Best Low Cost Fire Extinguishers, What And Where?

junkofdavid2

What brand of inexpensive fire extinguisher would you recommend for single apartment use? (therefore, just a small one but capable of fighting even gas and electrical fires)

Where would it be available at a low price in Bangkok?

I don't mean low quality... it's just that I've seen "big name" stores in Thailand mark-up prices like crazy when products can be bought at less than half the price in another part of town, or even direct from the supplier which isn't hard to find in many cases.

:o

Electrical fires are not the danger here in the normal brick/cement construction that they are in wood buildings of other countries. I have bought them in Carrefour in the past at reasonable price but those type stores have today and not tomorrow sometimes.

Look around your local area and see if there is shop that specializes.

Extinguishers need periodic checking and refill in the event of a fire.

Dept stores do not offer those service.

What brand of inexpensive fire extinguisher would you recommend for single apartment use? (therefore, just a small one but capable of fighting even gas and electrical fires)

I don't mean low quality... it's just that I've seen "big name" stores in Thailand mark-up prices like crazy when products can be bought at less than half the price in another part of town, or even direct from the supplier which isn't hard to find in many cases.

:o

You should consider CO2 extinguishers of choice and a fire retarant blanket in your kitchen in case of an oil/cooking fire. As you live in an apartment building Ensure you have a clear escape plan and route as it can easily be someone in another apartment that starts a fire.

Confirm with building management that the fire alarm system is operational and regularly tested/certified.

:D

You should consider CO2 extinguishers of choice and a fire retarant blanket in your kitchen in case of an oil/cooking fire. As you live in an apartment building Ensure you have a clear escape plan and route as it can easily be someone in another apartment that starts a fire.

Confirm with building management that the fire alarm system is operational and regularly tested/certified.

1) Why CO2? Is it better than others?

2) What is a 'retartant' blanket?

Thanks! :o

1) Why CO2? Is it better than others?

2) What is a 'retartant' blanket?

Actually you should get a type ABC (sometimes called 'dry-powder') extinguisher. These are the types mainly sold by places like Homepro, get one at least 2kg.

CO2 is very good for fires involving electricity but almost useless on wood and upholstery etc. because they provide little cooling effect and when the gas disperses the fire can re-ignite.

A 'fire blanket' is used to smother fires in places like kitchens (eg chip pans) I've not seen them on sale here, wet tea-towels are also effective.

Edited by Crossy

Smallest one I found in Homepro was about 700 baht. (Imperial brand)

I wonder if there are any smaller ones... :o

Did you notice the weight?

An extinguisher can never be too big, far better that it has some contents left when the fire is out than you have some fire left when the extinguisher runs out :D

IIRC The smallest ones in Homepro would be about as small as I would want in a house, I think they're really intended for vehicle use.

For complete peace of mind purchase a 2-3kg AFFF extingusher, this propels a foam mix when activated, however DO NOT in any circumstances direct the nozzle directly on to a oil fire (chip pan etc)

I have seen these AFFF extinguishers in Thailand but sorry cannot help with purchase locations