Teaching English By Non-native Speaker

costas

Hi all,

i have BSc, MSc and PhD in Food Science, all from english universities.

I am however greek, and as such i have been told that i would have serious problems working as an english teacher.

Although i would prefer to work on my field of expertise, i strongly doubt that i would find anything in Isaan, where i'll live with my wife.

Would the location make a difference on how flexible schools/universities

might be?

Also, if in a uni, is the salary i should be expecting in the region of 18-20k/pcm?

any info would be greatly appreciated

cheers

costas

Phd in food science? Man, you could land an excellent, high paying job in a high end hotel.

how would that be?

any offers of employment are welcomed, but i dont think

a. they'll have me (as what?) :o

b. there are any high end hotels in Loei :D

any other ideas?

cheers

costas

As long as you're not too dark skinned, and your accent isn't too strong you should be fine mate! Maybe even classed as a farang (if you look like one) kind of! Who told you you'd have problems? Generally if you're a non-native speaker, but not Asian or coloured, it shouldn't be a massive problem for you.

Also my friend just returned from Udon or KK, and he said there was a fair amount of work up there (he's coloured and he got offered a job right away) and that there are a lot of Filipinos earning a good (around 25-30K) wage there. He also knows a Canadian Asian chap working there no problemo! I'll try and get some more information for you over the weekend. But like I said if you'te English is good, your accent not too strong and you're not to swarthy (that's a polite way of saying 'of colour') you should be fine IMO and to an extent IME!

As long as you're not too dark skinned, and your accent isn't too strong you should be fine mate! Maybe even classed as a farang (if you look like one) kind of! Who told you you'd have problems? Generally if you're a non-native speaker, but not Asian or coloured, it shouldn't be a massive problem for you.

^ I agree with Ken. I know a Dane educated in the UK who's teaching English. I also know a US educated Chinese girl working here. Due to her Asian looks she can't pick and choose jobs, but she still found something pretty quickly.

I don't think you'll have much success looking for a lecturing position in Isaan. Would you consider a change of scenery? Several universities in Thailand offer International Programs in Food Science and they're often crying out for English speaking teachers. I know Prince of Songkla University's Pattani campus may be looking for someone soon. It's not a place I would recommend working (a PSU student was shot by a Muslim extremist last week), but it shows that their are positions out there.

Regarding uni salaries. The standard govt. package is usually 17,580 baht plus 8,000 baht housing allowance. In my experience this is negotiable, particularly for lecturers who aren't teaching English. I know of several people who earn more than 40,000 baht per month.

I hope this is of some help. Good luck!

(BTW - What's happened to the Greek football side? :o )

Phd in food science? Man, you could land an excellent, high paying job in a high end hotel.

how would that be?

any offers of employment are welcomed, but i dont think

a. they'll have me (as what?) :o

b. there are any high end hotels in Loei :D

any other ideas?

cheers

costas

You can check out the Loei Palace Hotel

http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/Northea...lace/index.html

and the Phu Pha Nam Resort...

http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/Northea...anam/index.html

Good luck :D

Regarding uni salaries. The standard govt. package is usually 17,580 baht plus 8,000 baht housing allowance. In my experience this is negotiable, particularly for lecturers who aren't teaching English. I know of several people who earn more than 40,000 baht per month.

I think maybe their classification is different than 'Ajarn Piset' (can be a Thai, too) which I don't think has a negotiable salary....Maybe 'Foreign expert' or 'Visiting Professor', which doesn't have the same salary restrictions, in my experience.

Some places, like the Mahidol Unversity International College, have much higher salaries. They're located on Phuttamonton sai 4 near Taling Chan. 60,000 per month for 12 teaching hours per week was the last I heard. 1200 baht per hour part time... in 2000.

Edited by Ajarn

I think maybe their classification is different than 'Ajarn Piset' (can be a Thai, too) which I don't think has a negotiable salary....Maybe 'Foreign expert' or 'Visiting Professor', which doesn't have the same salary restrictions, in my experience.

I have no idea what their official classification is, but they're certainly earning more than the standard govt package. At the uni I work for the salaries vary tremendously from faculty to faculty. The Faculty of Medicine has wealthy students and thanks to the exorbitant lab fees they pay their English teachers earn 15,000 bpm more than the rest of us :o

I think to a great extent it depends on who you know. One of the International Program directors has recently employed a BA qualified lecturer for 45,000 per month. Hmmm......not a bad salary for someone with a four-year Bachelor degree. Do you think it has anything to do with him being her son's best friend?

Anyway, my point is that whatever the uni execs claim - salaries are negotiable. For your info, I am an English teacher, but I earn more than 17,580 + 8,000 baht per month.

Thanks everyone,

i believe i am stuck with isaan as the wife has to 'pay-back' her scholarship.

i've been in this loei palace hotel, and they should not be too proud about the food arrangements....

but after 10 years in england i hope they wont be able to pick my accent...they have however asked me if i am muslim, as for the colour, i dare say lighter than thai, darker than the majority of farangs...so should be Ok

if push comes to shove i'll ask to be the Loei football coach, they cant turn THAT down :o

i have spoken with people there and they suggest that perhaps i should be hired as expert, but did not know that this could affect the salary so dramatically

thanks again

costas

Hi all,

i have BSc, MSc and PhD in Food Science, all from english universities.

I am however greek, and as such i have been told that i would have serious problems working as an english teacher.

Although i would prefer to work on my field of expertise, i strongly doubt that i would find anything in Isaan, where i'll live with my wife.

Would the location make a difference on how flexible schools/universities

might be?

Also, if in a uni, is the salary i should be expecting in the region of 18-20k/pcm?

any info would be greatly appreciated

cheers

costas

Perhaps you otta think of somtin besides english to teach,

perhaps math, science, physiques(just kidn) , etc.

might be better money.

just a thot or two,

:o