Thailand Plans To Ban Alcohol Sales During Buddhist Religious Holidays

sriracha john

Plans to ban alcohol sales during Buddhist religious holidays

BANGKOK, April 19 (TNA) - Thailand's Ministry of Health is preparing legislation to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages during Buddhist religious holidays, a senior ministry official said Saturday.

Dr. Samarn Futrakul, who heads the ministry's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said there is already a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol during elections, but not on Buddhist religious holidays.

Currently, restaurants, bars and entertainment venues are asked to "cooperate" with state officials by not selling intoxicating beverages on Buddhist religious holidays, he said.

Dr. Samarn said that in hos opinion it is necessary to issue such a regulation.

His remarks were made after Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung proposed that sales of alcohol should be prohibited during Songkran, Thailand's traditional New Year, and during New Year's celebrations according to the western calendar.

During the "seven dangerous days" of this year's Songkran, which ended Thursday, 368 persons were killed in motor accidents throughout Thailand and nearly 5,000 were injured. Driving while under the influence of alcohol was identified as the major cause of accidents.

Meanwhile, about 80 persons, members of a "Don't Drive when Drunk" group, as well as accident victims, met Mr. Chalerm Friday to offer support for his idea.

The group said it would launch publicity on the need to forbid the sale of alcohol during festivals and to also hold a public referendum to implement the idea.

Mr. Chalerm said he had asked the permanent secretary for the interior to present the proposal to Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsup's committee, saying that he would further sales of beer, wine, and hard liquor as much as two days before and two days after the Songkran festival.

Alternatively, he said, the number of hours selling alcohol during the festival could also be shortened.

would've thought it better to enforce the existing laws covering drunk driving. Who's going to lose face when the accident rate does not decline significantly ? This will be about as effective as closing service stations at night time was for saving oil. Wonder if they'll still leave the 10 bottles (or is it 12) or more loophole....we don't want you to be drunk so you can't buy a bottle....but you can buy 10 or more, that's ok.

Public Health Ministry to request government to ban alcohol sale on religious days

The Executive of the Bureau of Non Communicable Disease, Saman Futrakul, says a committee drafting an organic law of the Alcohol Control Act will request the government to impose a ban on the sales of alcoholic beverages on religious days, which are official holidays of the country.

Saman says the ban on the sales of alcoholic drinks during the New Year and Songkran festivals initiated by Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung can be proposed to the government at the same time with the organic law drafted by the bureau.

At present, alcohol sale is prohibited only during an election period.

- ThaiNews (today)

Banning Booze sales at holiday times , is not the answer ,people just buy it all up a few day's before hand .

They should do more road checks and enforce the law , (not collect tea money)

i was amazed when the booze ban was on for voting i went down Kao San road and found 5 bars that i could get a beer with no problem one of the bars was right on the street front openly selling Alcohol ,( again most probely a case of tea money being paid)

it seems that nearly every month the goverment try to drive another nail in the coffin of bar owners

colino

As a representative sampling from the pinned topic on public holidays for 2008, the following dates (plus any additional days depending on what day of the week the the actual Buddhist holiday falls on) are:

February 21st Makha Bucha Day

April 14th Songkran Festival

April 15th Songkran Festival

April 16th Songkran Festival

May 19th Visakha Bucha Day

July 17th Asanha Bucha Day

July 18th Khao Phansa Day

October 14th Awk Phansa Day

Edited by sriracha john

DAILY NEWS EDITORIAL:

Despite a strenuous campaign against drunk driving, more people were killed on the roads during this year's Songkran holiday than last year. To address the problem, a number of senior officials have suggested a ban on alcohol sales during the long holiday. Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung suggested that if such a ban is introduced it should only cover two days, the first and the last, of the Songkran holiday, since most of the driving is done on these two days. Dr Thaejing Siripanit, Secretary-General of the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation, said the ban should cover the entire week. And it would be even better if alcohol sales were banned during all national festivities, including the New Year. In his opinion, drunk drivers should face severe jail terms to deter people from committing the same offence. Justice Permanent Secretary Jarun Pukditanakul said the ban should be enforced on April 13 and 14, as the casualty toll seemed to peak on these two days. In his opinion, the public would accept this restriction if they realised how many lives are lost through drunk driving each year. We hope the government's Road Safety Centre will take up this issue for consideration and enforce the ban during the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/21Apr2008_news26.php

As sibeymai points out in Post #4, the government thinking is that if they don't sell alcohol on those days then it will be impossible for anyone to get drunk...same as his example of closing gas stations at 10pm proved highly successful in saving fuel.

*edit: with apologies, the facetiousness on this post was laid on so thick that it dripped all over the monitor...

Edited by sriracha john

Considering tourism is a player in the economy over here, I think banning the sale of alcohol during the western New Year Celebrations is an excellent idea. Suggest they also consider the USA, UK, and other European Nations religious holidays as well, the US Elections and lets not forget St. Patricks day. I am sure tourists will be fine with it just so that they are aware when they can and cannot buy a nice cocktail. All TAT would need to do is put up posters anoucing that 'You can buy alcohol between 4am and 9am on Tuesday 23rd February of next year. Have a nice stay and do tell your friends about us!'

In tourism terms it seems the Government is hel_l bent on commiting suicide.

His remarks were made after Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung proposed that sales of alcohol should be prohibited during Songkran, Thailand's traditional New Year, and during New Year's celebrations according to the western calendar.

I wonder if this control freak Chalerm has bothered to sit down and count the cost of lost votes and tourist revenue from a blanket ban of alcohol during major holidays. :o

I wonder if this control freak Chalerm has bothered to sit down and count the cost of lost votes and tourist revenue from a blanket ban of alcohol during major holidays. :o

He doesn't care so long as the ban does not apply to the Twenty Club on Rachadapisek Road...

http://www.geocities.com/suan_nok/khaothai...alerm-0304.html

Murder Trial of Thailand's Corrupt Chalerm Yoobamrung Son Continues

Did i read correctly

proposed that sales of alcohol should be prohibited during Songkran, Thailand's traditional New Year, and during New Year's celebrations according to the western calendar.

So they want to ban alcohol during new year as well!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

This new must surely be worrying to the BiBs ?

If they themselves can't spend Songkran drinking, and hiding-out from the festive celebrants with their loaded water-guns, then they might actually have to work or control the public-drinking. :D

Seriously, I didn't see any police up here in Chiang Mai, for about a week over Songran. :o

To simplify things for all concerned I think they should designate a number of days each year when alchohol can legally be purchased and consumed. These days should then be enshrined in the constitution.

Tourists could then plan their holidays around those dates.

I have a much easier solution.

As Buddhism prohibits the consumption of alcohol much the same as Islam why not turn Thailand into a dry state similar to Saudi Arabia?

Advantages :-

1. No more drink driving deaths and injuries any time.

2. No drunken louts on the streets of Pattaya.

3. No drink related domestic violence.

4. The poor will be unable to waste their meagre resources on Lao Khaw.

5. No more pesky whinging tourists bleating on about being ripped off, in fact almost no more tourists.

6. Less chance of bluddy foriegners on holiday getting shot by drunk policemen and bringing disrepute to the land.

7. Less air traffic into and out of Suvarnabhumi solving the noise problem and doing away with the expensive expansion plans.

8. Less foriegners therefore no more bed bugs on the trains.

9. Thailand can return to it's cultural roots of a peace loving agricultural nation without all these troublemaking foriegners.

10. Thailand becomes a mecca (pun intended) for middle east tourists knowing they won't be tempted into the sins of alcohol consumption.

Disadvantages :-

1. 95% reduction in tourist dollars.

2. Greatly reduced tax revenues to line politicians pockets.

3. Greatly reduced tea monies from the night time entertainment venues for the BiB.

4. Greatly reduced employement for Thai people in the tourism and entertainment businesses.

I think a stunning idea like that easily qualifies me as a Thai MP if not for the post of PM (please note khun Samak, should you wish to tale me on as personal adviser please PM me to discuss terms and conditions).

starting up a home brewing business, any takers, on the menu:

1. Home brews made with Australian Schooler Barley, the best in the world.

2. Brew kits based on "VB" beer.

3. Local Saraphee "Sar-Tor" available in white or with pinky tinge. (the pink is double price)

4. Ciders will be added later and only for Pommy wimps.

5. Any body who drinks Budweiser should not be reading this post.

Pre-Alcoholics Company Limited

PS: Phil you've got my vote, well, at least the three in my house i control 555555555

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I have a much easier solution.

As Buddhism prohibits the consumption of alcohol much the same as Islam why not turn Thailand into a dry state similar to Saudi Arabia?

5. No more pesky whinging tourists bleating on about being ripped off, in fact almost no more tourists.

6. Less chance of bluddy foriegners on holiday getting shot by drunk policemen and bringing disrepute to the land.

7. Less air traffic into and out of Suvarnabhumi solving the noise problem and doing away with the expensive expansion plans.

9. Thailand can return to it's cultural roots of a peace loving agricultural nation without all these troublemaking foriegners.

10. Thailand becomes a mecca (pun intended) for middle east tourists knowing they won't be tempted into the sins of alcohol consumption.

3. Greatly reduced tea monies from the night time entertainment venues for the BiB.

4. Greatly reduced employement for Thai people in the tourism and entertainment businesses.

I think a stunning idea like that easily qualifies me as a Thai MP if not for the post of PM (please note khun Samak, should you wish to tale me on as personal adviser please PM me to discuss terms and conditions).

Good job Phil. The tourists only put a strain on the weak or almost non-existent infrastructure here. Less traffic and demand for services. When a ban on alcohol is enacted for these Buddhist holidays it will be fun to watch the domino effect of the program. The 250,000 to 500,000 entertainment workers that simply won't get paid. The evidential layoffs in tourist related businesses while at the same time wondering where the tourists went. Early closing hours imposed by out newly elected government is already taking its toll in the capitol. I will hang on just a bit longer to see the cumulative results of some of these very stupid laws enacted by former, present or future politician criminals.

Using Thai logic I think it would be better to ban all motorbikes during Buddist holidays to further reduce death and injuries.

I love this country.

Thailand plans to ban alcohol sales during Buddhist religious holidays

Pattaya Daily News, April 19, 2008

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Thailand‘s Ministry of Health is preparing legislation to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages during Buddhist religious holidays, a senior ministry official said Saturday.

Dr. Samarn Futrakul, who heads the ministry's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said there is already a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol during elections, but not on Buddhist religious holidays.

Currently, restaurants, bars and entertainment venues are asked to "cooperate" with state officials by not selling intoxicating beverages on Buddhist religious holidays, he said.

Dr. Samarn said that in hos opinion it is necessary to issue such a regulation. His remarks were made after Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung proposed that sales of alcohol should be prohibited during Songkran, Thailand's traditional New Year, and during New Year's celebrations according to the western calendar.

During the "seven dangerous days" of this year's Songkran, which ended Thursday, 368 persons were killed in motor accidents throughout Thailand and nearly 5,000 were injured. Driving while under the influence of alcohol was identified as the major cause of accidents.

Meanwhile, about 80 persons, members of a "Don't Drive when Drunk" group, as well as accident victims, met Mr. Chalerm Friday to offer support for his idea.

The group said it would launch publicity on the need to forbid the sale of alcohol during festivals and to also hold a public referendum to implement the idea.

Mr. Chalerm said he had asked the permanent secretary for the interior to present the proposal to Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsup's committee, saying that he would further sales of beer, wine, and hard liquor as much as two days before and two days after the Songkran festival.

Alternatively, he said, the number of hours selling alcohol during the festival could also be shortened.

I can see the image now of the CEOS of Singha and Henineken reaching for the safe keys and the unmarked suitcase right now.

starting up a home brewing business, any takers, on the menu:

1. Home brews made with Australian Schooler Barley, the best in the world.

2. Brew kits based on "VB" beer.

3. Local Saraphee "Sar-Tor" available in white or with pinky tinge. (the pink is double price)

4. Ciders will be added later and only for Pommy wimps.

5. Any body who drinks Budweiser should not be reading this post.

Pre-Alcoholics Company Limited

PS: Phil you've got my vote, well, at least the three in my house i control 555555555

My mother in law already has a neat sideline in 'sar-tor' going - no chance of an booze ban in that village! :o

I think "disadvantages" 2-4 should be moved to advantage column.

That leaves us with tourist problem. They can find a way to solve it without much effort.

The biggest problem is dealing with people who still want to drink and will try to find other ways to satisfy their addiction, not tourists per se.