Cd Rom Driver Loaded But Cannot Find Ext Usb Cd Drive

JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

I have been having problems recently with my LG GSA-5169D external CD rom drive. I first noticed the problem when I could not add any virtual drives to Daemon Tool Pro to mount image files from so I uninstalled that program thinking it might have created a conflict but my external drive still did not work.

I checked in Device Manager and noticed that my external drive was recognised in the list but had a yellow exclamation mark on i. I checked the properties and this is the message displayed.

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

I tried uninstalling the drive and rebooting with it connected but it keeps showing the same message. I tried reinstalling the driver that I found on the internet but still nothing changed. I also have an update program (LGODD_Auto_FW2.exe) that checks for the latest driver but that will no longer install and comes up with the error message "user cancelled"

I have checked the drive on another old computer downstairs and it recognised it immediately and I was able to access it no problems at all so its not a hardware fault with the drive. So can anyone tell me how to go about get this drive to work again on my laptop please

Cheers

Jaf

I hace also noticed I cannot see any of the bubble messages that normally appear to let you know that it has found a device either or from any other programs that normally pop up to let you know that something is found or has finished downloading.......... I can hear them but I dont see the messages

Fully scanned and checked with AVG and Spybot but nothing is amiss

JAF

Guest Reimar

Two way to go to first:

1.: change the port the USB Cable is connected to the computer

2.: change the USB Cable

It can be one or both of them. Even sometimes moving the connector in the socket a bit can help.

If none of them work, check the drive an an different computer if you not have done already.

Cheers.

Two way to go to first:

1.: change the port the USB Cable is connected to the computer

2.: change the USB Cable

It can be one or both of them. Even sometimes moving the connector in the socket a bit can help.

If none of them work, check the drive an an different computer if you not have done already.

Cheers.

Yep done all of that Reimar, as I stated already it works fine on another machine so nothing wrong with the drive or the cables. Also checked my usb ports which work fine with my ext usb hard drive as well.......... its a windows problem

JAF

Try the CDgone patch: http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed.

Be sure to backup your data and create a system restore point prior to using the patch.

Guest Reimar

Ok, if you've the Windows CD from your System, try to reinstall.

If Windows XP, boot from the CD, ignore the first option of Repair, carry on , you'll need to press F8 once to accept the EULA and after that an other screen with option Repair should come. Press R for Repair and windows will re-install itself without to lose Drivers or Settings and so on.

May That helps.

Cheers.

Ok, if you've the Windows CD from your System, try to reinstall.

If Windows XP, boot from the CD, ignore the first option of Repair, carry on , you'll need to press F8 once to accept the EULA and after that an other screen with option Repair should come. Press R for Repair and windows will re-install itself without to lose Drivers or Settings and so on.

May That helps.

Cheers.

Nice idea Reimar but I cannot access the windows cd due to the drive not working......... Is it possible to transfer the files from the wondows cd to my 4gb usb stick using my other computer and then plug it into my notebook and access Window repair system that way ?? Though I doubt my notebook can boot from usb........

JAF

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

Try the CDgone patch: http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed.

Be sure to backup your data and create a system restore point prior to using the patch.

Thanks, that worked a treat

JAF