Why Is Thailand A Third World Country?

realmadrid25

"This disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition, though necessary both to establish and to maintain the distinction of ranks and the order of society, is, at the same time, the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments."

Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments (1759)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climate is the main factor. If you consider the whole of the world's tropics (both Cancer and Capricorn), the only bits of first world to be found there are Singapore, Hong Kong and Northern Australia.

Conclusion: If you are located in the tropics and don't let the Brits build your country, you are destined to millennia of poverty and misery.

Next question please...

Good post sir.So down under would also be a third world country if it wasnt for good old blighty? :o

Well, probably, yes........after all if the aborigines were running Australia today, it may well be classified as Third World, but since the British provided most of the stock of population and proceeded to build up the country over 200 years ago, it is most definitely First World.

:D G'day mate!

Yep, The powers that were thought they were shipping out the dregs of society when it turns out that the cream were the ones in chains and the dregs stayed at home. :D

Precisely. The only difference between a British criminal and, say, a British diplomat, politician or scholar is one of good fortune – being born to the right family. Genetically they are the same and, of course, equally capable of ruling the empire.

The only floor in my argument, if you haven’t already spotted it, is why is the UK a bit naff these days compared to the sensational ex-empire countries like Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore?

But anyway…back to Thailand…

Thais have a different value system. Being rich at all costs is not important, having ambtion is not important. Being at peace is more important than winning wars.

Relatively speaking, of course. Relatively speaking they are not that poor either.

I think we can safely say that they are not as ambitious as Hong Kongians, for example.

People have enough food, roofs over their heads, plenty of friends - they don't NEED much more than that, I don't need much more than that. If I was living back home I'd be a different person as well but now I'm lazier than most Thais I know, and I can justify it to myself. Great.

Thais are not poor; on the contrary, they are one of the richest folks around. Let me explain. A rich person can:

1) Not think about tomorrow.

2) Not think about the day after tomorrow, let alone one week or a year.

3) Spend as much time on the cell phone, eating and watching soap operas per day, as doing actual work.

4) Go to work (if one has) and really do little or nothing.

5) Change jobs or professions like they desire, be it weekly, monthly or yearly.

6) Go to school, learn nothing but yet get a "decent" job.

7) Sit around and do nothing.

8) Have multiple girlfriends/boyfriends at one time.

9) Drink and gamble like there is no tomorrow.

10) In case of being a male, spending upwards of 20% of your waking time drunk.

11) Being free of any responsibility.

12) Being unaccountable for most things.

13) When asked about something they either don't know, don't want to do or can't do; simply say "I have headache, I go home".

14) Take 2-3 days of at work because mama split her finger nail and needs assistance changing channels with the remote control for the TV.

:o

As one of the managing members of a company in Thailand.... I have got to say you hit a lot of those points square on. We had one girl quit because she saw a "ghost" at the office. I guess the ghost was shy around Americans or something?

"This disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition, though necessary both to establish and to maintain the distinction of ranks and the order of society, is, at the same time, the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments."

Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments (1759)

Some might say a very accurate description of LOS. I wonder where he wrote it... :o

Thais are not poor; on the contrary, they are one of the richest folks around. Let me explain. A rich person can:

1) Not think about tomorrow.

2) Not think about the day after tomorrow, let alone one week or a year.

3) Spend as much time on the cell phone, eating and watching soap operas per day, as doing actual work.

4) Go to work (if one has) and really do little or nothing.

5) Change jobs or professions like they desire, be it weekly, monthly or yearly.

6) Go to school, learn nothing but yet get a "decent" job.

7) Sit around and do nothing.

8) Have multiple girlfriends/boyfriends at one time.

9) Drink and gamble like there is no tomorrow.

10) In case of being a male, spending upwards of 20% of your waking time drunk.

11) Being free of any responsibility.

12) Being unaccountable for most things.

13) When asked about something they either don't know, don't want to do or can't do; simply say "I have headache, I go home".

14) Take 2-3 days of at work because mama split her finger nail and needs assistance changing channels with the remote control for the TV.

:D

As one of the managing members of a company in Thailand.... I have got to say you hit a lot of those points square on. We had one girl quit because she saw a "ghost" at the office. I guess the ghost was shy around Americans or something?

And seeing ghosts is just one of 1000's of excuses they can come up with, and yes will leave their jobs, no reason nor rime will prevent. Have experienced that as a manager here. This is easy said (a previous post from a Mr. Know it all):

"What a load of rubbish, posted no doubt by another Farang that feels so fawking superior, you're the type that spouts off on the Internet, yet when you actually face Thai people you are totally humble and jump through all kinds of hoops not to upset them."

when……………

1) One has never employed people in Thailand

2) One has only employed friends and families

3) Being a sugar daddy with loads of dosh

4) Retiree who's biggest responsibility of the day is either mixing the morning coffee or fetching more beer

Edited by PlaShadow

Poor thais are not that poor and this is not a third world country

Tell me a country were someone earning a poor wage here say around 6000-1000 baht can

buy a house. Poor thais can buy governemt flats here subsidised for about 1500 a month, 2

bed 1 bath and if you earn even 15,000 as many do you can buy a fairly decent 3 bed house 2 bath for

about 4000 baht a month with 50,000 baht down so housing costs are very very low. Then take

taxes and things like property tax its non existant almost for poor thais - compare that to those

on very low wages in UK or USA or say $ 400 a week (around 50,000 baht a month) now take

food you can actually live ok here for around 2000 baht a month for food. Transport nearly every

thai has at least a motorbike

I'm not saying id want to live like that I would not I need about 100,000 ++ a month minimum

but then I use aircon a lot have 2 cars have sat TV eat out at expensive places and live very well

But think about it who do you really think is better off a poor Thai on say 6000-1000 baht a month

or a poor person in UK or USA on $ 400 a week

It's in the interest of the "öwners" of this country to keep the masses under control: ie, keeping them dumb. Feed them cheap rice so their tummys are full (no need for revolutions) cheap petrol, game shows, soap operas and music, and lots and lots of propaganda which tells them they are the best, the greatest, happiest, luckiest, everythingest race on earth and that their country is the centre of the universe. I can totally understand why Thais think the way the do. Generally they have been brain-washed since birth. They don't know, and don't see the need to know any better. I can completely understand why they think and behave the way that they do. And actually providing the average Thai intends to live and die in Thailand why do they need to change? To some extent I envy them. They feel totally confident in their surroundings "Thai Ruk Thai" and all that stuff. However, for those who do venture outside of Thailand, they find the real world that most can not survive in.

I am not judging them, it's just my understanding and perception of the situation and environment around me.

What you said there reminds me of a book I just read. "Stupid white men" Michael Moore. He was describing his fellow countrymen at the time. Not saying its true or anything. Are you Michael Moore? :o

It's in the interest of the "öwners" of THAT country ( UNITED STATES OF AMERICA )to keep the masses under control: ie, keeping them dumb. Feed them cheap HAMBURGERS so their tummies are full (no need for revolutions (ANYMORE) , cheap GAS, game shows, OPRA, soap operas and RAP music, and lots and lots of propaganda which tells them they are the best, the greatest, happiest, luckiest, everythingest race on earth and that their country (THE U.S.A.) is the center of the universe. I can totally understand why AMERICANS think the way the do. Generally they have been brain-washed since birth. They don't know, and don't see the need to know any better. I can completely understand why they think and behave the way that they do. And actually providing the average AMERICAN intends to live and die in AMERICA why do they need to change? To some extent I envy them. They feel totally confident in their surroundings (GOD BLESS AMERICA) and all that stuff. However, for those who do venture outside of AMERICA, they find the real world that most can not survive in.

I am not judging them, it's just my understanding and perception of the situation and environment around me.

What you said there reminds me of a book I just read. "Stupid white men" Michael Moore. He was describing his fellow countrymen at the time. Not saying its true or anything. Are you Michael Moore? :D

My apologies to Barky, but I think the same applies to many countries. :o

Part 1

The most common answer on ThaiVisa seems to be an 'Elite Thai' conspiracy. I don't know that much about wide scale economics to comment definitively but the biggest flaw I see in this logic is that as a country grows richer, the richest people maintain their proportion of the wealth. Do you really believe that the owners are CP are sitting around saying "Thank God those Isaanites only have X baht in their bank account?"... It seems doubtful.

Business is business and I think blaming the problem on Thai businessmen can only be done out of jealousy/idiocy. If anything, it would make more sense to place the blame/conspiracy theories on government bureaucracy. Someone mentioned that Singapore issues several times as many foreign work permits as Thailand despite only being a fraction of the size. The most prosperous countries are those who are most liberal to business and foreign investment.

The second problem which cannot be avoided is bad habits among the poor and the idea in their minds that if you are born poor, you will remain poor. Many on Thai Visa view this as 'Elite' brainwashing, but I don't see it that way. The poor people who are smart enough to succeed will see through it and the dumb ones will keep following it. Social Darwinism. Thai kids know that gambling, smoking and drinking is bad, yet they choose to do it anyways as adults. At the end of the day, I think the poor Thais have to take responsibility for their bad habits and they cannot be blamed on the rich.

Regardless, this is an interesting discussion because many of the people on this board would not be able to afford to continue living here if it was not a third world conspiracy, so maybe they owe the Elite Thais a thank you....

1. I don't think Thailand qualifies any longer as a "third world country"

2. As to why many Thais are poor.....you could write a long book about that.

3. Have you ever tried to run a business in Thailand? If you did you would quickly find out a lot about the way that real Thai society works.

4. I once had some Thai-Chinese friends, all merchants or shop-owners, members of what they jokingly called the "Thai-Chinese Chamber of Congress". Once a month they all met for a Chinese food dinner. At the end of the dinner, they bid on a 30 day loan from the groups funds. The bid they made was based on 100 baht of the loan, for example a bid of 103 baht meant you intended to pay a 3 baht profit for each 100 baht (pretty high, but you get the idea). The usual loan for each month was 10,000 Baht. The person who made the highest bid was given the loan and 30 days to pay it back (with stated profit) at that time. That person also was the one who had to pay for the dinner the next month. Of course, if you really planned to make 5 baht per 100 baht with that loan, and your winning bid was 3 baht per 100 baht, then you got to keep the 2 baht for yourself...minus whatever it cost to pay for the dinner.

Anyway, the whole point of that story was....they were mostly Thai-Chinese bussinesmen...the only full Thais allowed had to be wealthy or very well known. Each person put up an amount of money in order to enter the group.

5. But to cut his short....as I said....you could write a long book about why many Thais are poor.

Climate is the main factor. If you consider the whole of the world's tropics (both Cancer and Capricorn), the only bits of first world to be found there are Singapore, Hong Kong and Northern Australia.

Conclusion: If you are located in the tropics and don't let the Brits build your country, you are destined to millennia of poverty and misery.

Next question please...

Good post sir.So down under would also be a third world country if it wasnt for good old blighty? :o

Well, probably, yes........after all if the aborigines were running Australia today, it may well be classified as Third World, but since the British provided most of the stock of population and proceeded to build up the country over 200 years ago, it is most definitely First World.

Yep, The powers that were thought they were shipping out the dregs of society when it turns out that the cream were the ones in chains and the dregs stayed at home. :D

Precisely. The only difference between a British criminal and, say, a British diplomat, politician or scholar is one of good fortune – being born to the right family. Genetically they are the same and, of course, equally capable of ruling the empire.

The only floor in my argument, if you haven’t already spotted it, is why is the UK a bit naff these days compared to the sensational ex-empire countries like Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore?

And of course you must agree aswell that the invading British colonists and the exterminated race of Tasmanian aboriginies were genetically the same?

Why Is Thailand A Third World Country?, Why are most Thais poor?

why do people try to vent their frustration by asking silly questions?

Because....some folks like to "Stir it Up".

Bob Marley did it, way back in 1967 when he composed Stir it Up and pleased the world, unlike the OP with (another) non sense thread:

LaoPo

Next question please...

Good post sir.So down under would also be a third world country if it wasnt for good old blighty? :D

The only floor in my argument, if you haven't already spotted it, is why is the UK a bit naff these days compared to the sensational ex-empire countries like Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore?

You've guessed it.........been back to the UK lately? The country is being over run by non ethnic Brits.

Lot's of us have left and are now living in those places mentioned.

Don't worry Thailand, we're here to assist your struggle in the 21st century, yes we are in the 21st century. :D:D:o

I think the reasons for Thailand to be a 3-d world country are: not being able to accept criticism from other people and not criticising themselves (not to "loose face"); thinking that changes will only bring bad things, so better to stick with the old; having more children than they can take care of; not much education, culture in the country; bad money management, corruption.

It's in the interest of the "öwners" of this country to keep the masses under control: ie, keeping them dumb. Feed them cheap rice so their tummys are full (no need for revolutions) cheap petrol, game shows, soap operas and music, and lots and lots of propaganda which tells them they are the best, the greatest, happiest, luckiest, everythingest race on earth and that their country is the centre of the universe. I can totally understand why Thais think the way the do. Generally they have been brain-washed since birth. They don't know, and don't see the need to know any better. I can completely understand why they think and behave the way that they do. And actually providing the average Thai intends to live and die in Thailand why do they need to change? To some extent I envy them. They feel totally confident in their surroundings "Thai Ruk Thai" and all that stuff. However, for those who do venture outside of Thailand, they find the real world that most can not survive in.

I am not judging them, it's just my understanding and perception of the situation and environment around me./quote]

Totally agree, the amount of brain wash here beats everything.

I think the reasons for Thailand to be a 3-d world country are: not being able to accept criticism from other people and not criticising themselves (not to "loose face"); thinking that changes will only bring bad things, so better to stick with the old; having more children than they can take care of; not much education, culture in the country; bad money management, corruption.

Yes, RoyalOrchid, but as many here have tried to point out, this post is about Thailand, not the US . . .

Yes, RoyalOrchid, but as many here have tried to point out, this post is about Thailand, not the US . . .

trying hard to be a smart ass? it didn't work

My dear english chum. I don't need to try hard at all.

Look . here's the rub. Thailand is not a thirdworld country. It's a developing country with all the income disparities and challenges that brings.

If some of you malcontents pulled your heads out of your bitter <deleted>, put down that Beer Chang, stepped out of your one room apartments and mixed with people other than farmer's daughters from Isaan, you might see a completely different place.

But, then, that would only serve to fuel resentment about bad decisions and lack of choices further, wouldnt it?

Thailand is a 3rd world/developing country because they don't deserve any better.

They repeatedly ask for training and go on learning trips to allegedly see how things are done in other countries (i.e. learn about efficiency) but then refuse to implement what they have learned because "its not how its done in Thailand".........well no $hit and that is why it is a 3rd world/developing country.

Now before everyone starts bashing me about if you don't like it then leave that is not my point.

No one wants to see the extinction of the local som taam lady but we would like to see the demise of, for example, police cutting off ladies arms!!

In short, the country is run by clowns and it is the Thais that keep electing them (for whatever reason).

This is one area where foreigners can't be blamed.

There are a thousand things wrong with Thailand. There are a thousand things that, if done differently, would make life much better.

But it's not up to us to impose our value system on the development of another sovereign territory. What people fail to realise is that most of these so-called developing countries are cramming 200-250 years of development into 20-25 years; it's obvious there will be mistakes, ructions, injustices occuring. Do you think similar things didnt happen in the UK's development? Go look at your history books and look at issues like corruption, wealth disparities, injustices that prevailed over decades and decades before - seemingly - smoothing themselves out in the 20th century.

Russia and China took a quicker, more brutal route to developing, with mixed results. Singapore and, to a lesser extent, Malaysia took another more successful route.

Thailand is doing it its own way. And as I sit in my office looking at the streets full of cars, luxury office buildings, shops full of things to buy, and well-fed people going about their business, I dont think they are doing as bad a job as we like to think.

Edited by bendix

Hey people.If you still think Thailand is a 3rd world country,take an extended visit to Laos! :D

The land of noodle soup,noodle soup,sticky rice,sticky rice,bamboo huts & everything with a covering of red dust,oh yes & did i mention noodle soup?

I think they export all their rice which makes it expensive compared to thailand.No 7 elevens or tescos.Apart from the capital & luang prabang,the average person in Laos is living at a level just above caveman :o ,& most things are imported from impoverished thailand,hence its common for goods to be double in price.

Laos is one of my favourite countries to visit in the region though,with lovely people & countryside.

Hey people.If you still think Thailand is a 3rd world country,take an extended visit to Laos! :D

The land of noodle soup,noodle soup,sticky rice,sticky rice,bamboo huts & everything with a covering of red dust,oh yes & did i mention noodle soup?

I think they export all their rice which makes it expensive compared to thailand.No 7 elevens or tescos.Apart from the capital & luang prabang,the average person in Laos is living at a level just above caveman :o ,& most things are imported from impoverished thailand,hence its common for goods to be double in price.

Laos is one of my favourite countries to visit in the region though,with lovely people & countryside.

But boy, do they make great pastries. :D

There are a thousand things wrong with Thailand. There are a thousand things that, if done differently, would make life much better.

But it's not up to us to impose our value system on the development of another sovereign territory. What people fail to realise is that most of these so-called developing countries are cramming 200-250 years of development into 20-25 years; it's obvious there will be mistakes, ructions, injustices occuring. Do you think similar things didnt happen in the UK's development? Go look at your history books and look at issues like corruption, wealth disparities, injustices that prevailed over decades and decades before - seemingly - smoothing themselves out in the 20th century.

Russia and China took a quicker, more brutal route to developing, with mixed results. Singapore and, to a lesser extent, Malaysia took another more successful route.

Thailand is doing it its own way. And as I sit in my office looking at the streets full of cars, luxury office buildings, shops full of things to buy, and well-fed people going about their business, I dont think they are doing as bad a job as we like to think.

Great assessment , and who said bendix was just a pretty face. :o

This is the best post in this whole topic. People should read this, if they disagree then read this again and repeat until you agree