Uk Immigration - The European Angle., Are You A Dual National?

Can my g/f go this route I hold British + Irish passports and my g/f is the mother of our daughter who holds British + Thai passports.

Need a UK visitor visa for the g/f and if this route is easier than all the hassle at the British embassy then I would prefer the easier option.

Edited by jflundy

In order to benefit from the European legislation, your girlfriend will have to be construed as your family member. To be a family member, she must be either your wife or your unmarried partner. The latter is defined as those who have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years.

An interesting thought, to which I don't immediately know the answer, but which might be worth researching, is what if you were to obtain an Irish passport for your daughter? Your girlfriend could possibly then be perceived as a dependant of her own daughter and apply for a family permit free of charge.

Scouse.

In order to benefit from the European legislation, your girlfriend will have to be construed as your family member. To be a family member, she must be either your wife or your unmarried partner. The latter is defined as those who have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years.

An interesting thought, to which I don't immediately know the answer, but which might be worth researching, is what if you were to obtain an Irish passport for your daughter? Your girlfriend could possibly then be perceived as a dependant of her own daughter and apply for a family permit free of charge.

Scouse.

I tried to do exactly the same thing between my girlfriend and our daughter who is a US citizen. The final word that I received from the US Embassy was: "In order for your girlfriend to be considered a dependant of her US citizen daughter, the daughter has to be at least 18." Again. This was US, and you may have different outcome in your case.