Need Help And Need It Urgent

Hi,

I need some help on the marriage formalities.

I will be coming to Thailand and getting married to my GF very shortly. I have heard that if I have to extend my visa there I will have to show 400000 Baht.

1. Does that mean I hv to open a bank account ?? or should I show them hard cash?

2.Till what period will I get the extension ?

3.Next time it expires can I produce the same 400000 Baht I produced earlier or should I show new transactions.

4.Suppose I open an Internet cum Fast Food cafe on my wife's name will I get a special permit to stay on?

Wud really appreciate if someone explains the above to me.

In order to qualify for the extended one-year permit as the spouse of a Thai national you will have to open a bank account in Thailand and deposit a minimum of 400,000 baht from abroad. Then ask your Thai bank for a letter confirming your balance and the fact that the funds originated abroad. You then apply to your local immigration office showing all the relevant paperwork and if your application is granted you will get a stamp in your passport for a year from the date you last entered Thailand. It can take 2-3 months for them to approve the application. When this stamp is due to expire you then repeat the process showing a further 400,000 baht transferred from abroad. Alternatively, if you can show a monthly income of 40,000 baht from abroad this will suffice in lieu of the 400,000 lump sum.

I don't know about the working with your wife bit.

Scouse.

a1. You must have a valid visa to extend your stay and you do it within the last 30 days of your stay. At that time you will have to have a bank account with required funds in it or some funds plus income or (first time only) you might get an extension on your ability to obtain employment if skilled and with degree. Remember that this extension is based on your support of wife so expect close examination.

2. If approved an extension is one year from your last entry into Thailand prior to application.

3. You will have to have employment here or elsewhere if under age 50 (proof of regular foreign income should normally be enough to prove employment).

4. You require a work permit to work in Thailand and that would not provide it unless set up as company and capital requirements. Even with such a permit you must meet income requirements or support requirements to stay here long term without visa runs.

The laws are set up for a husband to take his wife to his country and support her so if that is not the case there will be a number of conditions you must meet. If you are a younger guy you might want to reconsider where you plan to work/live.

... Alternatively, if you can show a monthly income of 40,000 baht from abroad this will suffice in lieu of the 400,000 lump sum.

I'm wondering about the "40,000 baht from abroad" part - I was unaware that the requirement was that the earned income was from abroad. Is it still 40K baht if from legal work within Thailand?

:o