Lavender In Thailand

Hi -

Has anyone been successful growing Lavender from seeds in Thailand?

I’ll get them to about two to three cm and then they die.

The planting mix is well drained, a mixture of sterile potting soil and coarse sand.

Any suggestion

(I am even thinking of an aircon environment with artificial lighting)

Thanks in advance.

hi. when i was in bkk, i was able to buy some lavender seeds (AFM, chatuchak).

i still havent sown them. philippines (from where i am) and thailand have similar climate. i will see if i can grow them and share my experience.

it does grow easy in temperate countries in their summer. maybe the tropics (all year hot months) is different?

Edited by aries27

I've tried growing lavender, but its never worked. I think where I am it is just too humid, they like a dry mediterranean type climate, and where I am at the humidity is very high year round.

Not sure where it might grow in Thailand, up north perhaps? Is there any place with a lower humidity in Thailand?

I was able to germinate Lavender Multifida Blue Wonder within two days, but the Typhoon-like thunderstorm the other night drowned all the 1-inch plus seedlings.

Other varieties seem more difficult, some have done nothing – so far for the past month.

I have been told that 6-inch plants of lavender are available at a weekend market in Pattaya – any further info pls.

I’ve seen patches of Lavender in Singapore – therefore, one should be able to grown them on Thailand also - I would have thought.

I am not ready to give it up yet.

I’ve seen patches of Lavender in Singapore – therefore, one should be able to grown them on Thailand also - I would have thought.

I am not ready to give it up yet.

No, don't give up.... a "greenhouse" or any Foil-Tunnel might be considered, to keep the excess moisture and strong rainfalls away!

Seed from local plants, make a big difference!

good luck!

I was able to germinate Lavender Multifida Blue Wonder within two days

i got mustead blue. k, will try my luck over here. thanks for the tip, samuian.

maybe summer is not good as it is very humid? but then, when is it not humid here?

I have been told by an Australian friend that the French varieties cope best with the humidity; ie. L.Monet, L .Lavandula multifida, and L. Stoechas (sometimes also known as Spanish Lavender).

http://www.afmgroup.com/afm/catalog/index.htm

… have three varieties in their catalogue – with simplified names, but since it is a Thai company, they ought to sell what will grow here and I will look them up at Chatujak soon.

I have been told by an Australian friend that the French varieties cope best with the humidity; ie. L.Monet, L .Lavandula multifida, and L. Stoechas (sometimes also known as Spanish Lavender).

… have three varieties in their catalogue – with simplified names, but since it is a Thai company, they ought to sell what will grow here and I will look them up at Chatujak soon.

Good to discover the AFM website [thanks for that]. From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be any way of ordering direct from them? Is that correct? I see quite a few of their packeted seeds around various shops here in Chiang Mai - but it's nearly always the same vegetables and flowers........... certainly never the lavender or other more exotic plant seeds. Any ideas for ordering "unusual" seeds from AFM or other suppliers?

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions. :o

Good to discover the AFM website [thanks for that]. From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be any way of ordering direct from them? Is that correct? I see quite a few of their packeted seeds around various shops here in Chiang Mai - but it's nearly always the same vegetables and flowers........... certainly never the lavender or other more exotic plant seeds. Any ideas for ordering "unusual" seeds from AFM or other suppliers?

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions. :o

Try contacting them by e-mail: [email protected]

i forgot to add, maybe if you will email AFM in english, you should try the international addy (see their website) so its sure to reach an english speaking staff.

also, it is advisable even if you're in bkk to send the order to its changmai main office first which will forward it to the jatujak shop for pick-up. just to make sure all the seeds you want are there...

i just started germinating the seeds. the hollyhock seedlings are doing fine now. :D

hey, let's compare notes, like what grows well in thailand and then here in PH... from where i am, the climate/temp is the same as bkk.

havent tried the lavender seeds actually.

btw, the seeds dont really all originate from thailand (but they have home grown specials - marigolds, vinca, impatiens, etc) but australia, england, USA :o

Edited by aries27

i forgot to add, maybe if you will email AFM in english, you should try the international addy (see their website) so its sure to reach an english speaking staff.

also, it is advisable even if you're in bkk to send the order to its changmai main office first which will forward it to the jatujak shop for pick-up. just to make sure all the seeds you want are there...

i just started germinating the seeds. the hollyhock seedlings are doing fine now. :D

hey, let's compare notes, like what grows well in thailand and then here in PH... from where i am, the climate/temp is the same as bkk.

havent tried the lavender seeds actually.

btw, the seeds dont really all originate from thailand (but they have home grown specials - marigolds, vinca, impatiens, etc) but australia, england, USA :o

Thanks for the further info. I sent an e-mail to their sales department a couple of days ago - but no reply. Following your advice, I have now sent a further e-mail to the international sales address.

If their main office is in Chiang Mai [where I live], then maybe I can go to them direct. Let's see if I get an answer to my second e-mail.

afm chang mai address is (where they have the main office and nursery):

399 changmai- maejo rd.

nonghan, sansai

chiangmai 50290

tel: 66 53 353810-5

they are also known as FlorAsia Ltd.

my contact is a charming girl who goes by the name of aom.

they also give out free hardcopy catalogues. useful when you dont like to be checking their website now and then.

but as i have said some seeds originated (as the packets say) from england, US, australia, germany, japan etc. dont know if they import it straight or they were able to cultivate their own seeds....

anyway, they are pretty cheap i think...

good luck, gardeners... :o

Edited by aries27

afm chang mai address is (where they have the main office and nursery):

399 changmai- maejo rd.

nonghan, sansai

chiangmai 50290

tel: 66 53 353810-5

they are also known as FlorAsia Ltd.

my contact is a charming girl who goes by the name of aom.

they also give out free hardcopy catalogues. useful when you dont like to be checking their website now and then.

but as i have said some seeds originated (as the packets say) from england, US, australia, germany, japan etc. dont know if they import it straight or they were able to cultivate their own seeds....

anyway, they are pretty cheap i think...

good luck, gardeners... :D

Many thanks, Aries27! Still no reply to either of my e-mails (TIT).......... but now I can go there in person. And a nursery, too? I'm going to be in heaven :o .

• 8 months later...

Well, today I was shopping for a few bits and pieces in the gourmet market in Emporium and came across a packet labelled "lavender", sold/packaged as fresh herbs in the veg/salad section.

The packet contained mostly fern/frond-like leaves, with only the odd flower head which hadn't fully developed. The leaves are indeed lavender, but I can't tell which variety. A pity they picked it before it had flowered properly.

As it is labelled "Royal projects", it would be a Doi Kham organic product and therefore grown somewhere up in Chiang Mai. Proof that it can, indeed, grow in Thailand in the right conditions and if it's a suitable variety. The fact that it's now commercially available may mean that it will soon be more widely avalable. Doi Kham products can be picked up in Villa, Golden Place and Lemon Farm, as far as I know.

I have only once found lavender as a potted plant here, which I quickly snapped up from the air-conditioned shop. The plants didn't last very long out in the Bangkok humidity.

If anyone can pick up with this lead and identify the variety of lavender this may be our best clue yet to growing lavender in private homes and gardens in Thailand!

Hi, I successfully grew lavender from seed sown in November 2007. Got the seeds in UK off internet site called nickys nursery. They all flowered, which I believe is unusual in the first year, but died due to heavy monsoon rainfall, when we were in the UK in the summer 0f 2008. Have a look at the site, they sell two or three kinds of lavender seed, not expensive. Would suggest you plant them in pots, which can be put under shelter when the rainy season comes. Used compost bought in 100 Baht bags, no problems in growing seeds.

This year, we're trying various seeds, hollyhocks, alyssum, (which all failed last year - then I read somewhere to plant them surrounded by marigolds, which are supposed to keep nasties away from them, seems to be working so far..).

Also Petunias, various marigolds, (french marietta, red marietta, tall scotch, yellow jacket, sunspot orange), lobelia, aster, several types of morning glory, (tried "heavenly blue" variety last year - very successful). Also trying several kinds of pansy.

Will post again in a few weeks in case people are interested.

Incidentally, for anyone in Phetchabon area, there is an agricultural festival on in Phetchabon from about (not sure exactly of the dates), 17th to 25th january. This usually has a lot of flower plants, fruit and vegetable plants etc for sale, at reasonable prices. We usually buy a songtieow full - large garden to populate! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Well, today I was shopping for a few bits and pieces in the gourmet market in Emporium and came across a packet labelled "lavender", sold/packaged as fresh herbs in the veg/salad section.

The packet contained mostly fern/frond-like leaves, with only the odd flower head which hadn't fully developed. The leaves are indeed lavender, but I can't tell which variety. A pity they picked it before it had flowered properly.

As it is labelled "Royal projects", it would be a Doi Kham organic product and therefore grown somewhere up in Chiang Mai. Proof that it can, indeed, grow in Thailand in the right conditions and if it's a suitable variety. The fact that it's now commercially available may mean that it will soon be more widely avalable. Doi Kham products can be picked up in Villa, Golden Place and Lemon Farm, as far as I know.

I have only once found lavender as a potted plant here, which I quickly snapped up from the air-conditioned shop. The plants didn't last very long out in the Bangkok humidity.

If anyone can pick up with this lead and identify the variety of lavender this may be our best clue yet to growing lavender in private homes and gardens in Thailand!

FWIW - I tried planting both "Pink lavender" and "Munstead" seed varieties (bought from AFM in Chiang Mai). While both varieties germinated reasonably successfully, the "Pink" clearly struggled and died off more than the "Munstead" - which is more compact and the leaves slightly more fleshy. As of now, from a combined total of about 40 seedlings I have 4 remaining as small plants - all "Munstead". No flowers as yet - and I'm not optimistic about their survival even in the Chiang Mai climate. Still, this limited comparison obviously suggests that "Munstead" is the more likely (less unlikely?) to succeed here.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I successfully grew lavender from seed sown in November 2007. Got the seeds in UK off internet site called nickys nursery. They all flowered, which I believe is unusual in the first year, but died due to heavy monsoon rainfall, when we were in the UK in the summer 0f 2008. Have a look at the site, they sell two or three kinds of lavender seed, not expensive. Would suggest you plant them in pots, which can be put under shelter when the rainy season comes. Used compost bought in 100 Baht bags, no problems in growing seeds.

This year, we're trying various seeds, hollyhocks, alyssum, (which all failed last year - then I read somewhere to plant them surrounded by marigolds, which are supposed to keep nasties away from them, seems to be working so far..).

Also Petunias, various marigolds, (french marietta, red marietta, tall scotch, yellow jacket, sunspot orange), lobelia, aster, several types of morning glory, (tried "heavenly blue" variety last year - very successful). Also trying several kinds of pansy.

Will post again in a few weeks in case people are interested.

Incidentally, for anyone in Phetchabon area, there is an agricultural festival on in Phetchabon from about (not sure exactly of the dates), 17th to 25th january. This usually has a lot of flower plants, fruit and vegetable plants etc for sale, at reasonable prices. We usually buy a songtieow full - large garden to populate! :o

hi

i want to grow lavender. i own zero experience. give me some tips to start, thanks. i live in bkk.

hi

i want to grow lavender. i own zero experience. give me some tips to start, thanks. i live in bkk.

Check out the links at the following to give you a basic overview:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lavender+growing&ie=UTF-8

An update on my experience - reported earlier............ Despite careful attention to conditions (not full-on sun, not too dry, not too wet etc) - all but one of the remaining four Munstead lavender seedlings have died. That's here in Chiang Mai - I have real doubts whether it's viable at all in BKK (greater humidity etc).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm gonna start a Lavender project in Thailand soon...

We will start with 1000 seedlings up north of Bangkok, Bangkok and southern areas are too humid for lavender...

i will keep you updated

Scottbiker :)

Hi,

1000 seedling, may i ask some question.

How do you get 1000 seedling, from buy or you grow from seed?

If you buy, where I can buy it?

Which type of 1000 seedling?

What about status today as of NOV09, regarding your project. Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

Okay, still keeping this topic going as it's now a project of mine to succeed!

I managed to get the last remaining lavender plant that was part of a Royal projects fair at Emporium and it did really well. The area where I had it had a constant, gentle breeze but full sun at the back of our house. Unfortunately, I went on holiday and left someone with strict instructions not to kill that plabnt as it had been so difficult to get in the first place but I got back and it was a brown twig.

Fortunately, I managed to identify it before it died. The University at Kasetsart also grows it for the Royal projects.

Unfortunately, they only do it sporadically and at certain times of the year when the conditions are favourable. ie, no fixed timetable.

Fortunately, I went back to the UK and found one supplier - seeds by size - who sells the seed.

Unfortunately, here I am, several weeks later and now back in Thailand, with no acknowledgement of my fully paid-up order.

Only certain varieties will survive here because of the humidity, therefore, avoid anything with leaves that are grey or too furry. Most English lavenders are hardy, meaning they survive the cold and are unikely to grow here.

The variety which I had is called Lavender dentata and has fern-like leaves. I might be tempted to sneak back cuttings next time I get back to the UK. Jekka's herbs sells the plants.

Anyone with any easier suggestions or experiences to share?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you are the one who a passionate to lavender flower. Whether a particular fragrance and Purple Heart pinned like me...

But never were planted. Or try to grow but do not succeed ... (not germinate or germinated and then died.)

We now open the course for 'Lavender growing and care' since starting from seed, care, harvest (flowers), propagation, and product continuity. (Fresh and dried)...

We'd been performing successfully in Thailand and we want you to enjoy your success....

Contact us to discuss the details (place for crop, program, price) MR. Orm 0811006798 directly.

หากคุณเป็นอีกคนหนึ่งที่หลงใหลในดอกลาเวนเดอร์ ไม่ว่าจะเป็นกลิ่นหอมเฉพาะและสีม่วงตรึงใจ เหมือนผม...

แต่ยังไม่เคยทดลองปลูก หรือได้ลองปลูกแล้วแต่ไม่ประสบความสำเร็จ...(ไม่งอก หรืองอกแล้วตาย)

เราเปิดสอนแล้วตั้งแต่เริ่มต้น (เพาะเมล็ด) จนถึงเก็บเกี่ยว (ดอก) ขยายพันธุ์ (ปักชำ) และทำผลิตภัณฑ์ต่อเนื่อง (สดและแห้ง)...

เราทำสำเร็จแล้วในเมืองไทย และเราก็อยากให้คุณได้ชื่นชมความสำเร็จของคุณด้วย....

ติดต่อเรา เพื่อพูดคุยในรายละเอียดครับ (สถานที่เพาะปลูก, หลักสูตร, ราคา) อ้อม 0811006798

• 4 months later...