Living On Us$1000 Per Month

Gary74

US$1,000/month - Poor lifestyle

US$2,000/month - Basic lifestyle

US$3,000/month - Reasonable lifestyle

US$4,000/month - Comfortable lifestyle

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

I guess I go cheap. I've been trying to imagine how I could spend 120,000 baht/mo for a "comfortable lifestyle".

I don't like a lot of rich falang food, I'm not an alky, I'm not trying to impress anyone, don't care to be stalled in a big SUV, don't want to rattle around in a 3,000 sq ft residence, support a coven of "girlfriends", etc. Sure as hel_l don't want to go on a lot of visits to the old country.

Should I feel deprived? I don't.

who would like to rattle around in a claustrophobic tiny residence with only 280m²? :o

What is claustrophobic to some is "cozy" to others. Plus, remember the OP is single and based on the simple lifestyle he expressly desires, probably doesn't plan to hire a maid/cook & gardener to pick up after him and take care of the estate like you must have to support your own lifestyle. For some, "less is more." :D

Edited by toptuan

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a thin fine line between living in STyle and comfort and just Simple silly and old farted .. careful when you try to draw that fine line of rich and stylish .. :o -

:D

YO you better becarfull .. -- spending $500 usd on lifestyle and $3500usd on Drug is not stylish !!!

what are you smoking when you type this ?

Edited by Ta22

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

I second the motion.

Now I know where the term "Cheap Charlies" came from

:o:D

Don't pay too much heed to the neo-sahibs who dominate these forums. One can live comfortable on $1,000 a month in Chiang Mai as far as normal day to day living expenses if you have not bought into the corporate consumerist material lifestyle. Now there are certain issues that others have noted, such as the minimum income required for a longer term visa. And as others have noted, you had best have reserves, just as anywhere. for unexpected health care needs. And you will also need to have a significant sum for startup costs such as transportation and housing needs. But once you get past those start up costs, and once you have planned and saved for medical emergencies, then day to day expenses can easily be met with a budget of $1,000 per month. Although as mentioned here, you may not be able to compete with some of the posters here relative to daily alcohol consumption and long and short term sexual needs paid to Thais for providing such services. But I daresay, if you are willing to co-habit with an age appropriate partner, even those needs can be met at the cost of room and board.

I also think $1000 per month is doable and live my life accordingly. I also have reserve funds for other things as well including emergencies until my pension and SSA checks kicks in. I've visited Chainag Mai few times but never lived there and I just wanted to hear from expats. I find Chiangmia and Udon to be more liveable cities versus Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya which I'm very familiar with and expensive compare to CM and Udon. I noticed that biggest expenses for some expats is always young girls and alcohol with the water buffalo stories but I know all that. I'm a middle age men who is too young to get retirement visa but can get ED visa until I turn 50 which is several years away.

I see there are some jaded people here and I guess you'll get them all over the world.

Edited by Gary74

Well if you arent looking for a Thai girl, I hope you dont play golf. Cheapest around Chiang Mai is Sand Creek at 200 Baht, but realistically you need to budget for an average of around 1.5k Baht a round playing better courses. I reckon I spend aroud GBP 80 (5000 Baht) a week on 3 rounds of golf. This does not include fuel!

Well if you arent looking for a Thai girl, I hope you dont play golf. Cheapest around Chiang Mai is Sand Creek at 200 Baht, but realistically you need to budget for an average of around 1.5k Baht a round playing better courses. I reckon I spend aroud GBP 80 (5000 Baht) a week on 3 rounds of golf. This does not include fuel!

Exactly Iainiain,

What do these super-budget-retirees intend to do with their days? Sit around and read borrowed books all day because thay can't afford to buy a good quality novel from Ghecko Books. And when they can't afford the book they bitch and complain about the price of such!!

Get a real life.

All the above is my opinion and not to be confused with that of others,

If you truly live the simple life, you can life off $800 EASY. I mean EASY. That's mostly eating Thai food. You can get a room with AC and Wi/Fi internet for about 3000-4000 a month. Food $150 ($5 a day, more if you eat western food a lot). This leaves with at least $500 for beer...women...gas for your moto...books...movies...beer...etc...

$3000 a month...I don't know what kind of crack these people are smoking. Yea, maybe if you have a 5 bedroom house with 3 19 yr old maids to service you daily and eat pizza hut and KFC and spend $20 on breakfast every day...

I find it interesting that so many expats live very different lifes in Thailand.

I only stay in Thailand 2 months every year and I have problems to spend more than $1000 a month .

And I drink my beer and have fun too.

My apartment in Pattaya with WiFi is about 8000 Baht . So then I have about 25000 Baht to have fun for a whole month. Its enough for meals (thai food) and drinks both for me and my gf. :o

Get a real life.

All the above is my opinion and not to be confused with that of others,

Reality is in the eyes of the beholder. What you may perceive as having a "real life" I may perceive as something else. In any event, your opinion reveals a rather prejudiced attitude towards others who, for whatever reason, do not share your chosen lifestyle. In America we call such people Republicans. :o

I also think $1000 per month is doable and live my life accordingly. I also have reserve funds for other things as well including emergencies until my pension and SSA checks kicks in. I've visited Chainag Mai few times but never lived there and I just wanted to hear from expats. I find Chiangmia and Udon to be more liveable cities versus Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya which I'm very familiar with and expensive compare to CM and Udon. I noticed that biggest expenses for some expats is always young girls and alcohol with the water buffalo stories but I know all that. I'm a middle age men who is too young to get retirement visa but can get ED visa until I turn 50 which is several years away.

I see there are some jaded people here and I guess you'll get them all over the world.

Gary, if that US$1000 is after taxes, and after a medical insurance policy, come ahead and enjoy Chiang Mai. But if you will be on an ED visa for several years, what will your educational fees cost you? If you are GI with the VA paying for you to attend Payap, then you are really living on more than a thousand dollars every month. But that's fine. Of course, your pension and SSA will not kick in for a long, long time (during which, the SSA will decrease dramatically). Some of us just think that it is foolish to move across the world on a slim budget, if it means you cannot afford trips home to family and friends. But maybe you are alone in the world, and that does not matter. Or, as you mention, you will be dipping into those savings to purchase vehicles, travel around, and pay for medical emergencies. Good luck.

(Geez, I never thought I would end up being categorized as one of the big spenders)

While a number of members are aware that I live in the sticks and rarely go to town, I consider my life style to be superior to many.

I never normally withdraw more than 25,000B a month. I thought I was going to have to last month as the car insurance was due but my Mrs happily produced the 15K from her personal stash. (Saved from the monthly 25,000).

I employ a part time maid, run a 3 year old D-Max and a Honda motorcy, eat some Farang style food every day... bacon, dairy stuff, drink more alcohol than what's good for me (Leo beer and Tachilek Scotch) and have Internet and Satellite TV.

The secret, of course, is to own your own house. Mine is two story, good views, all mod cons and all it costs me are the utilities bills.

What do these super-budget-retirees intend to do with their days? Sit around and read borrowed books all day because thay can't afford to buy a good quality novel from Ghecko Books. ......

Johpa, is believing that a newly purchased book is better than a borrowed one an example of "bought into the corporate consumerist material lifestyle."?

Anyway, I can find choices other than borrowed books or 1,500 baht for a good walk spoiled. :o

Not that our megabaht members would do something as "pedestrian" as walk the course.

I second the motion.

I'm glad, BB, that you add 'based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live'. I live for many years already on 1000US$ or less (before with my partner and now alone with my dogs). I certainly can't say that I feel 'poor' or 'uncomfortable' in my lifestyle or that I go cheap. On the contrary, I feel I live quite a rich and comfortable lifestyle. But then, in my case I get my joy out of watching and caring for the animals and when they play and interact, watching and listening to the trees, plants and wildlife in my garden and rice field next door, and being able to smell the wonderful sents of the flowers. I love the feeling of driving for which you don't need a fancy car. I hardly drink. I don't care much about materialistic stuff, fancy clothes or jewelry, etc.

Thus, what's is poor, basic, reasonable, comfortable is all upto the individual preferences and not upto the amount of money one has or spends. Some need a lot of money in order to gain a feeling of fullfilment, others don't.

Nienke

Johpa, is believing that a newly purchased book is better than a borrowed one

In Blinky's defense, I think that he is referring to the thousand year old, sticky, Grishams and Clancys predominant in many bar's "libraries" around town.

Blinky usually tends to go for the latest Bill Bryson or newly published Military History as opposed to beach reading. Not many lending libraries in Chiang Mai tend to stock this kind of stuff. :o

I'm thinking about retiring soon in Chiang Mai. Is US$1000 per month enough to live off? I have no dependents and in good health. I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.

NO.

Too many cheap charlies here already.

Stay home and wait for your pension.

Spending wisely and just paying silly rate have a fine line between trying to get thing cheap ,

i usually tips . between 20 baht - 100 baht depend . on where i go and if the waitress is with a big smile ,

i eat from street hawker to resturant , that charge me 300 baht just for a fried rice which do not taste better then thos ei ate on the street .

i rather spend my money treating my friends a round of cheap beer then drinking a bottle of 74 alone .

well i am cheap when it come to my spending but i am alway happy to buy you a beer :o

you judge if i am cheap

In Blinky's defense, I think that he is referring to the thousand year old, sticky, Grishams and Clancys predominant in many bar's "libraries" around town.

Blinky usually tends to go for the latest Bill Bryson or newly published Military History as opposed to beach reading. Not many lending libraries in Chiang Mai tend to stock this kind of stuff. :o

Do you stock books on logic?

Again, false choice. There are so many ways to live.

If people will try not look down on me because I spend less than they do, I will try not to speculate about their self-image issues.

Gary, if that US$1000 is after taxes, and after a medical insurance policy, come ahead and enjoy Chiang Mai. But if you will be on an ED visa for several years, what will your educational fees cost you? If you are GI with the VA paying for you to attend Payap, then you are really living on more than a thousand dollars every month. But that's fine. Of course, your pension and SSA will not kick in for a long, long time (during which, the SSA will decrease dramatically). Some of us just think that it is foolish to move across the world on a slim budget, if it means you cannot afford trips home to family and friends. But maybe you are alone in the world, and that does not matter. Or, as you mention, you will be dipping into those savings to purchase vehicles, travel around, and pay for medical emergencies. Good luck.

(Geez, I never thought I would end up being categorized as one of the big spenders)

I'm looking forward to live in CM since it's affordable and colorful city with culture and history. And I'm tired of Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya which I find it to be too commercial and superficial. I used to enjoy visiting those cities when I was younger but outgrew that.

I can live off $2000 per month if I wanted to since I have over $600,000 US dollars plus pension and SSA(later on). As Johpa said, I also think I can live a nice lifestyle as long as I know my limits and keep within my budget. From my experience, main reasons why most farangs are forced to go home is due to poor health and lack of money. And I don't want to be standing with my pants down as I get older. I guess I needed to hear from CM expats who decided to make that move with similar financial situation.

Edited by Gary74

Personally i like Leo beer . Cost me about 1usd a large bottle enough for two mug .

I think drinking beer from a mug might be going a bit far - haven't done that since i was a student! I think his finances can stretch enough for some glasses! :o

I think drinking beer from a mug might be going a bit far - haven't done that since i was a student! I think his finances can stretch enough for some glasses! :D

Obviously not British or European :o Nothing wrong with drinking beer from a mug....

sp4-sp5.jpg

I'm thinking about retiring soon in Chiang Mai. Is US$1000 per month enough to live off? I have no dependents and in good health. I don't need much but enough to enjoy simple things in life.

I'm living in CM on $600/month, not that difficult.

I think drinking beer from a mug might be going a bit far - haven't done that since i was a student! I think his finances can stretch enough for some glasses! :D

Obviously not British or European :o Nothing wrong with drinking beer from a mug....

sp4-sp5.jpg

Very nice mugs although you might need a bionic arm to get it off the table to your mouth. :D

I think i'll be sticking to my trusty English pint glass.

sp4-sp5.jpg

Absolutely nothing to do with Britain, please do not include us in your European stereotypes. A brit drinking from one of these would probably get hurt.

sp4-sp5.jpg

Absolutely nothing to do with Britain, please do not include us in your European stereotypes. A brit drinking from one of these would probably get hurt.

True ... a sprained wrist and a torn bicep are what immediately comes to mind, should a Brit try and lift something that heavy!

Very nice mugs although you might need a bionic arm to get it off the table to your mouth.

I think i'll be sticking to my trusty English pint glass.

Actually lighter than an English pint beer mug, although pint glasses are lighter I'll give you that. However, back on topic........$1,000 a month is a bare minimum, but you can definitely survive on it, as many people do here. A small Thai style apartment including utilities, at around 4000 to 5000 baht a month leaves you around 800 baht a day for living. You could eat carefully for a few days, and then treat yourself to some horizontal enjoyment, and a decent meal. :o