Mae Sot - Myawadi

Savage

I was thinking maybe the end of the month my wife and I would take a trip up to Mae Sai and perhaps over into Burma for the day (not for a visa run).

I've really not heard anything regarding Myawadi, what's it like. Is it a nice trip?

Thanks,

Sav

I was thinking maybe the end of the month my wife and I would take a trip up to Mae Sai and perhaps over into Burma for the day (not for a visa run).

I've really not heard anything regarding Myawadi, what's it like. Is it a nice trip?

Thanks,

Sav

If you're going from Bangkok the trip only gets interesting from around the Tak area. Nice scenery from there onwards.

Myawaddy was ok for an hours visit, not sure if I'd want to spend more than that though. Depends on what you like doing I suppose. You can walk along the main street and then down a soi to a small chedi type temple. errmm...not really sure if there's anything else there.

Haven't yet walked along the main street to see how far I can get before being told that I can't go any further. Might try that next time.

Thais can get a 30 day border pass so don't forget a couple of photos if she hasn't got a passport.

Thanks,

Sav

Do you mean Mae Sai or Mai Sot.

You mention both.

Thanks,

Sav

Do you mean Mae Sai or Mai Sot.

You mention both.

I assumed he was talking about Mae Sot due to wanting to know what Myawaddy was like. I quite often get confused with these two places. Like for some people it's Udon and Ubon or Nakhon Pathom and Nakhon Phanom. :o

So is there a market in Myawaddi?

I only venture along the main road where there's plenty of shops selling various things. I only go as far as the temple, walk around it without entering, then back to the bridge to get stamped out. So I haven't seen any markets as such.

There's the Rim Moie market beneath the Thai side of the bridge that should have Burmese souveniers, cigars, nick-nacks etc.

Myawaddy is worth visiting for a few hours from Mae Sot. I did this trip with some Thai friends who have relatives on the other side in May. I was lucky to be able to see the shanty towns outside Myawaddy as they had a ricketty old van for transport. The people outside Myawaddy are desparately poor and many live in shacks that are no more than constructions of sticks and bamboo. There are a few better buildings but not many. The temples though are wonderful and ornate and some have spectacular views of the beautiful surrounding scenery. You can see some of my pics here that will give you an idea.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v104/pyramus/Burma%202004/

The border entry was simple, though if you do go through I would take a Thai guide if you can. As a farang I attracted a lot of attention from chancers offering me trips etc. although everyone was friendly. The Burmese I met were delighted with the small amount of Thai baht I gave them which is usable on the other side. Best not to take too much though. Their currency they handed over by the fistload for a short cyclo ride. :o

There are some photos of the Mae Sot area here as well.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v104/pyramus/