Its All Happeneing In Kpn These Days

there is so much going on in KPN at the moment (an i'm not talking about those stupid milk the farang parties).

the big festival at the wat in chaloklam finished a couple of weeks ago. then we just had the food fair which had some great live music on the main stage. we just had a festival at the wat in seathanu with some good thai/essan singers. the main wat in tongsala has just started a festival. there's the film festival and a really cool weekly jam session/hang out at moo 6 every sunday night.

i expect things will quiet down after songkran but for now, every evening is something new, cool!

yeah it has been a lot more fun lately. the film festival was a huge disappointment though, i thought. still, would love to see more varied events on the island.

there was a lot of rain on the 2nd day, but i just thought it wasn't organized very well. there was no one talking about the films, no intermission between them (5 straight hours on hard plastic chairs), no feeling of a "festival" ...not just my comments but comments from others there. and most of the films were not great- the first day they were overly religious! (ick)... the second day they were just too long. i understand it was their first try though, maybe it will be better next year.

p.s. i would also like to hear about the jam sessions at moo 6 (where?) and any other events people know of

Edited by girlx

Exciting times indeed. Can you tell me more about the jam session at moo 6 - specifically where it is?

ta.

the jan session is hosted by a dutch guy called Robert, he's been here a long time and owns a lot of stuff. he has the big white house on the beach in wok tum bay, directly across from moo 6 houses for rent. the jam is in the garden/on the beach. there is a stage with drums and PA system. everyone is welcome, musician or not. there is a bar and snack food. starts Sunday about 6pm 'til late.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed in the PFF - to kick it off with what was essentially a half hour religious propaganda broadcast did seem a spectaculaly bad move, I expect 'independent' cinema to be interesting and thought provoking not wingy Americans telling me how much they love Jesus. Shame about the rain, but I can't blame anyone for that, just bad luck.

What happened with the film festival?

I was there the first night (2nd to much rain). My impression:

- nice environment, just at the beach in a resort, nice atmosphaere, first night no rain and a lot of stars and a spectacular shooting star to (holliday resort on the street to Ban Tai)

- made it very nice, with small food stall.

- to long for those plastic chaires, I guess more fun when just mats on the ground or the half part of the site (thai-style) 4 movies enough.

- best for me, the Hula dancer from Hawaii and

- the Japanese/Canadian: Suzuki Speaks, but no subtitels and he speaks very fast. Anyway SUBTITELS needed on a place like Koh Phangan (e.g. my girlfriend is Japanese)

- worst: "Through the Eastern Gate", embarrasing

sorry for them, the 2nd night was falling in to the water I guess :o

I hope they keep on going next year to, everything starts small :D

ham

agree with the subtitles comment! i noticed there were few if any thais there which was a good thing because most of them wouldn't have understood much.

mats on the ground also would have been better.

also, would love to see films by thai directors next year! maybe some submissions from phangan people!