Elephants!

Spaniel

We will be driving up north and during the trip would like to visit one of the elephant camps, either the National Elephant Institue in Lampang or the Elephant Nature Foundation north of Chiang Mai. I have checked out their websites and both look pretty nice although I'm concerned how "touristy" they may be. Has anyone visited either of these places and if so which did you think was the better choice?

I took about 20 of my students on a field trip from Bangkok to the Elephant Nature Foundation last year, and I have to say that it was one of the more rewarding experiences of my life. The founder, Lek, is an inspiration for us all.

She has a 'banned' video that she showed us, outlining the torture and abuse that elephants go through prior to being in a 'show'. I can still hear the pain of an elephant being 'broken'.

As for touristy, I can't be sure, since we had the run of the place. However, they certainly know their stuff, and it's an experience I will never forget.

BFD!

We will be driving up north and during the trip would like to visit one of the elephant camps, either the National Elephant Institue in Lampang or the Elephant Nature Foundation north of Chiang Mai. I have checked out their websites and both look pretty nice although I'm concerned how "touristy" they may be. Has anyone visited either of these places and if so which did you think was the better choice?

"Pretty Nice" For who ? :o

Naka.

"Pretty Nice" For who ? :o

Naka.

I guess I shouldn't have used "pretty nice". I meant that both sites were very profesionally done and laid out. Since you appear to have a lot of free time check them out and you will see for yourself!