Public Holidays 2008

Hi guys.

I feel that my school is starting to take the p***ss now. We were told that we aren't workers, so we didn't get the 1st of May off. The message we got, then, on this supposed holiday, was that we also have to work on may the 5th. (Coronation Day) I am not at all happy about this, seeing as we have a contract where it is stipulated that we get public holidays off.

What do you guys think? Did you have the 1st of May off? Do you get the 5th of May off? Can they do this when we have a contract where public holidays are specifically mentioned as holidays?

I have a rant about Labour Day in the General Topics forum. I had to work at our school today (most teachers are on break as we don't have classes, but I am the head of English Studies). I was p*ssed off as well. Not that I had to work all that much, but because they said "you're not labour--you're administration." Well, I had never heard of such stuff. I get a salary, I work the same hours as everyone else. I did mention something to them about them not considering 'slaves' to be labour!!

All the Thai Teacher's were there today as well, I might add. And the sad thing about it is, there's nothing to do--they were practicing singing!!

I signed in and left for the day!

The do have a way of 'making up' things here. I've heard some really weird excuses for things like this.

OP: They can do anything you let them do, but it may take a lawyer to stop them. You have rights, but schools sometimes don't realise it.

Of course, if you're working without a work permit, you can't defend yourself without self-incriminating and being deported. Good luck.

Btw, you can find the list of holidays on the Forum Calendar.

I was informed at 4pm on Wednesday by the uni's administration that I was required to teach yesterday (1st May), I did not expect any students to attend, however about 50% of the usual number came. I was quite shocked, though their mid term exam is next week and they had questions for me regarding the exam.

My department's secretary has told me that I do get next Monday and Friday off. I was not too concerned about working yesterday as Thailand has many public holidays anyway (too many, I think).

The 1st was supposed to be my first day at my new school. I called before heading in & the guard told me that the school was closed for the holiday! :o Later, the head whatever-she's-called told me that we won't start until Tuesday. I guess that since Thursday and Monday are holidays they decided to take Friday off too.

Administrators are not laborers. Mayday is not a holiday in many countries, including Canada and the US. International schools not only have real calendars published well before the academic year begins, but they usually hold to that schedule all year - something the Thai schools are incapable of doing, if they even have a calendar (in my experience).

Read your contract to see precisely what it says, and then you may have to fight for your rights until school's out forever. :o

Administrators are not laborers. Mayday is not a holiday in many countries, including Canada and the US. International schools not only have real calendars published well before the academic year begins, but they usually hold to that schedule all year - something the Thai schools are incapable of doing, if they even have a calendar (in my experience).

Read your contract to see precisely what it says, and then you may have to fight for your rights until school's out forever. :o

Sorry if I gave the impression I was complaining about being at work today, I was only making a comment. I'm quite happy to be here now, as, otherwise, we'd have to lose a day's holiday somewhere else to keep withing the MoE rules.

G