Standby

Hello All

I've just booked to fly back to england for a bit and the prices have gone right up.

I'm not skint but was wondering...

Could one turn up at the airport and go on standby with any airlines for a cheap seat?

In the bar last night people suggested:

not anymore

not for longhaul

maybe

etc...

Anyone know anything...?

cheers to all on here

Don't even think about it. Thai Airways, for example, has a Standby counter opposite the check-in section at Suvarnabhumi. Out of curiosity, after checking in and prior to going through Passport Control on my way back to Australia, I politely enquired about travelling Standby at a later date from BKK to Australia.

The counter lady asked how I was travelling this time. I showed her my Thai Airways ticket. I was told my flight was full. I agreed and asked show much they would charge if someone failed to show at the last minute. After insisting the flight was full, she finally said 'full price.'

As an aside, Thai Airways do publish heavily discounted fares on their website on flights that are not filling well and due to leave within 48 hours. You can actually get on their email list for these specials.

Personally - I just suggest visiting Sky Scanner and typing in your flight departure and arrival points and let the computer pick the cheapest flights and prices - ideal if your travel dates are flexible.

Peter

Years and years ago there was standby fares which were cheaper. This was a popular way for backpackers to travel in the 1970's. But then we had deregulation of fares and Freddie Laker (Laker Airways!) (anybody remember them?) and that all stopped. Fares now at the airport are considered full fare Economy and the most it will do is get you an upgrade. But then a full fare economy class is just about the same as a discounted business class seat.

The further in advance you book your seat the cheaper it is. Though if you think about it, an airline seat is a perishable commodity and once the plane leaves it can't be sold. So why not sell it cheaper?

Years and years ago there was standby fares which were cheaper. This was a popular way for backpackers to travel in the 1970's. But then we had deregulation of fares and Freddie Laker (Laker Airways!) (anybody remember them?) and that all stopped. Fares now at the airport are considered full fare Economy and the most it will do is get you an upgrade. But then a full fare economy class is just about the same as a discounted business class seat.

The further in advance you book your seat the cheaper it is. Though if you think about it, an airline seat is a perishable commodity and once the plane leaves it can't be sold. So why not sell it cheaper?

Hi

Freddie Laker (Laker Airways!) (anybody remember them?)

Yup

Skytrain DC10's 99 quid LGW - JFK return .... until BA & Virgin? put pressure on McDonnell Douglas to stop selling him aircraft.

So much for fair competition.

TBWG :o

I can only agree with the others - I have seen so many turn up with tickets on standby and not get on.

If you have a higher priced ticket and a Gold Card you will usually get on but anything else be prepared to turn up twice a day or so for a few days unless lucky - esp at busy holiday times.

One New Year a few years ago I had to queue and its a scrum at TG - they shouted my name but I could not hear. I saw people get tickets with a lesser card and ticket than me so complained about the system - some poor airline employee was actually removed from his seat for me in the end but he travels knowing that paying passengers go first.

There was one poor German girl who was on a really cheap ticket and had been there for 2 flights a day for 6 days and could not get on - poor girl was in tears and I said if she could have my place she could have it but they said if i did not want it then the next on the list in priority would get it.

Thing is the list starts again for each flight - earlier you are there the higher up the list you are in your particular category and as I saiod its Gold Card and the highest possible ticket class first.

Airlines can't even rebook many PAX that miss connecting flights due to capacity now, so imagine the situation that will occur once the new cuts in capacity kick in. Unless you are flying full fare and in a premium class, I'd say chances are next to nil unless it's an unpopular airline (1,2 GO) or an unpopular route (i.e. BKK to JFK via the Ukraine)

Every day many passengers miss flights: they get sick, go to the wrong airport, oversleep, have flat tires, have a family emergency, mis-connect. Airlines oversell based on complex formulae, but often flights go out with empty seats (or conversely, have VDB's or IDB's). Having said that, you will pay an extreme premium as you will be forced to buy a Y or B fare, which is the most expensive Economy fare bucket.

I think eventually some airlines will auction some seats for last-minute (probably 48 hours or more), some already do this, like hotels do for "late-stays".

TG, like other carriers, offers buy-ups (Y --> C/C --> F) at check-in on many routes based on availability. The price for a buy-up is much, much less than if one had purchased a Business or First Class ticket.

edited to add: Some (many? most?) airlines offer their highest status passengers guaranteed seating. I am familiar with these programs at TG, LH & UA. Again, you will be required to purchase a Y/B/M or C fare bucket, which are the most expensive, and some require at least 24 hours notice.

Edited by lomatopo

Don't even think about it. Thai Airways, for example, has a Standby counter opposite the check-in section at Suvarnabhumi. Out of curiosity, after checking in and prior to going through Passport Control on my way back to Australia, I politely enquired about travelling Standby at a later date from BKK to Australia.

The counter lady asked how I was travelling this time. I showed her my Thai Airways ticket. I was told my flight was full. I agreed and asked show much they would charge if someone failed to show at the last minute. After insisting the flight was full, she finally said 'full price.'

As an aside, Thai Airways do publish heavily discounted fares on their website on flights that are not filling well and due to leave within 48 hours. You can actually get on their email list for these specials.

Personally - I just suggest visiting Sky Scanner and typing in your flight departure and arrival points and let the computer pick the cheapest flights and prices - ideal if your travel dates are flexible.

Peter

BKK- Tokyo ฿60,441.00??? yeh real cheap website NOT. I paid 37,340Bht (incl). for 2 @ thai fly sorry peter standby is history

United: ฿30,220.50

* <<

* Tue 03 Jun

* >>

Inbound flight

United: ฿30,220.50

* <<

* Tue 10 Jun

* >>

Total estimated price

Adults: 2

฿60,441.00

Price is live! Check now

Edited by LindsayBKK

I tried that sky scanner too as a matter of interest. I don't consider 860 GBP as a particularly good deal for London return, pretty average really.

Peter, I've looked at the Thai web site but can't find anywhere you can register for any deals by email, could you post the link please?

Edited by sungod

"TG, like other carriers, offers buy-ups (Y --> C/C --> F) at check-in on many routes based on availability. The price for a buy-up is much, much less than if one had purchased a Business or First Class ticket."

Yes from Economy to Biz was about 23000THB and from Biz to First just over 30,000THB on the BKK to LHR route when i have done it

to coyote: of course you can, but first a pointer: you do NOT buy tickets anymore, you pay your fare, tickets have been abolished. Of course also: if here are any spare seats left. and esp. on AirAsia its just like Ryan/EZ (Europe) or jetSTAR (OZ): you pay the very highest price.

Flightcrew is right: the idea of cheap standby dates from the times when there were hardly any working computers. Its a century later now.

Prakanong: myself also being gold/ROP on Thai: and having worked years and years in the travel/airbooking-business: standby tickets are not sold anymore. even 'open'' dates are very, very rare now. ALL lower fares are fixed-booked, and will incur penalties if fixed date is booked- if that is allowed at all. Those stories of people lining up for days for spare seats (how long is it that fones have been invented anyway?) mainly seems to show how unresourceful some people can be. Still strikes me as very strange that most people dont even know what they buy in regard to conditons/strings attached to their fares.

I flew standby with CX last month to Paris (with a ticket). Couldln't get on any of the 5 flights on Saturday. So tried again on Sunday and managed to get on the second flight out of BKK to HKG. There no problems getting on the CX first flight to Paris and rturn Paris CDG-HKG-BKK no problems got on the first flight each time. I guess low season makes flying standby alright. I would noy fly standby in high seaon though. That would be outright stupid.

Passengers or passengers with paid for standby tickets first. For a but extra they can get priority, then CX pilots and staff, then pilots and staff of other big airlines and then the rest. Standy can be stressful because you never know on which flight you'll be. And it's suspense up to 40 minutes before closing the gate. And yes, you do have to run once you're given a boarding pass.

Edited by nohave

I flew standby with CX last month to Paris (with a ticket). Couldln't get on any of the 5 flights on Saturday. So tried again on Sunday and managed to get on the second flight out of BKK to HKG. There no problems getting on the CX first flight to Paris and rturn Paris CDG-HKG-BKK no problems got on the first flight each time. I guess low season makes flying standby alright. I would noy fly standby in high seaon though. That would be outright stupid.

Passengers or passengers with paid for standby tickets first. For a but extra they can get priority, then CX pilots and staff, then pilots and staff of other big airlines and then the rest. Standy can be stressful because you never know on which flight you'll be. And it's suspense up to 40 minutes before closing the gate. And yes, you do have to run once you're given a boarding pass.

Is there such a thing as a fare for a standby ticket ?

How does it compare to a cheap economy ticket with fixed dates and confirmed seat ?

Some carriers sell 3, 6 and 12 month "open" tickets, especially originating in Asia. So you have to both begin and complete travel within the 3, 6 or 12 month window. It's quite different from what we might be used to; purchasing a ticket for fixed travel dates, confirming seat assignments and then paying a fee (possibly) to change the return, or even outbound.

These open tickets book into standard fare buckets; a quick guesstimate would be Y/B for 12 month, M/H for 6 month and Q/V for 3 month. This will vary by airline; I am unfamiliar with CX's fare structure and rules. So once you have this ticket issued you have to try and confirm a flight/date with the airline. If they cannot confirm a flight/date then you may be required to stand-by.

I wouldn't expect these type of fares to be around for much longer as airlines will want to force customers who are less flexible to pay change fees, or buy up to a more expensive fare bucket, which might not have any fees for changes.

Not really any particular deal or bargain, and quite a bit different from what the OP seemed to be inquiring about.

Some carriers sell 3, 6 and 12 month "open" tickets, especially originating in Asia. So you have to both begin and complete travel within the 3, 6 or 12 month window. It's quite different from what we might be used to; purchasing a ticket for fixed travel dates, confirming seat assignments and then paying a fee (possibly) to change the return, or even outbound.

These open tickets book into standard fare buckets; a quick guesstimate would be Y/B for 12 month, M/H for 6 month and Q/V for 3 month. This will vary by airline; I am unfamiliar with CX's fare structure and rules. So once you have this ticket issued you have to try and confirm a flight/date with the airline. If they cannot confirm a flight/date then you may be required to stand-by.

I wouldn't expect these type of fares to be around for much longer as airlines will want to force customers who are less flexible to pay change fees, or buy up to a more expensive fare bucket, which might not have any fees for changes.

Not really any particular deal or bargain, and quite a bit different from what the OP seemed to be inquiring about.

What you are describing is a cheap economy ticket with restricted validity but not a standby ticket. You choose at buying not to have a date entered and take a chance to go to the airport with an open ticket not quite the same as a standby ticket as described by 'nohave' as he says his CX ticket was in the league of airline pilots standby etc.

I am familiar with open dated cheap economy restricted tickets but not standby tickets sold as such

Open tickets are availailable in Economy, Business and First.

I did not infer that nohave was flying NRSA (Non-Revenue, Spave-Available), which is how airline employees and their family/friends sometimes fly for either work (dead-heading) or leisure. NRSA travel is a wholly different subject, and typically involves going onto a waitlist where they may or may not have priority. On one legacy U.S. carrier they have ~ 30+ priority levels for NRSA travel.

Is it a wise move to buy a ticket from an airline when it can not guarantee the pax a confirmed seat on a specific date? Then be required to wait at the airline counter all day every day in the hope you may get a seat which you will in the end.

This is not the same as having a confirmed ticket and being weightlisted for other flights.I would not try this from Australia.

At Madrid int'l airport while hubby and me waiting to abroad American Airlines for the flight to Miami, U.S.A. . We saw this lady curled up sleeping on the row of chairs. That was not a pretty sight, seeing a young woman had to take the beat by sleeping in public place in a full view of stangers.

I think she must sense that too. She started telling me that she was on a standby ticket. Trying to catch the AA to Miami too, unfortunately, the flight was full, she got bumed-off the pass two days, today it was her third try, if she misses the flight again, she is just going to spend her days at this terminal until she gets on the plane.

I prayed that today it's her lucky day.

After we took up our seats ( we got up-grade to first class) , got clear view on the front airplane, I was particular looking up for her, wishing that I spot her walking through the isle, but disappointed, see no sign of her.

Do you think it's worth travelling on Standby ?

My best guess is that this woman was an AA employee, or family/friend (Buddy Pass) of an AA employee, or other airline employee. This is quite different from what the OP was asking about, and this is generally referred to as Non-Revenue, Space Available (NRSA).She was traveling at very low cost ($50 ~ $200), and likely knew the challenges that she was facing. She must have had extremely low priority (on the departure management waitlist), and may not have been an active employee as they can usually take a crew (jump) seat and then mill about on the flight. For her it was probably worth it, but who knows what her story was?

Edited by lomatopo

My best guess is that this woman was an AA employee, or family/friend (Buddy Pass) of an AA employee, or other airline employee. This is quite different from what the OP was asking about, and this is generally referred to as Non-Revenue, Space Available (NRSA).She was traveling at very low cost ($50 ~ $200), and likely knew the challenges that she was facing. She must have had extremely low priority (on the departure management waitlist), and may not have been an active employee as they can usually take a crew (jump) seat and then mill about on the flight. For her it was probably worth it, but who knows what her story was?

I had a confirmed seat with Thai from BKK-Syd on 30April at 2359. Had nothing to do so went to the airport at midday, went to J18 standby check-in and asked if I could leave on the 1800 flight, was told to come back at 1725, which I did and was seated in my preferred seat (emergency exit for the leg room). At the end of the day I got back to Sydney at 6AM instead of Midday, in my view not something I want to do again as the wait in the check-in area is uncomfortable.

This is called "Same-day, Stand-by", and many times the airline will accommodate your wish to take an earlier flight provided they have capacity and of course are operating multiple flights between the cities. (Conversely, some carriers have a "flat-tire" rule and try to accommodate you if you missed your earlier flight.) You actually might be helping them out if the later flight is over-sold. Some airlines may attempt to recoup a fee for this, or may grant it free of charge to higher status members. I take advantage of this often with my preferred carriers. It helps, on conencting flights, if you do not have checked bags.

Again, many many people miss their flights each day, so flying stand-by with a paid ticket provided the fare rules allow it, is not all that foreboding.