complaining about a situation you always knew existed.

There are a certain ammount of posters that do nothing but put Thailand and Thai people down, yet they still stay in Thailand. They have to ask themselves why they stay in a country they're so unhappy in.

Surely they never moved to a developing nation with the idea that everything is perfect and tailor made to suit them in every way !

You try to come across as intelligent, cool, all knowing, you actually come across as bitter, resentful, and very unhappy.

Your constant critisism of Thai people amazes me, considering you choose to live amongst them, and even marry into a Thai family.

I feel sorry for the Thai wife, I bet she never dreamt that she would be married to some miserable old git that does nothing but sit at a computer and trash her Country and fellow Thai people.

Have a nice day chaps. :o

so so true, never met anyone yet who had a gun put to his head and was being held here against his will.

the fact is that a lot of these so called men of the world/old china hands have put themself in the position they are in.

they tend to meet in farang ghettos where a mixture of chang and sang som fires up the resentment that burns within, put all their eggs in one basket, no back up plan etc etc.

these bitter and twisted individuals cant understand why its not like farangland, they make no effort to mix with locals whom they despise, have made no effort to learn the language.

how many of these people have actually been to a thai funeral, a monks ordination or a graduation.

losers in their own country and losers here.

have to feel sorry for the girl that married them, all they wanted was a maid, cook and a nurse rolled into one, these sad ba*****s are an embarassment to be avoided at all cost.

take thailand for what it is, not what you want it to be.

I wonder what the official definition of a Third world country actually states, if indeed there actually is one ?

Could it be an inadequate telecoms infrastructure that results in mobile phone signals "dropping out" at every bend ? Could it be that the capital city has seen an increase in TB cases greater then those in the later part of the 19th century?, could it be that there are now more homeless than before WW2?, could it be perhaps that inner city crime has reached epidemic proportions?, could it be that patients run a greater risk of dying from infection contracted within a hospital rather then outside in the street?

If it is any of these then the UK meets all of the above criteria and Thailand does not

Edited by esprit

It's simply because Thai political is weak.

Thailand is governed by lousy politicians who always say everything they do is for the country.

but pratically, they are doing mostly for themselves and their associates.

After all the critics of Thailand have had their say as to why Thailand is as it is, I would suggest looking at your choices.

Would you rather be in Monaco Monte Carlo, St Tropez, Aspen, Bahamas, Beverley Hills etc ? Rich people live in places like this.

Right, you can't afford to live in these places, you don't have enough money to live as you want in your own country either, you're just another face in the crowd, a nobody.

So you trot off to a 3rd world country thinking you will be a rich man there, then you discover there are also restrictions on what you can and cannot do, there are also all the problems involved with being a Foreigner in a developing nation, you can't understand the language, you certainly cannot grasp the culture, you think the food smells funny, in your mind the people are of course lazy and inferior to you, yet you choose to live in a Country amongst the very people you constantly critisise.

You see a Thai guy riding around in BMW or a Benz that you can only dream of owning in Thailand and you are resentful, you think how can this inferior person afford that, and why can't I !!

You can't own Land, you have always known that, you CAN own land in your own country yet you still CHOOSE to live in a country where you CAN'T, then spend the rest of your miserable lives complaining about a situation you always knew existed.

There are a certain ammount of posters that do nothing but put Thailand and Thai people down, yet they still stay in Thailand. They have to ask themselves why they stay in a country they're so unhappy in.

Surely they never moved to a developing nation with the idea that everything is perfect and tailor made to suit them in every way !

You try to come across as intelligent, cool, all knowing, you actually come across as bitter, resentful, and very unhappy.

Your constant critisism of Thai people amazes me, considering you choose to live amongst them, and even marry into a Thai family.

I feel sorry for the Thai wife, I bet she never dreamt that she would be married to some miserable old git that does nothing but sit at a computer and trash her Country and fellow Thai people.

Have a nice day chaps. :o

OK, so you say all these critics are not justified, have no truth and everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds?

I suggest you take off your pink glasses and start looking at reality as it is, and just because it is a farang who articulates these critics doesn't mean they are wrong. Ask yourself this question: Would you be prepared to accept the same critics if articulated by a Thai?

(Because I have heard all these critics also from my Thai friends.)

And just for the record, I could afford living in Monaco (I would not pay any taxes!), I did live in San Diego and I choose Thailand because I like it here, actually I love it here. Yet I believe I see Thailand is it is and I knew how it is before I decided to move here. It is not perfect, especially not the political situation, but that does not make me bitter or resentful or unhappy. Perfection is not of this world, I know that.

But allow me to see things as they are, open my mouth (if asked) and do my part to help improving the situation, slowly, step by step, student by student.

In my opinion your critic of some posters appears to be a bit righteous, or even patronizing.

"But Thailand imposes up to 300% import tax and excise tax on imports such as cars, yet exports cars made in Thailand to countries, where there are no import taxes at all. Fair?"

I hope you're not suggesting that there's some kind of equivalence here. There's no getting around the fact that although Western nations preach liberalism in world trade this is only in as much as it benefits their exports; when it comes to imports, especially from nations on the periphery of empire, protectionism is the rule.

Would you care to back this up with some data?

"But Thailand imposes up to 300% import tax and excise tax on imports such as cars, yet exports cars made in Thailand to countries, where there are no import taxes at all. Fair?"

I hope you're not suggesting that there's some kind of equivalence here. There's no getting around the fact that although Western nations preach liberalism in world trade this is only in as much as it benefits their exports; when it comes to imports, especially from nations on the periphery of empire, protectionism is the rule.

Would you care to back this up with some data?

The CAP is worth something like 55 billion Euros. It's a well-established fact that subsidies on these levels dramatically undercut foreign competition and are a direct threat to the development of poor farmers in the global south. This is on top of direct protectionism (quotas, tarriffs, etc.) With the aid of export subsidies, EU farmers are able to dump their produce in poor countries and in so doing devastate their agriculture. One factoid I came across: In 2006 the U.S. imported $3 billion worth of Bangladeshi goods and $53 billion in goods from the UK. The UK also supplies about $35-$40 billion in services imports a year. But buyers of Bangladeshi products faced a $487 million tariff penalty, and buyers of British goods only $430 million. US aid to Bangladesh averages something like $100 million pa. Have a look at the effect of US cotton subsidies on West African producers or rice subsidies on Latin American farmers. Similarly with the EU, this is what the ferociously right-wing Cato Institute says: "According to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, EU protectionism deprives developing countries of nearly $700 billion in export income a year. That's almost 14 times more than poor countries receive in foreign aid. EU protectionism is a continuing tragedy, causing unnecessary hunger and disease. The Cold War "iron curtain" between East and West has been replaced with a customs curtain between North and South."

If the local Thai people will just say MAI PEN RAI, who are we to complain? Theres always the plane who will sends you back home to get back those life ur used to.Thailand maybe poor but Im sure that that at least they are less hypocrite than the rest of us.

Edited by wanderer9020

There are a thousand things wrong with Thailand. There are a thousand things that, if done differently, would make life much better.

But it's not up to us to impose our value system on the development of another sovereign territory. What people fail to realise is that most of these so-called developing countries are cramming 200-250 years of development into 20-25 years; it's obvious there will be mistakes, ructions, injustices occuring. Do you think similar things didnt happen in the UK's development? Go look at your history books and look at issues like corruption, wealth disparities, injustices that prevailed over decades and decades before - seemingly - smoothing themselves out in the 20th century.

Russia and China took a quicker, more brutal route to developing, with mixed results. Singapore and, to a lesser extent, Malaysia took another more successful route.

Thailand is doing it its own way. And as I sit in my office looking at the streets full of cars, luxury office buildings, shops full of things to buy, and well-fed people going about their business, I dont think they are doing as bad a job as we like to think.

Yes I agree Thailand is doing it it’s own way and the natives are doing a fine job.

“streets full of cars” . Yes those Bangkok streets are certainly full of cars, can't fault you there, possibly a little too full of cars, one could argue. There are some that would go so far as to say that a city roughly the size of London could do with one or two more metro lines.

“well-fed people”. Well apart from the 20% of Thais suffering from malnutrition (http://www.wfp.org/country_brief/hunger_map/map/hungermap_popup/map_popup.html) indeed there are some that are very well fed. Some are positively chubby.

“shops full of things to buy,”. Ah yes I remember walking around Siam Paragon in BKK and seeing loads of shops full, as you say, of things to buy. It almost looked like a shopping centre in the civilised world. Hats of to them! Admittedly you never actually see anyone in those shops buying anything and of course the price of a handbag would be equivalent to ten lifetimes wages of your average Thai. But nevertheless nice to have them there to remind the savages of everything they can’t afford.

So yes I agree from an office in Bangkok things are looking pretty good, just so long as you can hop daintily over the lepers lying in the street and avoid the murderous locals, it is really almost looks like civilisation. Let’s give the natives a big slap on the back…not too hard in case they are suffering from leprously…

Lawdy, I'd better add a few smileys here in case anyone thinks I am being, anything other than a little playfully provocative...:-) :-) :-)

“streets full of cars” . Yes those Bangkok streets are certainly full of cars, can't fault you there, possibly a little too full of cars, one could argue. There are some that would go so far as to say that a city roughly the size of London could do with one or two more metro lines.

Which are already planned.

“shops full of things to buy,”. Ah yes I remember walking around Siam Paragon in BKK and seeing loads of shops full, as you say, of things to buy. It almost looked like a shopping centre in the civilised world. Hats of to them! Admittedly you never actually see anyone in those shops buying anything and of course the price of a handbag would be equivalent to ten lifetimes wages of your average Thai.

The average Thai is not who Hermes generally market to. Have you tried MBK, they do a roaring trade.

“well-fed people”. Well apart from the 20% of Thais suffering from malnutrition (http://www.wfp.org/country_brief/hunger_map/map/hungermap_popup/map_popup.html) indeed there are some that are very well fed. Some are positively chubby.

Your link does not give the same information as your post. It does say Cambodia is in the 20% bracket though.

Edited by burman

I stand corrected, apologies Ade.

Surprising figures though, 21% for Thailand, 5% for Myanmar.

How to they come to these figures because on my travels around Thailand and they have been extensive I've not seen many people short of food. Gotta be said though I've spent a lot more time around the north western border than north eastern.

How to they come to these figures because on my travels around Thailand and they have been extensive I've not seen many people short of food. Gotta be said though I've spent a lot more time around the north western border than north eastern.

Having been around a lot of Thailand over the past year, I have never seen an under nourished Thai. I am told that the majority of beggars on the streets are not Thai, but usually Cambodians or Burmese.

Yeah I don't buy those numbers either. They must be wrong. 21% for Thailand is way too high.

Yes I agree Thailand is doing it it’s own way and the natives are doing a fine job.

“shops full of things to buy,”. Ah yes I remember walking around Siam Paragon in BKK and seeing loads of shops full, as you say, of things to buy. It almost looked like a shopping centre in the civilised world. Hats of to them! Admittedly you never actually see anyone in those shops buying anything and of course the price of a handbag would be equivalent to ten lifetimes wages of your average Thai. But nevertheless nice to have them there to remind the savages of everything they can’t afford.

So yes I agree from an office in Bangkok things are looking pretty good, just so long as you can hop daintily over the lepers lying in the street and avoid the murderous locals, it is really almost looks like civilisation. Let’s give the natives a big slap on the back…not too hard in case they are suffering from leprously…

Lawdy, I'd better add a few smileys here in case anyone thinks I am being, anything other than a little playfully provocative...:-) :-) :-)

Your post, while funny, is intellectually facile.

This thread is about whether Thailand is a poor country,or a developing one. It is not about whether it is a successfully developed first world nation. My observations remain, and I stand by them.

A city full of cars is a sign of a developing country. The urban population is acquiring cars at a faster rate than the city planners are able to support them. This is not a Thai only problem. Go take a look around LA, Paris, Beijing etc. You will no doubt counter that Thai's can't afford their cars and are getting them for face; well, I'll counter that it's the same in LA, Paris, Beijing etc.

You suggest that noone is buying the goods in the shops. Utter nonsense. Are you suggesting that the world's retailers are moving to Bkk, investing huge amounts in setting up retail outlets just for the sake of doing it? If people weren't buying goods, the retailers would not be here. Now, of course, you'll counter that it's all on credit etc etc. I will then refer you back to LA, Paris, Beijing etc.

Hunger? I'm sorry. I simply don't buy the wfp data. How can it be trusted when it suggests that 4 times as many Thai's are malnourished than Myanmarese? Putting aside issues like that, I would want to know its criteria for malnourished and its methodology. I'm not even going to start on the notion that an organisation like WFP might have a vested interested in suggesting their is more hunger than there really is. On this, I can only cite personal experience and observation. Having been to many different parts of the country I've yet to see genuinely hungry people.

Yeah I don't buy those numbers either. They must be wrong. 21% for Thailand is way too high.

Probaly a fat wesyern girl was pissed everyone was thinner then her. Also how did they get the figures? Probabaly the same group who claimed 90% of Thai Teens in BKK were prostitutes :o

I think the 21% is probably correct. 'Undernourished' doesn't necessarily mean starving. I suspect it is liberal;y defined as lacking in certain essential vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients deemed necessary for a healthy diet.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Yes I agree Thailand is doing it it's own way and the natives are doing a fine job.

"streets full of cars" . Yes those Bangkok streets are certainly full of cars, can't fault you there, possibly a little too full of cars, one could argue. There are some that would go so far as to say that a city roughly the size of London could do with one or two more metro lines.

"well-fed people". Well apart from the 20% of Thais suffering from malnutrition (http://www.wfp.org/country_brief/hunger_map/map/hungermap_popup/map_popup.html) indeed there are some that are very well fed. Some are positively chubby.

"shops full of things to buy,". Ah yes I remember walking around Siam Paragon in BKK and seeing loads of shops full, as you say, of things to buy. It almost looked like a shopping centre in the civilised world. Hats of to them! Admittedly you never actually see anyone in those shops buying anything and of course the price of a handbag would be equivalent to ten lifetimes wages of your average Thai. But nevertheless nice to have them there to remind the savages of everything they can't afford.

So yes I agree from an office in Bangkok things are looking pretty good, just so long as you can hop daintily over the lepers lying in the street and avoid the murderous locals, it is really almost looks like civilisation. Let's give the natives a big slap on the back…not too hard in case they are suffering from leprously…

Your post, while funny, is intellectually facile.

This thread is about whether Thailand is a poor country,or a developing one. It is not about whether it is a successfully developed first world nation. My observations remain, and I stand by them.

A city full of cars is a sign of a developing country. The urban population is acquiring cars at a faster rate than the city planners are able to support them. This is not a Thai only problem. Go take a look around LA, Paris, Beijing etc. You will no doubt counter that Thai's can't afford their cars and are getting them for face; well, I'll counter that it's the same in LA, Paris, Beijing etc.

You suggest that noone is buying the goods in the shops. Utter nonsense. Are you suggesting that the world's retailers are moving to Bkk, investing huge amounts in setting up retail outlets just for the sake of doing it? If people weren't buying goods, the retailers would not be here. Now, of course, you'll counter that it's all on credit etc etc. I will then refer you back to LA, Paris, Beijing etc.

Hunger? I'm sorry. I simply don't buy the wfp data. How can it be trusted when it suggests that 4 times as many Thai's are malnourished than Myanmarese? Putting aside issues like that, I would want to know its criteria for malnourished and its methodology. I'm not even going to start on the notion that an organisation like WFP might have a vested interested in suggesting their is more hunger than there really is. On this, I can only cite personal experience and observation. Having been to many different parts of the country I've yet to see genuinely hungry people.

You sure you been up country?

There are many, many Thais going hungry every night, not able to even afford a single piece of stickmeat at days end, broke.

^ What parts of the country? And would you say it represents 21% of Thailand's 60+ million people?

Have you seen or heard of any Thai people that are starving to death?

Putting aside issues like that, I would want to know its criteria for malnourished and its methodology.

One of the reasons it says people are undernourished is because they lack enough knowledge of their dietary requirements to fulfill them. Not necessarily because there isn't enough food going around.

So for example lets take a rural Thai guy that eats three times a day but only chicken and rice for a year. He would be considered undernourished and part of the 21% of 'hungry' people.

Far different from reasons people are undernourished in Africa, North Korea etc.

Edited by burman

There are many, many Thais going hungry every night, not able to even afford a single piece of stickmeat at days end, broke.

I've seen many Farangs also that look like they can't afford a decent diet, shabby clothes and plastic 25 bht flip flops living in a 2500 Baht a month Fan room, and survive on boiled egg sandwiches and beer or cheap whisky :o

The main reason many Thais are still dirt poor is basically down to exploitation from the wealthier Thais..basically keep them down & don’t educate them, then they will be happy with 5 grand a month and a bowl of rice a day :o Really very sad considering the huge money Thailand Inc is now making

Really very sad considering the huge money Thailand Inc is now making

Great, so the Paragon and Emporium owners (as well as the shoppers wondering why some TV'er is checking to see if they are buying anything ...to report it on TVisa dammit!) can finally rest easy now.

:o

The determination of malnutrition is extemely subjective. I've spent some time in villages where the kids were fed, but they definately weren't consuming all the food groups on a dailly basis. This could be seen as malnutrition.

If Americans were as malnutritioned as Thais, they would probably add another 10 years to their lifes.