Visa Run To Vientiane

Gonna do my next visa run to Laos instead of Penang since Penang is being so difficult now...

My questions-

1) It seems cheapest to fly BKK to Udon Thani and then go over the bridge to Laos. Can someone detail how to do that- from the airport to Vientiane in the same day?

2) Do I need to get a Laos visa in advance this way or can I still get one at the bridge on the way over? Is it still $35 US?

3) Once in Vientiane, where do I go the next morning to apply for the visa? Is a double entry tourist visa still possible? Cost? Address of the visa office?

4) Also, where can I change money- I remember this being difficult last time I was in Laos.

5) Any recommendations of activities for a solo female while I am waiting around? Good food?

6) Once I have picked up the visa, how do I get back to the airport in Udon?

Thanks for any advice. :o

Oh also, how long do I have to wait for the visa? I heard 2 days, so does that mean if I apply on Monday I could pick up on Wednesday or would it be Thursday?

Thanks for helping me plan!!!!

Gonna do my next visa run to Laos instead of Penang since Penang is being so difficult now...

My questions-

1) It seems cheapest to fly BKK to Udon Thani and then go over the bridge to Laos. Can someone detail how to do that- from the airport to Vientiane in the same day?

2) Do I need to get a Laos visa in advance this way or can I still get one at the bridge on the way over? Is it still $35 US?

3) Once in Vientiane, where do I go the next morning to apply for the visa? Is a double entry tourist visa still possible? Cost? Address of the visa office?

4) Also, where can I change money- I remember this being difficult last time I was in Laos.

5) Any recommendations of activities for a solo female while I am waiting around? Good food?

6) Once I have picked up the visa, how do I get back to the airport in Udon?

Thanks for any advice. :o

hi girlx

1 ya only an hour away from border by taxi or bus (maybe a bit less)

2 ya can get a laos visa there but ive heard on here ya can get one bkk before hand!

3 double entry are issued, everyone knows where it is taxis etc, i thats cos everyone going there goes

4money changers there but they take bhat just about everywhere, maybe round the prices up, but thats gonna happen anyway

5 shopping isnt it!!!!!!

6 visa hand in upto (ithink) 11am collect next working day after 1pm (i think)

browse through this thread girlx lots of input from lots of us handy hints times etc

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=158561&hl=

have a good one!!!

chris

Hi GirlX,

With regards to obtaining a Laotian visa, you can get one easily from the Laos Embassy in BKK... it's located between Huay Kwang & Ramkhamhaeng Road... on Soi 39 Ramkhamhaeng... you can arrange a visa in one day (usually within one hour)... cost is less than 1500B.

Cheers, Felix :o

Hi GirlX,

With regards to obtaining a Laotian visa, you can get one easily from the Laos Embassy in BKK... it's located between Huay Kwang & Ramkhamhaeng Road... on Soi 39 Ramkhamhaeng... you can arrange a visa in one day (usually within one hour)... cost is less than 1500B.

Cheers, Felix :o

And with the Lao visa in hand you can take the international bus directly to Vientiane.Save time and trouble! :D

The Lao embassy in Bangkok has the same prices as they charge at the border + 200 baht express fee (to get the visa quick). So it is always more expensive to get your visa there (not counting the subway + taxi fees you have to pay).

"1) It seems cheapest to fly BKK to Udon Thani and then go over the bridge to Laos. Can someone detail how to do that- from the airport to Vientiane in the same day? "

Easy, even with the last flight into UT, you will make it before the border closes, (it is closed at 10 PM). Of course if you want to minimize your time in VT then you need to get the earliest flight out, to make it in time to apply for the visa. When arriving at UT airport, there are minibusses (150 baht) that take you to the border in about one hour, then take the bus to Lao immigration, get visa, get stamp, then taxi into VT for 250 baht or cheaper if taking shared taxi, tuk tuk or songtaewn.

"2) Do I need to get a Laos visa in advance this way or can I still get one at the bridge on the way over? Is it still $35 US?"

Yes you should get a visa on arrival (see above), fee depending on nationality, US citizens pay 35 USD.

"3) Once in Vientiane, where do I go the next morning to apply for the visa? Is a double entry tourist visa still possible? Cost? Address of the visa office? "

Yep, double entry is possible, embassy is just past the paxuthai monument. Google for address. Taxis and tuk tuk all know it.

"4) Also, where can I change money- I remember this being difficult last time I was in Laos. "

Plenty of banks can change money, take baht.

"5) Any recommendations of activities for a solo female while I am waiting around? Good food?"

Excellent food, go to the riverside, for great Lao food, watch out for the street vendor type of establishments, they are a good 500 meters up the river from BCEL bank. That's also one of the growing number of ATM's in the city, if you want to use them.

"6) Once I have picked up the visa, how do I get back to the airport in Udon? "

You could take the bus from Talad Sao to UT.