Well Done, Old Girl

bike1.jpg

I remember when we first met, there you were straight from Nashbar in your shiny red paint and bright yellow lettering. Now 16 years later from our first meeting in Khamis Mushayt, Saudi Arabia and over 100.000 miles, it's time that you retired. What memories we've had from those early morning circuits to the Hanging Village, that fantastic trip to Mount Soudah. Then it was back to England and those trips, I think we done everything from hills to long flat rides and finally out to Bangkok with me.

You were rebuilt about 11 years ago by our great friend and mentor, Alan B, who died about 18 months ago. Could I put new wider rims on you as your 700x25 are not really suitable for Thai roads? Could I fit a new chainset on you? 53/39 is getting a bit too high for me to push these days. I could do both of these and much more for you but I prefer to leave you as you are as a tribute to Alan, I hope you understand.

How's the new bike? Just a Trek 7200, 700x35s with a 48/36/24 triple - we just had our first ride today and it felt nice. I'm not saying that you and I will never feel the thrill of the open road again. Don't worry, I'm not going to strip you down and use your bits, neither will you be relegated to the back of the bike shed with all the junk - you have pride of place in the shed and also on my heart.