Is Living In Thailand Really That Bad These Days?

ameliaL

I live here too, have done off and on for over 20 years.
It all comes down to how much you can over look. Would it drive you crazy if a bar opened next door and blasted music all night ?

No because I live on the eightfloor of a large apartment building. With the wondows shut I hear nothing- never had a place so quiet in my life. It has a restaraunt, massage place and coffee shop in the complex but a bar would be a nice addition.

Would it drive you crazy if you are charged twice or even 10 times as much as a Thai ?

Rarely happens as my Thai is resonable and I ask prices first.

Do you plan to drive a car in the city traffic ?

I own a car and love driving in Bangkok, doesn't everyone?

Can you keep and feel safe when there is crime going on all around you ?

I feel very, very safe in Thailand. People who worry about crime and so on must postively shake in fear when crossing a busy road. Develop a backbone is my advice.

Can you accept that the main reason they want you in the country is because of your money ? Can you accept that you have NO say in any government dealings or laws even if they affect you. Do you mind going to checkin every 90 days to the government, no matter what visa you have ?

Yes. BTW I never go to immigration except at end of year. The secretary handles the

90 day check in.

I need to get a secretary. I must be one of the few that doesn't have one. I imagine your chauffer handles the driving in BKK as well. Great life. I do feel safer in Thailand than back home. No one has threatened to kill me here yet.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was just me that had become disillusioned with “Paradise”. Apparently not.

I agree with SBK that living in Thailand we go through phases. Even before Phase 1 begins, our 2 week holiday stirs the imagination of actually living here permanently. “The Thai’s are such lovely people. Always smiling”. The illusion begins.

Those first 2 or 3 years were fantastic for me (10 years ago). I loved every minute of it and when people asked me if I would ever leave Phuket, I said “never”. I loved the laid back lifestyle, the beaches, the people and having fun. The illusion grew.

Then phase 2 kicks in and the illusion is revealed. I came to despise everything about the place – the traffic, noise, no parking, crime, corruption, tea money, tuk tuks, tailors, beach sellers, girls, quality of tourists…lets face it, I had become miserable. I lived here, but I felt like a tourist every single day…”Hello, suit for you sir?”. It was time to go.

But the biggest issue in leaving “Paradise” is where to go. Where is better? It’s easy to rationalize it down to the weather, or cost, or the fact a pretty girl will actually look at you, so you stay. But where is better? You start thinking about Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines or Malaysia…but really, will any of them be better? So, you stay a little longer but you do not enjoy it like you once did. What changed? You or the place? Probably both. The illusion is over.

I knew it was time to go. I did want to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt, so I searched from North to South eventually settling in the mountains south of Chiang Mai in a small Thai village. People are friendly and helpful and get on with their business and don’t worry about mine. For what I sold my 2 bedroom house in Phuket, I have a 4 bedroom house, with pool on 8 Rai with amazing views. It was a good decision.

The tourist areas are just that – a place that exists solely to part you from your money. They are fun to visit but living there you are still a tourist. The illusion is less impressive when you know how it’s done, and once you reach that point, it’s time to leave.

Good Luck.

Who owns your house?

I thought it was just me that had become disillusioned with “Paradise”. Apparently not.

I agree with SBK that living in Thailand we go through phases. Even before Phase 1 begins, our 2 week holiday stirs the imagination of actually living here permanently. “The Thai’s are such lovely people. Always smiling”. The illusion begins.

Those first 2 or 3 years were fantastic for me (10 years ago). I loved every minute of it and when people asked me if I would ever leave Phuket, I said “never”. I loved the laid back lifestyle, the beaches, the people and having fun. The illusion grew.

Then phase 2 kicks in and the illusion is revealed. I came to despise everything about the place – the traffic, noise, no parking, crime, corruption, tea money, tuk tuks, tailors, beach sellers, girls, quality of tourists…lets face it, I had become miserable. I lived here, but I felt like a tourist every single day…”Hello, suit for you sir?”. It was time to go.

But the biggest issue in leaving “Paradise” is where to go. Where is better? It’s easy to rationalize it down to the weather, or cost, or the fact a pretty girl will actually look at you, so you stay. But where is better? You start thinking about Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines or Malaysia…but really, will any of them be better? So, you stay a little longer but you do not enjoy it like you once did. What changed? You or the place? Probably both. The illusion is over.

I knew it was time to go. I did want to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt, so I searched from North to South eventually settling in the mountains south of Chiang Mai in a small Thai village. People are friendly and helpful and get on with their business and don’t worry about mine. For what I sold my 2 bedroom house in Phuket, I have a 4 bedroom house, with pool on 8 Rai with amazing views. It was a good decision.

The tourist areas are just that – a place that exists solely to part you from your money. They are fun to visit but living there you are still a tourist. The illusion is less impressive when you know how it’s done, and once you reach that point, it’s time to leave.

Good Luck.

Who owns your house?

Why would you ask who owns my house?

Regardless of my response, you will probably take delight in saying "you can't own a house in Thailand". We know.

...and now back on topic.

Ulysess G...and I have enjoyed many of your posts. Glad you were able to carve out a lifestyle that suits you in Thailand...as have I.

I was trying to make a point, I guess, and failed :o

I wasn't saying that I necessarily think that (although I do sometimes, its human nature) but rather it is a very common attittude that everything was much better 20 years ago, 30, 40 or whatever, no matter WHERE you live. We all tend to forget the awful stuff and reminisce over how wonderful it all was when in fact, sometimes it was not.

And, I guess the other point I tried to make but didn't get across is that everything changes, it is inevitable, it is how we deal with those changes that makes us happy or unhappy, but to say that things have changed beyond recognition in 5 years to me seems it is more likely that the way YOU have viewed it has changed. Go back home and see what people there say and most likely you will hear the same complaints.

Nowhere is paradise, everywhere has problems. Sometimes you can live with those problems and sometimes you can't. But when running away from one place remember that the place you are running to will have its own set of issues.

Hi all,

any good opinions would be greatly appreicated........

thank you

amelia

Hi Amelia,

no matter where you end up, you have to take the good with the bad. Where I come from in So. California, people call it paradise, yet the cost of living is outrageous, the traffic miserable, the people not necessarily nice...., so caught up in themselves.

Here in Phuket, there are quieter parts of the island, near shopping. Bangtao, Rawai, to name a couple. Again, you take the good with the bad here. Phuket has infrastructure, has decent roads, has all that you would expect in a very modern society. With that (?), yes, comes the bad......increased crime as criminals come from outside the province for a quick score. Traffic, yes, too many cars here now, pollution on the increase. Natural state of the island on the decrease.

No matter where you end up, you take the good with the bad. I feel the good here outweighs the bad so I am comfortable.

hi amelia, id just like to piont out that wherever you go there you are. this also aludes to the poster that indicated, if your not a happy/contented person, then you ar,nt. i came to los as a tourist for six months of every year. no intentions of liveing or moving here. but as my post indicates here i am. sure its crazy and can drive you crazy, but in general terms i,m a happy bunny wherever i am so i dont think anywhere all good , all bad, just is . just be carefull and plan. i didnt and no probs as all my life plans existed anyway/already. good luck and enjoy.

This is a good subject, for me is what you are going to Thailand for. I lived for 10 and now 20 years in each a coule of places but I never thought I was moving to paradise nor was looking for it.

For me it's for the experience of it , I don't understand when people talk about the good old days, what is that ? there is nothing like the present. When it's time for me to move here permanently I will have no expectation, all I know is I am looking forward to live in another country that is it.

It can be Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand or Burma but not Laos, I love the ocean. Both of the other places I have live before had good & bad things about them but I was always happy to be there. I like Thailand and hope to spend a few years there with the good and the bad which are everywhere. I love starting new, there is nothing like it for me so not dealing with snow would great for a few years.

It all depends on where and how you want to live.

I am married to a Thai lady and our son will be 4 in August. We live on 10 rai of land 65km southwest of Khampaeng Phet in the central region with a collection of odd dogs.

My nearest permanent farang neighbour is about 60 km away but there are several who come and go during the year. There are only a couple of bars in the village 6km away and it is a rural community. There is very little crime and people up here give me a genuine smile and we try to talk in their not so good English and my poor Thai but everybody is friendly.

They probably know all my business and I expect my wife knows theirs but that is it. My wife started a noodle restaurant and small shop this year on another 10 rai of land she owns mainly because she was bored and she is a good cook anyway.

Up here there is not much for a farang to do and the nearest pizza or KFC is about 125km away but I am certainly happy enough here and expect to live out my days and die here.

I am probably of the rose tinted spectacles variety of farang though there are a lot of petty things that annoy me I just live with it.

Retiring to the countryside sounds great and maybe the OP should think about reading up on it.

Does anyone know of any good books about living out in the boondocks in Thailand?!!

Andrew Hicks

Everything deteriorates in the eyes of long-term people. Nothing is ever as good as it was back in the good old days.

Very true, but the good old day memories blank out the bad times. Thailand is not BKK, Phuket or Pattaya. I live in Pattaya with the GF but we also go up to see her parents at Sia Khao. Now that place is nothing like the former 3. Loudest noise I hear is from the chickens in the morning. Pick the place that suits you. Then you won't have a problem.

IF you are a good and safe driver, driver attitude here will drive you insane, the "Me, me, me!" syndrome and kamikaze stunts prevail every 30 seconds or so. Tourists usually don't notice that straight away but after living here you learn quickly...

I loved driving all the time, anytime and everywhere back home but twice here I have gotten rid of my license as I get too frustrated with dangerous Thai drivers. My wife is now at the wheel. Now the passenger, maybe next time I will get to severely beat or kill the bus driver that tried to run us off the road last time. :o There are also countless deathtraps my by friendly Thai civil engineers.

This country gets a 0/100 for road safety.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Spent 7 good years in CM, Pattaya and Samui in the good old days but I wasn't sorry to leave because I knew I could always go back.

If I were to live there again, I'd look for a quiet place by the sea if there's any left.

IMO, Phuket sucks, Pattaya is an acquired taste, CM isn't what it used to be and BKK is definitely out.

With that much said, no matter where you emigrate to, life's what you make it and Thailand is no better or worse than most countries I've lived in.

... Enjoy T Land for the fine weather , at least on the west coast of Phuket!

Cheap tangerines and snapper year round, the fun of a motor scooter. The shade of a rubber tree plantation...The owls hooting. The sea, bright green and tranquil, then angry but beautiful.

Thanx for some perspective, :D

It doesn't take long to see the ugly side of anything, (that's why it's not a good idea to look in the kitchen of your favorite restaurant, :o)

There's still plenty that's still good in the LOS, starting with a good attitude though will be required,

The ever changing visa requirements will also drive you crazy. Take a look at the posts regarding immigration and visas on this site and see what I mean.

As I posted earlier, as long as you don't let the crazy stuff get to you it is possible to have a good life in Thailand. Some can and some can't.

Make sure you also bring lots of cash. It's no fun here if you can't spend a few dollars ( Baht ). Money can buy you happiness for a short time here. Money is also the cause and answer to most of your problems.

No, it's not bad living here in Thailand. Far from it. It's fantastic. I enjoy it more everyday.

I wouldnt want to do it on a tiny budget though . . . . THAT seems to be the usual state of those who are so miserable with the place.

Ulysess G...and I have enjoyed many of your posts. Glad you were able to carve out a lifestyle that suits you in Thailand...as have I.

I loved Thailand from the beginning, but I came from San Francisco with some of the best restaurants, bookstores, music in the world and I missed those things.

I can remember when I first came to Chiang Mai and we were all wishing deperately for McDonalds and Pizza Hut and a decent used book store. Now, we have all that stuff and MORE and can communicate with friends and family and can down-load new music off the Internet. We have many of the comforts of home and the things that you can only get in Thailand.

I lived in Vietnam for a short while just to try it and liked Thailand much better, so I got that out of my system too.

Thailand isn't as exciting as when I first visited, but it has improved in many ways and besides that, now it is home. :o

No, it's not bad living here in Thailand. Far from it. It's fantastic. I enjoy it more everyday.

I wouldnt want to do it on a tiny budget though . . . . THAT seems to be the usual state of those who are so miserable with the place.

I would agree with all your comments, Bendix.

I lived for one year "like a Thai" which meant no hot water, lots of noise, etc.

Then I decided to remedy the things that were making me uncomfortable.

Moved to a middle class building (Thais would call it hi-so) with a nice view, directly at a BTS stop in Bangkok.

Finished out a sea view condo in Jomtien for a change of pace and scene.

Found a maid/houseboy who is absolutely fantastic to do for me the things that are much easier for a Thai person to accomplish. He is a gem, former head waiter at a Bkk restaurant, can cook both farang and Thai food, was a monk for some years, trained in massage at Wat Po, bilingual, and seems "born to serve".

Rented a car to try out driving and found I could handle it so am buying a Honda Jazz! I use it to travel back and forth from Bkk to Jomtien and never have to take a baht bus in the Pattaya area, something that irritated me no end.

All of this costs money, but it has made my life so good and so comfortable. And I could never have afforded "back home" what I can afford here.

Please, this is not a boast. Some on this forum seem compelled to trash anyone who is not either a cheap Charlie or on a low budget. I don't have a lot of money, but use what I have to make my life easier and better. IMO that is what money is for.

I enjoy living in Thailand every day! I am already dreading the time in October when I must return to my home country for a few weeks (an annual event for some years now). My next project is to wind up all my affairs there so I never have to go back.

Ok so Ive only been here just over 4 years but love the place, and not looking through rose tinted glasses.

I have a very good woman, who's during the last year of starting up a new company, had to support me and keep all the bills paid.

We have the family house outside Ayutthaya, which we try to get up to once a month, no other farangs or even a bar in the moo bahn. Rent a house outside Ban Chang overlooking the beach, only noise at night is the sea on the beach. :o

Had no major problems regarding visas or work permits and pay my tax every month.

We all know that Thai drivers are on a mission to reach the other side sooner rather than later. either get on with it and drive yourself or trust your life to a Thai driver :D

As for getting ripped off and unfriendly Thais. I have not had any problems, as yet, and hope not to. Head up to Pattaya maybe once a month to see some mates and never had any problems there. Never been ripped off buying materials or tools/plant prices out of the book and checked by the missus.

Enjoy driving to work in the morning with the missus, which is one thing I hated back home.

Enjoy eating Thai food on a daily basis, but do like the occasional steak and a decent fry up on a Sunday morning :D

All in all I can get everything I need, food, sat' TV, internet, bars, peace and quiet and the company of a good woman and friends.

So is living in Thailand realy that bad these days? Not in my opinion. I'm happy with my lot :D

I have mostly enjoyed my time in Thailand but now it's school time for my kid and we are all going to Japan.

There we will enjoy Asia at it's best, near 100% safety and leave the need to blend into environment of stray dogs and food cooked in the street and humiliating visa rules.

International school, as most other non-Thai things, cost the same or less in Tokyo than in BKK.

Not cutting ties at all - even buying a summer home in Thailand that we'll keep dormant and use for 2 months a year holiday when school in Japan is closed and, in 20 years, retire there.

In the meantime, Thailand opens up it's potential of nice living if you are well healed, do not have to work, or, if you have to, you are on expat package.

I don't believe the country has changed an inch over last 8 years. Quite opposite - that's Thai main problem - no change at all.

Wild development is brick and mortar, that does not constitute a change.

Laws, education and health system, politics, military, police, menthality...all cemented the way they have been for decades or even centuries. Some have even reversed and became more restrictive.

Huh?

You're concerned about laws and education systems and national mentality being cemented in the same way for decades and you're going to Japan?

Some mistake surely ;-)

No, it was a general answer to those who lament how Thailand has changed during their tenure. I am saying it has not changed and it will not change. I expect the same in 20 years when I finish my working life.

My intention is to spend school age of my kid in Japan (where I have lived for last 5 years) and Australia (my country), my retirement will coincide with her Uni graduatioton.

Then we are back to Thai to sit and relax and countdown and not be give a flying <deleted> what is happening outside my tropical castle.

I think that a lot of people come to Thailand unprepared mentally. Then when the initial thrill wears off; they moan.

As many have pointed out, it makes a big difference where in Thailand you live. For example, it is foolish to moan about crime and noise if you choose to live in Pattaya. Likewise it would be foolish to moan of lack of bookshops and Pizza if you live in a remote Isaan village.

I would never suggest to anyone not to live here. However I would say to everyone, stay for a minimum of six months before investing money here in property or business. Plus I would also warn against 'quick' permanent relationships with future unsuitable partners.

I have seen so many friends and aquaintances ruined financially and mentally in the last 7-8 years.

So in response to the OP question; 'Is Living In Thailand That Bad These Days'? The answer is no, not for me, because I have control over where and how I live in Thailand. Make sure that you have the freedom to change where you live in Thailand quickly if necessary.

I think that a lot of people come to Thailand unprepared mentally. Then when the initial thrill wears off; they moan.

As many have pointed out, it makes a big difference where in Thailand you live. For example, it is foolish to moan about crime and noise if you choose to live in Pattaya. Likewise it would be foolish to moan of lack of bookshops and Pizza if you live in a remote Isaan village.

I would never suggest to anyone not to live here. However I would say to everyone, stay for a minimum of six months before investing money here in property or business. Plus I would also warn against 'quick' permanent relationships with future unsuitable partners.

I have seen so many friends and aquaintances ruined financially and mentally in the last 7-8 years.

So in response to the OP question; 'Is Living In Thailand That Bad These Days'? The answer is no, not for me, because I have control over where and how I live in Thailand. Make sure that you have the freedom to change where you live in Thailand quickly if necessary.

I've been in Phuket now 10 years and yes things have changed, some for the better and some for the worst, but all in all it's a great life.

For many of those who don't like it here, it quite often comes down to money, or lack thereof.  To quote from the movie Boiler Room, "They say that money doesn't buy happiness.....BS, that's just because they don't have any"  Which to a point is true here or anywhere in that having a bit of extra cash does make life a bit more stress free.

No, it's not bad living here in Thailand. Far from it. It's fantastic. I enjoy it more everyday. I wouldnt want to do it on a tiny budget though . . . . THAT seems to be the usual state of those who are so miserable with the place.
... Some on this forum seem compelled to trash anyone who is not either a cheap Charlie or on a low budget. I don't have a lot of money, but use what I have to make my life easier and better. IMO that is what money is for.
On the contrary, we're helll on cheap Charlies, just ask Jing :o:D But you have a good point, money is core to most quality of life issues, a villa on the beach or a studio in soi dog helll, if you have money and have no reservations about spending it, then anywhere can be made bearable and comfortable. :D

... Enjoy T Land for the fine weather , at least on the west coast of Phuket!

Cheap tangerines and snapper year round, the fun of a motor scooter. The shade of a rubber tree plantation...The owls hooting. The sea, bright green and tranquil, then angry but beautiful.

Thanx for some perspective, :D

It doesn't take long to see the ugly side of anything, (that's why it's not a good idea to look in the kitchen of your favorite restaurant, :o)

There's still plenty that's still good in the LOS, starting with a good attitude though will be required,

Hi All,

Enjoyable to see all the posts... Have been here in LOS for almost 2 years... I am lucky... Have a good brain, good education and good friends... Learning the language helps a LOT... Letting go of your judgments and preconceptions helps a LOT too... :D

Thailand, like everywhere, requires one to change and develop... That is life, right?

Do what you can to change your attitude to fit your situation, or change your situation... Then, realize what you cannot change -- what is outside of your control...

This all reminds me of the "Serenity Prayer" ... worth studying if you do not know already...

see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,

the courage to change the things that should be changed,

and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

Or, another version:

The philosopher W.W. Bartley juxtaposes Niebuhr's prayer with a Mother Goose rhyme (1695) expressing a similar sentiment, but without comment:

For every ailment under the sun

There is a remedy, or there is none;

If there be one, try to find it;

If there be none, never mind it.

Enjoy life and the LOS, too!

Peace,

dseawarrior

:D