Apec Business Travel Card

As I read the details of the Apec card, it seems to get more confusing.. :o

My questions simply is: If you were to obtain the Apec card (for tourism purposes) why would you need to applied for the multiply entries visa with apec card?

- I thought with an Apec card you are entitle to "automatic multiply entries with a maximum allowable stay of 90days".

The Apec Web sites states:

"The ABTC is available to bona fide business persons who are nationals of participating economies. It allows multiple entries and a stay of up to 90 days on each visit. The ABTC is valid for 3 years, and card holders enjoy express immigration clearance through special APEC lanes on arrival and departure with no requirement to apply for visas or entry permits."

So why can't you simply make boarder runs before your 90 days expire?

Thanks.

The holder of an APEC card does not need to apply for multiple-entry visas. The card itself allows an unlimited number of entries into participating APEC countries and with each arrival in Thailand he will get permission to stay for 90 days.

I understand that the APEC card was originally designed to make life easier for businessmen in APEC countries who frequently have to travel to other APEC countries and thus hopefully boost trade within the APEC area. I don’t think the card was meant for long-term stay in Thailand with border runs every 90 days, although it can apparently be used for this purpose.

--

Maestro

• Like 1

The APEC card is for business purposes. It is not meant for tourism purposes. Like Maestro says, you get 90 days on each entry using the card. I imagine it is only a matter of time until they crack down on the people that use it for back to back 90 day entries, because that is not what it is designed for. It is designed for people that need to travel around to all the countries in the APEC organization for business trips. A business trip is not living in Thailand for 90 days, then making a border run, and then doing it again every 90 days for 3 years.

If you want to go to the US, they are only a provisional member of the scheme. The card will only get you priority processing for a visa and the ability to use the diplomatic lanes at immigration.

Edited by jstumbo

To get the Apec card you'll also somehow have to convince them you actually are doing or going to do business in APEC countries.

A Thai company limited with you as a shareholder/director will be a great help for example.

The US is a "transitional member"... Will they issue a card to a US citizen?

no.

existing card holders can use the fast track lanes at US airports though.

For people who cant get the APEC card, Thailand has an "analagous" visa option that basically matches the immigration benefits of the APEC card for Thailand.

It is the 3 Year Non Immigrant Multi Entry Visa.You can not attach a work permit to this visa.

Edited by kiakaha