Thammasat U In The Fall

Jorinda

I don't know if anyone else on here are at TU, but if you are I'd like some feedback. I'm going to be coming in as a foreign exchange student for the next semester and I'm getting my class schedule set up with the uni. The options for english speakers are pretty low, and I was only able to get 3 classes that will actually transfer over to my current school in the US. 1 of those 3 classes is on a saturday, which I'm pretty miffed about. I'm really worried that it will kill my weekend and any chance of seeing the rest of thailand, but I NEED to get the credit. Skipping is hard because it's only offered once a week, and there is only one section offered so I have no way to switch it. The people at TU basically said that I need to accept my schedule as is or I should find another host institution, which this late in the game is impossible (I have no where to live and no classes to take next semester at home). So I'm basically wondering if the saturady class will really kill all possibilities of seeing the country, if any other exchange students got stick in a situation like this, or any other random comments. I also looked at the list of holidays where students get out of school, and none of them are on saturday so I'm not counting on holidays to get me out.

I have a friend at Thammasat SIIT and he absolutely hates it. If you can, transfer to mahidol MUIC or if you really want to have free time see about ramkhamheng IIS as they only have class sessions twice a week.

I have a friend at Thammasat SIIT and he absolutely hates it. If you can, transfer to mahidol MUIC or if you really want to have free time see about ramkhamheng IIS as they only have class sessions twice a week.

Had a good friend from the US study part of her MA at Thammasat and she really loved it..... her classes were full days on Saturdays and Sundays and she didn't feel like she missed out on anything by losing the 'conventional' weekend.

SIIT is a different school which is run by Thammasat, they only offer engineering programs.

I teach in the international programs at Thammasat at Tha Prachan campus which you are likely enrolled in. Almost all of the exchange students tell me they are having a great time, are able to travel, and sometimes miss the occasional class because of travelling with no great penalty.

Edited by ricklev

Madjibs - I might not have any free days other then stunday depending on the scheduling of the Thai Studies classes I'm in. I'm also in ethnic groups and thai for beginners.

Ricklev - Yeah I am enrolled there as a B.E student. That's good to hear, I was assuming worst case scenario is I have to skip class sometimes. It's just aggrevating having such a small class selection at bad times, and I am worried about losing the conventional weekend if I'm in class every other day non-stop.

Madjibs - I might not have any free days other then stunday depending on the scheduling of the Thai Studies classes I'm in. I'm also in ethnic groups and thai for beginners.

Ricklev - Yeah I am enrolled there as a B.E student. That's good to hear, I was assuming worst case scenario is I have to skip class sometimes. It's just aggrevating having such a small class selection at bad times, and I am worried about losing the conventional weekend if I'm in class every other day non-stop.

If you worry about having free time, you no need to take the Ethnic and Thai class, there are many other private school teaching that...you can easily find it later from the newspaper. Also, they are many chances for you to blend with locals.

it sounds like studying in thailand is a joke and it sounds like you are probably more interested in the girls and partying anyways so why dont you just take a year off or just lie to mom and dad or whatever and do what you really want to do.

I'm a girl who doesn't party very much. Good job though.

I got more courses approved so I'll likely be taking more economics classes if I can get into them, which solves most of the scheduling problems. Everything else is fine except the BE department is annoyingly scant on the details for their exchange students.