Paypal Want A Utility Bill - Advise Wanted

I have recently setup a Paypal Account that links to my Kbank account. I done some transfers and now paypal is asking me to provide a utility bill to confirm my address, trouble is I dont have anything. My bank doesnt send statements to my address, my electricity is under my landlords business name and I use prepaid sim card for my phone.

Perhaps I could ask Kbank to send statements to my address, or maybe I could take out a contract with a mobile phone operator ? :- Suggestions needed for something paypal might accept ? I am on a tourist visa.

Edited by ahernsv

I find PayPal to be a total disaster.

I set up an account, linked by direct debit to my UK bank account.

They sent the minor amounts and I verified them.

Then PP asked for a credit card as well..........

I don't have a credit card, billed to a UK address.

All the bills come to my overseas address.

So like the OP I am in limbo. :o

• 1 month later...

I was in the same situation, was trying to get verified paypal account with UAE based credit card, n paypal asked me to send some utility bills for confirmation, I send them my bank account statement (in which I have my address) and my CC statement, and you know what? They put my paypal account on hold since ONE year now. NOT WORKIN at all. So I came across, when they asked for some utility bill, meant some water electricity or LAND line phone (not cell phone)

That’s my case.

I had the same problem, but as I had a utility bill I sent it to them. The problem was that the address on the utility bill is of course in Thai and PayPal required it in English as the did not have anyone to translate it :o

The solution was to go to my embassy and get a letter verifying my address, PayPal was happy with this and the account was verified.

I also use KBank and have my PayPal account linked to my KBank ecard, this has worked fine.

I have used PayPal now for probably 7 years or more. I have never had a problem with them. Actually I use PP to add $$$ to my Skype account. It has been quick and effective.

I opened my PayPal account from the USA, as I mentioned years ago. I did, at that time link one of my credit cards to them to open it up. However since that time I have closed that credit card account.

About 2 years ago while living in China PayPal had emailed me wanting some verification of my physical address, suggest as everyone on here has been stating (i.e. Utility bill, phone bill, etc.) I called them immediately explaining that I was no longer living in the USA and would this be a problem with continuing my account with them. They said it would be no problem and said that would indicate in their records that I was living overseas.

I have heard horror stories of PP freezing accounts and others that have had issues. But personally, as I have stated, I am completely satisfied (fingers crossed).......

Just another note... I have had individuals add money to my account as well as me buying items online using it, all with not a hiccup...

I accessed my account from Laos a while back and PayPal limited access to my account until I could verify my address. I sent them a copy of my True bill and my drivers license. They asked for a translation of the addresses, which my wife quickly did for me, and everything was up and running again the next day. So I cannot complain about PayPals service.

I opened an account with paypal when I joined e bay after two months I received notification that someone had tried to access my credit card via paypal, I closed the account and have never used them since.

My Paypal account has been suspended for a couple of weeks now, I have given them everything they asked for, confirmed address, bank account, credit card etc. and I still have no idea why it was suspended or when they are likely to reopen it. I have looked around and I can't find anyone offering the same service - online credit card processing with no monthly fee - so I guess I'm stuck waiting for paypal to unlock the account. Very frustrating.

I have a Paypal account and in the 8 years I've used it I've never had one ounce of trouble with them. I used PP in the UK prior to moving here. Upon moving I changed my address, to my Thai one, on my personal details without showing any proof of abode. No problem

• 3 months later...

Wherever you are in the world when you sign up for a paypal account, if you take payments through your paypal account they will sooner or later ask you for faxed copies of some documents.

In Thailand they ask for a copy of a photo ID (as proof of identity)and a copy of a Utility Bill, (as proof of address) they understand about Thai banks and they don't ask customers with a Thai address for a bank statement or credit card statement, though if you have one then that's sufficient as proof of address.

In Thailand most utility bills are in the name of the property owner, however with the property owners permission you can have a TT&T phone bill in your own name, also I believe that you can have a CAT telephone bill (for overseas calls) in your own name. Also, you can certainly have a Maxnet ADSL bill in your own name even if the telephone line is in a different name.

When paypal limit your account and ask for documents, then phoning them will do NOTHING, you need to send them EXACTLY what they ask for, and try to do it within 7 days or they will ask for more documents.

In fact you agree to this when you sign-up.

It's unfair to complain that Paypal need some sort of proof of ID and Address, the only reason that I think people complain is because it may be unexpected and you may not be prepared for it.

I work with clients who need to open Paypal accounts in Thailand, in every case the paypal account is restricted and documents requested after a few withdrawals, I can say that in EVERY case the account is released to full standing after the correct documents have been faxed, and usually within 24 hours, so an account limitation is perfectly normal and not cause for undue anxiety or concern.

Edited by technologybytes