Chiang Rai?

hi guys

this is my first post here.

I am thinking of making a side trip to Chiang Rai in the middle of may. only for a couple of days.

I have been searching and not much information found about gaylife there. Yeah I know it is a small city :o

Anyone have suggestions at hotels or guesthouses with no problem bringing a friend back.

On internetsearch I have found 2 bars, but they both look like gogo or hostbars, but I am not so much into that kind of bars, I dont remember their names, but any other suggestions to places where you can relax and have fun whit the local guys?

Thanks for you help

hi guys

I am thinking of making a side trip to Chiang Rai in the middle of may. only for a couple of days.

I have been searching and not much information found about gaylife there. Yeah I know it is a small city :D

Anyone have suggestions at hotels or guesthouses with no problem bringing a friend back.

On internetsearch I have found 2 bars, but they both look like gogo or hostbars, but I am not so much into that kind of bars, I dont remember their names, but any other suggestions to places where you can relax and have fun whit the local guys?

Thanks for you help

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU GOOGLE "PURPLE ROOFS" GAY HOTEL GUIDE AND SEARCH FOR GAY AND GAY FRIENDLY ACCOMMODATIONS IN CHIANG MAI. :o OR ALL AROUND THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER.

ALSO, GOOGLE "PJ's" PLACE WHICH IS GAY OWNED AND MANAGED. :D THE HOSTS HAVE ALL KINDS OF INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAY SCENE IN TOWN. THE ROOMS ARE IMMACULATE AND THE BREAKFAST IS SUPERIOR. THEY HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH BRINGING HOME "FRIENDS". THEY ARE LOCATED AT THE END OF A VERY QUIET DEAD-END STREET AND ARE CLOSE TO TOWN. THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY AND PRICE IN THE CITY, WHICH IS VERY BIG.

Not that I know of. My gay Thai tour guide knew of one that used to be right near Wiang Come hotel and the Lobo host bar, but I did not catch the name. He got lucky that night, there, but it was 2003, so I have no idea of the current scene.

Yep there is a host bar next to t he Wang Come hotel, I could see it from my hotel window, but I never actually entered the place, it was quite busy from the looks of it.

The bar facing the Wangcome Hotel is called the Regency Bar, I always felt welcome here.

For your accomodation, this place has been recently recomended on the Ting Tong gay board and seems reasonnably cheap and well located (and gay-friendly) :

The North Hotel in Chiang Rai

Ilz, thank you. I have been looking at this hotel too, but my only problem is that I have not stopped smoking yet , I hope to do it soon, and the hotel is total non-smoking from their homepage.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiang Rai is a fantastic place for a debaucherous night out every once in a while.

:D

Maybe not what the OP is looking for but I could tell some stories of nights spent bar hopping between Lobos and Regency :D . Both these bars are typically dead, but we usually turn up with an entourage and :o - in Chiang Rai it seems pretty much anything goes......... I'd love to share the details but I fear they'd have PB racing for the delete key :D Lets just say that when there are no other customers around all the staff can concentrate on the job in hand, so to speak :D

Almost got ripped off in Lobos once; one of the Thais in our gang (a retired soi Twighlight veteran :D ) spotted the trick and gave the captain some of his razor sharp tounge resulting in a free bottle of whisky by way of apology B) .

CR night bazzar is a great place to eat and drink in the evenings with plenty of eye candy, CR also has several discos. One, (the name escapes me- its a couple of blocks west of the clock tower) has quite a strong gay contingent on a Saturday night. Two more are south of the town center, one is the imaginatively named "Sperm club" which I've heard good reports of . I can't remember the name of the other, but its a big Thai place along the lines of Hollywood.

Incidentally, one of the best (and certainly the biggest) reasons for visiting Lobos can now be found in CM at New My Way :D

• 1 year later...
hi guys

I have been searching and not much information found about gaylife there. Yeah I know it is a small city :)

Thanks for you help

I've visited Chiang Rai over the past 7 years, and the gay scene has always been quiet. Now, I would say that it has become dormant. Formerly, Lobo Boy Bar had an amateurish show, but with cute fresh guys. Ten years ago, it was way overpriced: 100 baht entrance fee, 90 baht for a small beer, and a 500 baht "off" fee if you wanted to take one of the boys home with you. I went there last night, and can report that it has degenerated into nothingness. No show. Waiters not even cute. And I paid 100 baht for a glass of soda water. I was the only customer, and that was one more than they deserved. Place has a "For Sale" sign posted. I'd say that the whole operation is worth no more than a dollar. In case my opinion is not clear, here it is: Turn your back and run away as fast as you can. You will do a lot better by just cruising the very nice Night Market.

I've visited Chiang Rai over the past 7 years, and the gay scene has always been quiet. Now, I would say that it has become dormant. Formerly, Lobo Boy Bar had an amateurish show, but with cute fresh guys. Ten years ago, it was way overpriced: 100 baht entrance fee, 90 baht for a small beer, and a 500 baht "off" fee if you wanted to take one of the boys home with you. I went there last night, and can report that it has degenerated into nothingness. No show. Waiters not even cute. And I paid 100 baht for a glass of soda water. I was the only customer, and that was one more than they deserved. Place has a "For Sale" sign posted. I'd say that the whole operation is worth no more than a dollar. In case my opinion is not clear, here it is: Turn your back and run away as fast as you can. You will do a lot better by just cruising the very nice Night Market.

Thank you for the report ; I am booked in Chiang Rai for the end of next month and interested in any update.

Despite your advice I think I will have a look at Lobo because only two years ago I saw nice boys there ... I even took one but only for going to a disco with my B/F and also a guy from Regency.

Do you know whether Regency Bar (facing Wang Come) is still open ? Did you visit ?

I also got the information that there would be a massage service in The North Hotel ... Will update as soon as I have more.

• 5 months later...

Recently an all-male sauna, PPSauna, has opened in Chiang Rai. It is behind the Bus Station that is across from the Night Market. I found it very clean and friendly. Their website contains a map. Let me know what you think.

Was in C.R. recently and dropped into Lobo and Regency. Absolutely dire! Regency was totally dead, with two staff from the very bottom of the barrel. Lobo has moved 30M up the soi and is now just a small bar with no show. Slightly better than regency, but only just.

Can reccomend the English bar next to Lobo for breakfast though, awsome! Gayest place in town is the Italian restaurant on the main street near the Night Bazzar :) (Same steet, but opposite side as Wiangcome Inn). Great selection of camp waiters and handsome hill tribe types; unfortunately, the pizza sucked! :D

Edited by Paagai

• 1 month later...
The bar facing the Wangcome Hotel is called the Regency Bar, I always felt welcome here.

For your accomodation, this place has been recently recomended on the Ting Tong gay board and seems reasonnably cheap and well located (and gay-friendly) :

The North Hotel in Chiang Rai

Ilz, thank you. I have been looking at this hotel too, but my only problem is that I have not stopped smoking yet , I hope to do it soon, and the hotel is total non-smoking from their homepage.

we stayed there and most rooms have a small balcony where you can smoke....