Gotta Get Out Of Bkk

My g/f and I have a 5 day break at the end of this month, and are looking to have a domestic holiday. We're just stuck for ideas!! North would be good we feel, but what to do, where to stay?? We are on a budget of under 1000BHT a day for accomodation, so I thought I'd throw it to the forum, to see if anyone can tell me where to go!!

Things we are not into, temples, beaches or Disneyland!!

Would love to hear what is out there for us to check out

some national park not far from bangkok

- kueng krachai with an artificial mountain lake, just before cha am

- khao yai

- khao chamao, with 2 mountains and trails along the mountain streems, after rayong

- kanchanaburi, even by train

within the national park accommodation is more expensive than outside, but you don't have to pay a daily entry ticket

Take a Nakhon Chai Air bus to Khon Kaen. Rent a nice touring motorbike near Kosa Hotel. Head east for a wonderful circle trip through Isaan:

The route: Kohn Kaen - Kalasin - Sakhon Nakon - Nakhon Phanom - Mukdahan - Roi-et - Mahasarakham - Khon Kaen

On the way, stop often at little towns, for a snack, a simple Isaan meal, and talk to the folks. If you're into culture and people-interaction, you'll have a great time. Isaan folks are the friendliest and most hospitable in Thailand, in my opinion. Don't be surprised if you're invited for dinner at a local home!

Enjoy the mountain trip between Kalasin and Sakhon Nakon, which includes a drive by the King's Palace in said mountains. Stop at the forest market at the summit and peruse the products the resourceful locals can cull out of the forest.

At Nakhon Phanom stay in the only large hotel right on the Mehkhong River at the south end of town, and be treated to spectacular sunrises over the limestone mountains of Laos (spectacular limestone outcroppings). Each room has a nice river-view balcony with comfortable deck chairs to enjoy the scenery. Also, visit nearby Vietnamese village and the preserved home of Ho Chi Minh, Father of modern Vietnam. If you have the time (and the 1,500B visa fee per person), pop over to the Lao town on the other side (short ferry ride) for the morning or afternoon to make it an international trip.

Enjoy the trip down highway which parallels the Mehkhong River to Mukdahan. Go up the observation tower there which gives grand views of the Mehkhong, into Laos and surrounding national park. Good photos here. If you're into day hikes, continue through the National Park adjacent to Mukdahan area--plenty of vistas to hike to.

At Roi-et, catch the small but new and spectacular Aquarium which is a small version of the new (and expensive) one at Paragon in BKK. Find the nearby pizza place run by a Canadian for some authentic western pizza at a good price. Spend a lazy afternoon in the park on an island in the middle of the lake which is in the center of Roi-et. Take a paddle boat ride. Afterwards, find the 5-star hotel on the west edge of town and pay a small fee to enjoy their huge (and clean) swimming pool with towels and showers.

Continue on to Mahasarakham and enjoy a good meal at the downtown 4-star Taksila Hotel. If you arrive around noon, a great buffet for a reasonable price. Nine km. north of town (on the way to Khon Kaen on hiway 213) is a new but quite beautiful campus of a 35,000 student-body university. Nice place to look around (library, gymnasium). Lot of cool places to sit by ponds or shady walkways.

If you have the time, take a short side-trip (25 km) to Khosum Phisai "monkey park." The monkeys are a barrel of laughs (as long as you don't look them straight in the eye--a challenge to fight) and watch your lunch, valuables, and motorbike, as they like to make off with anything attached or not.

Back to Kohn Kaen, and head south by Nakon Chai Air (about 500B/person) to BKK. Six-hour trip. Safe, comfortable, serves a box lunch on board. If you get the 11:15 a.m. first class bus (600 baht/person) you get your own LCD screen with a choice of 8 recent movies in English audio or with English subtitles (bring your own MP3-jack-compatible earphones). The time flies by.

The good prices in Isaan will keep you within your budget and you'll probably have money left over for a welcome-back dinner at the Bayoke (I or II).

Edited by toptuan