Has Anyone Imported A Thai Motorbike To The Us?

daveh

I really like the small honda 125cc bikes they have in Thailand. I would like to bring one to the US, but I have no clue how to do this and how much it would cost. Is it possible to import a Thai build Honda motorbike to the States? What process would I have to go through to make it legal?

I imagine I'd have to pay an import tax and get it check out for safety and emissions. Has anyone ever tried this? I'd be more than happy to buy one in the states if they sold them here, but they don't seem to offer them in the States.

Thanks.

You should check with U.S. Customs as most motor vehicle engines have to be registered and approved to insure they meet Federal Emissions Requirements. For you to get it tested and approved would be virtually impossible, not to mention the cost of doing so.

If you are allowed to import it, duties will be considerably less if it falls under the "used vehicle" category. For example, many people buy European cars, take delivery in Europe, tour around for a few weeks, then ship it home by boat, The car now falls under the "used" category and the import duty are correspondingly lower.

Suggest you also contact Honda and ask if this model or a similar one, is available in the USA.

good luck

PS - If you are planning to return to Thailand within one year, you can probably import it on a "temporary basis", then re-export it.

Buy it in the US. Bikes are a lot cheaper in the States, especially for used ones. If they don't sell the one you like in the US, it's because of emission or safety standards..

They don't sell Honda Waves in the US. In Thailand, they are about $1,000. You can't get a new bike for that anywhere in the US.

As far as bringing it over, after I get married, my wife should be able to bring it over. But it does have to pass emissions, and as waldwolf said, it will be next to impossible to get it tested in Thailand.

By the time you pay for everything, I'm sure it will have been cheaper to buy in the US...

And yes, there are new Honds bikes (and others) in the US for between 1000 and 2000 dollars...

More info....

http://www.dreamscape.com/danny/faq/index.html#6.8

6.8 -- Can I import a model not sold in the USA?

Theoretically, the answer often is "yes", but with major reservations. First, all scooter models never sold in the USA typically have never passed regulations governing safety (administered by the DOT) or emmissions (adminstered by the EPA), so these two major issues must be dealt with before even making any arrangements with overseas dealers. If the vehicle is used and already owned by the person seeking to import it, often the regulations are easier, though not if this model has never been legal for US import. Overall, it's much easier to buy a grey market, scooter then to somehow import one yourself. Because even Americans commonly confuse the dividing lines between state and federal jurisdiction over motor vehicles in the USA and are thus confused which government agencies and at what levels will handle the various issues involved in personal importation, the maze that must be navigated is rather daunting.

Edited by Ajarn

And yes, there are new Honds bikes (and others) in the US for between 1000 and 2000 dollars...

I think you are mistaken about this. From the Honda website, they have some small scooters for close to $2k, but for anything with the size and power of a Wave, the prices are around $5k.

http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/

It looks like they jump from 49cc, to 80cc, to 244cc completely bypassing the 125cc I'd like to get.. The smallest motorcycle they sell is the Rebel at 234cc and $2999.

If you know of something similar to a Honda Wave (part motorcycle, part scooter) for sale in the states, I would love to know about it.

By the time you pay for everything, I'm sure it will have been cheaper to buy in the US...

I think I've done enough research for you. :o

Good luck

Yes it can be done. If you have many many thousands of dollars and many weeks of extra time there is a remote possibility that one day you could proudly tool around america on your imported Honda Wave.

There are two main obstacles to overcome in getting an america title for your treasure. First you have to get DOT certification and second prove EPA compliance. If you want to get these certifications on your WAVE, plan about two years and around $200,000 and if they are within legal requirements you might get certification. There are some exceptions. If the vehicle is certified for "off-road" use only, you can get an exemption but if you are caught on the streets you will consider the certification route cheap and easy.

I recently exported a Suzuki DR800 to the US for a wealthy individual. Based on that fun, you would be well advised to budget around $5000 to get it in and just give up on ever getting it registered. My customer finally imported it into Mexico, declared it a race vehicle (also exempt from certifications) formally raced it in the Baja, proved it was a race vehicle, and after two days at the border got it into the US. At the border during import he was politely informed that if that vehicle was ever found on the street he would be doing time as a guest of the state.

Try contacting www.motorcycle-brokers.com a Canadian based import/export group that might be of some help.

Best of luck. It might be cheaper to buy a new Harley but hey....it will be the envy of everyone at the drive in!