Mobile Phones

Hanuman

I will be coming to Bangkok later this month from the USA. I'm not sure if my mobile phone will work in Thailand even if I get a SIM card in Bangkok. It is a Samsung phone and my provider is Sprint.

My next question is about renting mobile phones in Bngkok. Does anyone know if this service is available in Bangkok and if so, how much does it cost?

Thanks

In my opinion, its cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM tri-band phone on EBay than to rent. Try searching on Motorola P7389 for example. Not a fancy phone, but pretty low cost. Then when you get to Bangkok, you can find the pre-paid SIM cards all over the place. Jay Marts in the BTS stations have them for example.

Make sure the specifications say it includes the 900-Mhz band (for 1-2-Call) and the 1800-Mhz band (some other carriers use this, DTAC I think).

Tri-band will typically cover 900/1800/1900 as 1900-Mhz is USA GSM. Quad band includes GSM on the 850-Mhz band also used in the USA.

More information on GSM phones can be found by searching in the Internet and Computers folder here.

kenk3z

Another option would be to purchase an inexpensive phone here in Bangkok after you arrive. There are dozens of shops in Mah Boon Krong that have new and used phones for sale at quite reasonable prices. Might be quicker, cheaper and easier than Ebay. If your service provider has roaming agreements with the Thai service providers (and you have signed up for international roaming) you could use your existing sim card here, though purchasing a pre-paid sim in Bangkok may be cheaper, especially for local calls.

It depends on your phone.

There is a small CDMA network here, but most are GSM.

You can pick up a secondhand phone for $25,

then buy a local SIM card. Calls are 5baht a minute (12.5c)