Humanely Getting Rid Of Jing Joks

LivinLOS

Personally I am not someone who is bothered by sharing my home with the odd little lizard or two, I am always of a mind that they eat other bugs and do me a favor but I seem to have got a community of the little buggers now and theres often a scream as my girl gets stuck into the dishes etc and I have to get the scared little thing out of there (in other words now I have to be invlved I might actually think about solving it :o )...

However asking how to get rid of them has resulted in the "well you <deleted> them with a broom until flat" approach which I dont like too much. There must be a way of trapping or catching them (the sink works so what would temp them into a bucket ??) so I can drop them over my neighbors fence :D

Anyone have a smart approach to this ??

Personally I am not someone who is bothered by sharing my home with the odd little lizard or two, I am always of a mind that they eat other bugs and do me a favor but I seem to have got a community of the little buggers now and theres often a scream as my girl gets stuck into the dishes etc and I have to get the scared little thing out of there (in other words now I have to be invlved I might actually think about solving it :o )...

However asking how to get rid of them has resulted in the "well you <deleted> them with a broom until flat" approach which I dont like too much. There must be a way of trapping or catching them (the sink works so what would temp them into a bucket ??) so I can drop them over my neighbors fence :D

Get rid of their food source - flies, bugs, ants, etc. Then they'll have to eat elsewhere! :D

Have a remarkably ant and bug free kitchen... Fact is without the wife around I basically never cook or have any foodstuffs out of the fridge.. Eat in resturants or eat take out and bin the left overs. Not much I can do in that line.

Dont know what the little blighters live on but there must be at least 4 hiding around the kitchen and a couple in the living room etc..

Well, now... I think I may have a solution to your problem, but first I need to ask you a vital question regarding your post...

...theres often a scream...

Who, of your lady and your lizard, exactly, is doing the screaming?

Well I always have to get the scared little thing out of there :o

I was thinking something like foodstuffs in a big bottle / demi john type thing on a slope... something easy to get in and slippy enough to stop them getting out.. though seeing them cross the cieling upside down I dont know why they have such a problem with the edge of the sink..

I asked the same question about a week ago - I didn't really get a good solution. Like you, my house is very clean and free from insects and I don't leave food lying around, but they still come in.

I doubt you will be able to trap them in a bottle - I think they can walk up glass - they can certainly climb out of a plastic bucket with no problem,

I was thinking about those sticky traps, used to catch cockroaches and mice. You might be able to catch them in there (though you'll have to work out how to unstick them before you release them)

I have heard that you can buy a chalk-like powder which is supposed to repell them - though you have to basically encircle your entire house for it to work.

I think she scream more as she moves the dishes and it darts about... Shock etc..

Like I said one or two is Ok but 6 or so downstairs is a bit rich.. Starting to feel like blaggers now...

I know when I moved in one or more was the norm. I am always nervous I will crush them as I make a grab at them so catching them is hard.. Getting them out the sink is more laurel and hardy with me weakly making the grab, it running up my arm and escaping.. :o

When you splat them with your flip-flop, they make a heck of a mess.

And as you watch them twitching in your death-throes, you feel pretty bad about yourself.

Then you have to wipe the remains up, leaving a big stain on your white wall and you start to hate the little bugger.

Perhaps you could borrow a cat for a few days - they might get rid of them for a while?

In thai believe, if the lizard dropped on you, there was something good happening...

Only ever had two drop on me. Once in a market and another time when waiting for a bus at Victory Monument.

For me there was nothing good about it, for Thai onlookers it must've been amusing seeing a farang having what appears to be an epileptic fit. :D

OOOhhh! I just hate it when they do that. :o

They run towards where you point a laser-pointer. You could guide them out this way.

Actually I kind of like them. I also own a very real looking artificial one that I put in unexpected places for the missus or the cleaning lady to find. Very entertaining.

Cheers,

Chanchao

In thai believe, if the lizard dropped on you, there was something good happening...

Haven't you guys heard about that?

A :o nd Rainman, you totally forget ..........

My wife was jumped by a Tokay when she was a kid , the larger version of the chin chook.

She has had a fear of them since then.

Just me imitating the sound of a tokay " tokay,tokay" makes her jump :D

chin chooks are tolerated but not encouraged :D

My wife was jumped by a Tokay when she was a kid , the larger version of the chin chook.

This little b*gger likes to sit on top of the garden gate :o :

lizard4.jpg

lizard4.jpg

I'm not hitting that bugger with one of my flip-flops!

He's probably grab it off me and beat me to death!

If you look in between your door and casing (where the hinges are) this is the place in any home where you can find all the slow jing joks.

Also next time you are beating one off in the shower, just look around. I gaurantee you will see one or more jing joks silently regarding you. They almost look guilty when they realise their voyerisim has been detected.

Tukaes are bad luck according to Thai superstition (it used to be even more elaborate, so that the direction of the sound as well as the number of repetitions carried special significance, maybe somebody else has more info on this). Personally I like the small jingjoks, they are pretty cute and keep the bugs away, but my GF is extremely jumpy about them and would prefer me to get rid of them. So far I haven't though.

Love your doorman RDN.

What a great looking lizard you have spog.Have you any idea whether its native to Thailand or a released pet?

I had some builders around last week making insect screens for my house.One had a very young daughter who started screaming she had seen a "jawlakaay"(crocodile) in my garden.Seeing as I live about a million miles away from the serengetti I scoffed at her foolishness until I too saw the beast in question.Must have been five feet long and the dog was in fits.

I gather its called a "takuat"No idea of the english name.Not as pretty as yours though spog and doesnt have those huge piano players' fingers.

As for the jingjoks I favour a walther p45 style BB gun.Doesnt do much for the varnish though. :o

An extreme solution!

Wanna be healthy? Eat lizards every day

Suvan Meunlow from Thailand dislikes medicines designed to cure diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. He follows an old recipe: eat a lizard a day, and it will help you get rid of any disease. The man says, the panacea is always available and costs nothing.

The only thing necessary for lizard treatment is to be skillful to catch a reptile without touching its tail, and then immediately swallow it. The medicine guarantees a quick recovery. Suvan began his lizard treatment thirty years ago, at the age of eighteen. The boy had stomach problems, and the pain could not be relieved. Doctors were helpless in the situation: any anesthetic medicines they prescribed were of no effect for the boy. Then a neighbor recommended Suvan to eat a small lizard every day, it was specially stressed that reptiles should not be chewed. Suvan followed the advice and took to eating lizards since that very time.

As the man says now, he can hardly live a day without lizards. As soon as Suvan began eating lizards, stomach pain vanished and never troubled him since that time. Nowadays Suvan eats up to 15 lizards a day: the remedy has cured not only his stomach but it has raised his spirits as well. Eating lizards has improved Suvan-s potency, and it is getting stronger every year.

:o

A cat will do. Don't forget that the chin chooks also eat. Every little dropping represents a whole company of small naughty beings which normally unseen might have become part of your dinner.

Live and let live!

Tukaes are bad luck according to Thai superstition (it used to be even more elaborate, so that the direction of the sound as well as the number of repetitions carried special significance, maybe somebody else has more info on this). Personally I like the small jingjoks, they are pretty cute and keep the bugs away, but my GF is extremely jumpy about them and would prefer me to get rid of them. So far I haven't though.

Love your doorman RDN.

I've always been told that tokays (tukaes) are good luck for the house if they do it three or four times in a row. Sorta gives the house good luck so to speak.

I used to have a really big one living behind my fridge and it would scare the heck out of the missus whenever she saw it sticking its georgous head out! :o

lizard4.jpg

That is Tokay and they bite.

If you can catch them they are good to eat.

Leave the smaller Gink Jos alone, they are friends.

you will seen get used to them.

I should just clarify that RDN lays claim to that big bugger, not me.

Live and let live is fine for me, but my other half is terrified by them, so they have to leave.

I was thinking about adapting one of these electric mosquito zappers. A few thousand volts should be enough to stun them temporarily.