Tv-out - Image "too Wide", How To Solve? Pclos 2008 Gnome

Thanh-BKK

Hi.

After i had quite some success now getting my new PC Linux OS 2008 Gnome to work on my main machine, i have a few issues related to "graphics" or, more specific, to "TV-Out".

The connected monitor (19" Acer LCD) works perfectly in it's native 1280x1024, all desktop effects are enabled and work perfectly, too.

However on the connected TV (21" Sony CRT, non-widescreen) the image always seems to be "too large" as it wants to expand beyond the bottom and right side of the screen. I have tried all available resolutions and it always stays the same (but the icons etc get bigger so that actually DOES work). The TV's resolution is 1024x768, at least under Windows, where this works flawlessly. Please see attached screen pictures, taken with a camera phone.

Second issue is - how do i get the TV to be a second desktop? As Linux offers me 4 of those, i'd love to have one on the monitor and an independent one on the TV so i can watch video on the TV and surf the web on the monitor. Currently, all i get is "twin view" where the two are clones. There is an option called "seperate X" but this fails ("failed to create backup" is the error i get when i go "merge with xorg.conf"), will i need to do this as root? It doesn't ask for root password.

Specs, if required:

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 7200 GS, 256 MB, PCI-Express. TV connected via s-video/composite adaptor cable (TV has no other inputs)

Driver: Nvidia proprietary, from Nvidia's website

Best regards......

Thanh

post-13387-1208847510_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1208847520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thanh-BKK

I personally not use PC-Linux, but I had the same problem with Fedora Linux. I got the problem solved by using an NVIDIA driver from a 3th party packer. (http://rpm.livna.org Fedora repository).

The NVDIA drivers from Livna also installed a configuration program with which I could set separate settings for several monitors (or TV’s).

I’m not sure if this post helps you, as Fedora uses rpm packages and settings are not really similar.