Air Asia-x Gold Coast To Kuala Lumpur

jingjoe

Just returned from Songkran, and having got a super cheap deal with AAX from Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur return (inclusive of 15kgs, meal, comfort kit and pre-allocated seat choice), for around the $1000 mark, can only praise this Airline. I had the XL seat (Business class size, and space without the trimmings or a lay flat seat).

The flight left on time, and arrived on time going over, and arrived back on the Gold Coast 10 minutes early on return. Good service on board, from a happy crew.

The seats;

XL seats

XL - Cabin

XL seat - Legroom

Jingjoe: As I walk through XL class on my way to economy class, I do drool over those seats - but economy class seats are surprisingly comfortable and have incredible leg-room compared to say Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines economy class. Actually I would be interested in a comparison with AirAsiaX's XL and economy classes legroom compared to the full-fare carriers.

Peter

I'm a big fella Pete, it's all about having "some" personal space. At just on AU$1050 inclusive of all options, and in the XL seats/cabin, I feel like I've won a cool prize. The product is worth double that, easily, and they absolutely piss on Jetstars over-priced and over-rated Star Class. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia X has launched its second Australia destination, starting direct flights between Perth and Kuala Lumpur from November.

The services to the Malaysian capital will start with six flights per week, increasing to daily services by March 2009.

AirAsia, which also has a Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast service, announced an introductory offer on one-way flights from Perth to Kuala Lumpur for $99 for travel between November and April, 2009.

Tourism Minister Sheila McHale said the deal between Tourism WA, AirAsia and Westralia Airports Corporation could inject nearly $100 million into the WA economy in the service's first year.

Ms McHale said Malaysia is already one of WA's top tourism markets, with nearly 40,000 visitors every year spending $157 million.

AirAsia next year plans to link Australia with London via Kuala Lumpur - which will further boost the number of United Kingdom visitors to WA.

Ms McHale said low-cost carriers had historically been successful in boosting tourism by offering competitive fares and attracting visitors who had not travelled widely before.

Westralia Airports Corporation chief executive Brad Geatches said the arrival of AirAsia would be a profitable win for the state's tourism industry.

He said the deal presents an opportunity for Perth Airport to become a major hub for low-cost carriers.

"Our recently announced $1 billion plan to consolidate the international and domestic terminals means we will be well-placed to meet the growing demand from people travelling through Perth," he said.

In 2007, AirAsia carried 18.5 million passengers around its network of 90 routes across south east Asia and China.

Sir Richard Branson of the Virgin Group owns a 16% stake in Air Asia as well as a 25% stake in Virgin Blue.

It has been suggested that Virgin Blue and AirAsia could possibly develop a partnership in the future with Virgin Blue feeding Air Asia's long-haul network from various points in Australia.

• 2 months later...

Hmm

I cant see why this is such a good offer if coming from Bangkok.

The cheapest fares i have found are about 25000 including taxes (why dont they just tell u the full fare as we all have to pay the tax).

Now u gotta get return to KUL its more than 5000.

Total cost more than 30,000 but you can fly direct with thai for around 35,000 - you get food, you wont miss any connecting flights etc

Hmm

I cant see why this is such a good offer if coming from Bangkok.

The cheapest fares i have found are about 25000 including taxes (why dont they just tell u the full fare as we all have to pay the tax).

Now u gotta get return to KUL its more than 5000.

Total cost more than 30,000 but you can fly direct with thai for around 35,000 - you get food, you wont miss any connecting flights etc

Best I could get (Thai) all up was just over 40K for around Oct/08