Grape Vien Starts

I want to grow some of my own grapes and watermelon. I know that I can grow watermelon from a seed, but I understand that if your going to grow grapes you should pick a grape that you like and try to get the starts from the vine itself. After checking I understand that thailand has a seedless grape that is very tasty and grows very well here.

It might help if you mention the area your in! If in Korat, I'd say look around Pac Chong, they grow in other areas to. Also, try looking in THAI-AG magazines, find the picture, ask your talking dictionary what it says.

rice555

• 11 months later...
Do grapes grow high up on overhead trallice gazebo like structures. I seem to remember the Italian neighbours having a huge grape vine growing like this, but all the vineyards only grow them to chest height.

Chatuchak market in BKK has grafted seedless vines, white & red.

In order for grape vines to produce fruit; they need to be aggressively pruned about twice a year.

That’s why you’ll never see a big vine in a commercial operation.

They will grow nicely overhead, in Thailand grapes are evergreen.

Not much fruit to be had if any !

Best

A couple km's before the Pak Chong turn off (heading North towards Korat) there is a vineyard on the left hand side of the main road (you can't miss it - if I recall correctly on the oppisite of the main road more or less is the agricultural training college - and that is just past the Klang Dong airstrip turn off - and I know that because I used to park my plane there every week picking junior up from borading school to come home each weekend)

I got some vines from them in 2003 - and they've taken quite well. have never bothered with any vino, but the grapes we got last year were dam_n decent indeed - aout 100kgs in all.

I think one of the rules has to be: check to see the soil they are growing in is the same kind of soil you have at home.

Hello MrWiggle, arbor's covered by grape vines were common in San Jose CA. when I was younger, so were honey suckle vines. I think grapes gave better coverage, fruit and less of a mess and no snails.

Depending on the type of grape(table/wine) also comes into play with the way the plants are grown, and harvesting style in commercial operations, but for a nice patio arbor, grapes are nice.

Most of the table grapes in Pac Chong are grown up and across, the fruit hang down under the plant canopy unlike wine grapes that you seen pictures of long rows of trained rows.

rice555

Edited by rice555