Employing Burmese Workers - Legally

I want to investigate whether I can legally employ Burmese nationals as staff at my Phuket hotel. This hotel was constructed primarily by Burmese workers who were legally employed by the Thai building company. I was far more satisfied with the work undertaken by the Burmese workers than their Thai counterparts.

Now I am in the throes of reviewing the performance of my Thai staff, and I find many (not all), lacking in work ethic, quality of work etc. Despite encouragement and support, they seem unwilling to give the level of care to their job that I want.

Of course, money does enter into the equation. To obtain fully trained, professional, 5-star hotel staff is above my budget, and I'm that such staff would not be happy working for a small business such as mine.

So howabout employing some Burmese staff as waiters and room cleaners? Can I legally do this? Where can I find such workers? etc etc etc. Will I get murdered in my bed by them? (That last question was a joke, just in case someone reading this has no sense of humour...)

The ability to speak Thai is not required!

Thanks for any advice

Simon

I know in Mae Sot the burmese that are working there legally have to pay for a work permit every year,but this only entitles them to work & stay in MS,& does not allow them to travel outside the town unless they are with the employer.

I know quite few burmese waitresses,cooks in los who i regard as the most trustworthy people i have ever met,as far as employing them goes.Alot of thai employers value them so much that they dont like them leaving the house. :o

I think alot of burmese would really appreciate (possibly more than thais),the chance to work outside of Mae Sot or Mae sai.

Alot of the people on Khao San rd are burmese so i guess it cant be that hard,but for a farang employer??

Thai wife??

Edited by uptou

Stricyly speaking, they would be employed by my Thai wife, in her sole-trader business. But do all the rules that apply for employing 'farang' in ST businesses also apply to Burmese workers? (I think Burmese, Laos and Cambodean workers have some different employment regulations...)

Simon

Stricyly speaking, they would be employed by my Thai wife, in her sole-trader business. But do all the rules that apply for employing 'farang' in ST businesses also apply to Burmese workers? (I think Burmese, Laos and Cambodean workers have some different employment regulations...)

Simon

Yes I think that's right. It's pre-selected occupations for non-skilled labour - pretty sure hotel work isn't on the list. Same reason that you and I can't get a job as a journalist for the Bangkok Post or a Bartender at Q-Bar or one of the many five-star hotels (exceptions for HQ staff on 'training' or Interning etc).

You should contact the local Dept of Labour office to confirm that. Then, just to rub it in, explain why you want the Burmese workers..he, he.

TG2

The best bit will be telling my Thai wife that I'm replacing her lazy family members with Burmese staff :o

Simon

Good luck - let her know your Last Will is safely with someone else and has a clause in it stating that all money goes to charity and can only be revised once you reach 70! Always be seen as worth more alive than dead to the Thai spouse and her family!

A work permit for a Myanmar national is a plastic card that gives him/her the right to work in the province where the work permit is issued, for the duration of 1 year. Every year a (brief) time window is opened to apply for work permits for Myanmar nationals. Contact the labour office (leng ngaan) in Phuket for more detailed information.

Note: it could be that the information supplied above is already outdated. Contact the labour office, and please let us know the outcome.

The best bit will be telling my Thai wife that I'm replacing her lazy family members with Burmese staff :o

Simon

ah, love it, me thinks you have been in thailand too long, conflict avoidance, taking the middle path etc etc.

notice you are smart enough not to tell the freeloaders yourself, farang black heart and what not.

almost tempted to fly down to phuket and check in for a few days if you can provide a ringside seat.

• 2 months later...

Anyone can point to me where can I find places that hire Burmese nationals?

My wife is a burmese, she stays in Bangkok now, and she is looking to get a job to spend her time, but most places only hires local.

She's proficient in English and Thai.

Any help?