Pnom Penh Consulate Fiasco

In those synonyms the word resident doesn't appear. Western societies are never going to permit tourists to wander around ad infinitum are they ?  They should define it, but alas, they wont.

Good point, doctor: Western countries have their own immigration laws, and some of them are quite strict. Thailand has the right to control its borders and the visitors to the Kingdom.

Sometimes it's amazing or humorous to see people just wander into Thailand, stay indefinitely, make endless border runs, not have the cash in the bank, not have proof of income or support, and then they want special treatment or privileges.

On the other hand, the Thai govt. does seem to put almost insurmountable barriers to a large number of self-supporting people (such as the English teachers the Thai govt. seems to sometimes say they seek). And the military retirees in their 40's can't get a retirement visa even if their pension is 80,000 baht per month.

Indeed, the Thai government doesn't publish clear regulations. Then again, some of the Western countries don't do that, either.

I think that a case could be made for wealthy younger retirees but it would need to be a unified rational approach. No rants or raves, just a sensible case.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally post here, because of some of the holier than thou attitudes of the powers that be. This poster gave a an account of a personal screwing at the hands of a Thai immigration officer. If some of you think that he just got what he deserved, or that anyone living here and doing monthly visa runs should be banned from residence, that fine. You're entitled. However, for the sake of consistency, please advise thes folks to leave immediately and return only when they can meet the then current legal visa requirements. And of course, you'll also advise them to ignore all of the hotel ads on your site since they are not "legal" tourists. Also, the banner for thai legal services will be tossed because everyone will be legal and have no need for their service. And sorry - no need for a condo either. Maybe some of the nice folks on this forum assume that everyone is a scumbag because the nice folks on this forum are also.................

here we go again,why u guys have to compare immigation or visa laws from Europe or the US,with the laws of a Country like Thailand,sorry to say that but Thailand is not a "1class" country,and i guess 95% of the foreigners what live here or come here dont want to work here at all,and if they do u can be sure that the business who hired them dont want to have a Thai at all,so that means if the foreigner doesnt get that job,the Thai also won't get it,and the Thai government knows that very well.The Thai government always blamed foreigners if something was wrong in Thailand,very easy to do so,most of the uneducated(thanks to the government]population agress with that,or did u ever hear a Thai saying"Sorry it was my fault"?Also,i read that phrase"if u dont like it go home"wow,for example, i gave up everything in Germany i have a small daughter here and a girlfriend,i bought a house pickup,Hondas whatever more,my gf doesnt want to go to europe at all{lucky me}and i just cant afford to live in Europe again,i invested my savings in Thailand and have my pension 55000baht,and im not married im not 50yet,so u really mean i should go home?Or just shut up let them do with me whatever they want?

• 3 weeks later...
eye'm in agreement w/ this dude. when thailand gives ewe a hassle like this 1, eye think it is thyme 2 go 2 another country. many people think thailand is da only country in da world. it is quite da contrary. so many places, like countries mentioned by da dude, are easier two deal with regarding visas. eye no that eye'm outta hear if da thais try dis crappola w/ me. their r to many but kissers on dis forum who act like thailand is da beginning and end of life. eye'm inn need of a brake please

Sounds like you/ll be a real loss..... :o

eye'll stay hear unless eye get n e similar problems like pyman has received. my plan is two stay hear and get an english teacher job. 4 now eye have too stay hear on touring visas. eye have know choice 4 da moment, dude

Then learn English :D

• 2 weeks later...
here we go again,why u guys have to compare immigation or visa laws from Europe or the US,with the laws of a Country like Thailand,sorry to say that but Thailand is not a "1class" country,and i guess 95% of the foreigners what live here or come here dont want to work here at all,and if they do u can be sure that the business who hired them dont want to have a Thai at all,so that means if the foreigner doesnt get that job,the Thai also won't get it,and the Thai government knows that very well.The Thai government always blamed foreigners if something was wrong in Thailand,very easy to do so,most of the uneducated(thanks to the government]population agress with that,or did u ever hear a Thai saying"Sorry it was my fault"?Also,i read that phrase"if u dont like it go home"wow,for example, i gave up everything in Germany i have a small daughter here and a girlfriend,i bought a house pickup,Hondas whatever more,my gf doesnt want to go to europe at all{lucky me}and i just cant afford to live in Europe again,i invested my savings in Thailand and have my pension 55000baht,and im not married im not 50yet,so u really mean i should go home?Or just shut up let them do with me whatever they want?

The foregoing behoves the question as to whyever did you come to live in such a low grade country. There's little wonder why many foreigners are held in such low esteem by our hosts.