Anything, Good Or Bad, To Say About The Tefl Program Thailandexperience.com

I am looking into different TEFL programs and this one came up that cost more than the other programs but offers a guarantee job placement, insurance, housing as well as much more. My mom always says, "If it sounds to good to be true it usually is", so I'm wondering if this program is to good to be true. Does anyone have an experience or has anyone heard anything about the thailandexperience.com. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

TEFL provider topics do not last long, and we do not practice naming and shaming bad TEFL programs here.

But as Loaded says, those of us who have been here for five or more years have never heard of the brand name.

Now, as to the general subject of programs which promise to provide you with a course, room and board, a job, and other hand-holding - adult students do not need that much help. Once you package that many benefits or items together, who knows the real worth of the entire package? Job placement does not need to be guaranteed. There are no guaranteed jobs here. Most course providers issue a long list of local schools where you can apply for work, and there are ads you can answer on the internet. Likewise, if you are located in a big Thai city (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket) there are endless housing opportunities, at all price levels.

My personal preference is for a TEFL course that provides a four-week course and job placement aid, without further guarantees.

Nah, never heard of this outfit.

Thank you for your quick replies and I appreciate your points of view. I'm not looking to bad mouth any companies, just trying to find out as much information as possible. I have signed up for the TEFL international program in September and I am really looking forward to spending some time in Thailand. I'm also not looking to have anyone hold my hand, but I have not completed my degree and judging from multiple forums I've seen it seems much more difficult, albeit not impossible, to find a job. At this point I am simply trying to look into my options. Thanks again.

Jordan

Thank you for your quick replies and I appreciate your points of view. I'm not looking to bad mouth any companies, just trying to find out as much information as possible. I have signed up for the TEFL international program in September and I am really looking forward to spending some time in Thailand. I'm also not looking to have anyone hold my hand, but I have not completed my degree and judging from multiple forums I've seen it seems much more difficult, albeit not impossible, to find a job. At this point I am simply trying to look into my options. Thanks again.

Jordan

It's not as difficult as you may think to find work without a degree. In Chiang Mai there are many teachers working this way, but it's unlikely that you'll obtain a work permit. Without a wp you are working 'illegally'. Most teachers in language schools, where you're paid hourly, do not have wps. Many have been working this way for years and never had a problem and nor will you. If you hear doom and gloom about the 'dangers' of working without a wp, ask for a SPECIFIC example of someone who had a problem. Lots of I heard that... You'll be fine. Make sure you get a 1-year non-immigrant B visa sponsor letter from your TEFL choice, otherwise you'll be juggling various types of visa and spending time and money running to the border every month.

Edited by Loaded

It's not as difficult as you may think to find work without a degree. In Chiang Mai there are many teachers working this way, but it's unlikely that you'll obtain a work permit. Without a wp you are working 'illegally'. Most teachers in language schools, where you're paid hourly, do not have wps. Many have been working this way for years and never had a problem and nor will you. If you hear doom and gloom about the 'dangers' of working without a wp, ask for a SPECIFIC example of someone who had a problem. Lots of I heard that... You'll be fine. Make sure you get a 1-year non-immigrant B visa sponsor letter from your TEFL choice, otherwise you'll be juggling various types of visa and spending time and money running to the border every month.
Loaded, you know how much I agree with what you say, but what do these poor souls without WP do after one year, with or without degrees? Do they go to Perth or Brisbane or Hull (or to Houston, as I did) for another one-year B visa? Can it be done for less than 50K per year, counting the visa runs every 84 days?

Loaded, you know how much I agree with what you say, but what do these poor souls without WP do after one year, with or without degrees? Do they go to Perth or Brisbane or Hull (or to Houston, as I did) for another one-year B visa? Can it be done for less than 50K per year, counting the visa runs every 84 days?

Most, but not all, return annually to their families for a few weeks - often during the quiet and ultra hot month of April. They then pick up a multi-entry non-imm B or O from a friendly consulate and return to the LoS set for at least another 15 months. There are others who obtain 3 Visa Exemption stamps giving 90 days, go to Laos and collect a 60-day tourist, which can be extended in country for 30 days, and then repeat the 6-month cycle. This 2nd option is a pain and isn't recommended for people considering long stay here, however, it could be suitable for people who want 6 months of language school or volunteer teaching as part of their travelling plans or because they are semi-retired and don't want the demands of full-time work.

PB - you, I and many of the regular posters here are old hands and being legal is important. However, a large percentage of teachers coming through Thailand do not stay longer than a year and many quite simply aren't too worried about a future here.

Thanks, Loaded. That is how I understood it. The longer term teachers without work permits survive by going home to visit family every year, regardless of the distance. I did that 2 or 3 times, which reduced my monthly average salary to less than 12,000 baht per month. And they thought they were paying me well! It costs them 2 to 2000 baht to go visit family.

Thanks, Loaded. That is how I understood it. The longer term teachers without work permits survive by going home to visit family every year, regardless of the distance. I did that 2 or 3 times, which reduced my monthly average salary to less than 12,000 baht per month. And they thought they were paying me well! It costs them 2 to 2000 baht to go visit family.

I know 2 teachers in their 20s whose parents pay for their airfare each year. Unfortunately, the older you become, the less likely mum and dad can help. I know another teacher in CM who has lived the last 8 years working in language schools without a work permit and going home each year. He knocks out over 40 teaching hours (privates and language schools) per week with most paid at over 300 baht/hour - 12,000 baht per week! I don't know how he does it, but he thrives on it.

Most, but not all, return annually to their families for a few weeks - often during the quiet and ultra hot month of April. They then pick up a multi-entry non-imm B or O from a friendly consulate and return to the LoS set for at least another 15 months. There are others who obtain 3 Visa Exemption stamps giving 90 days, go to Laos and collect a 60-day tourist, which can be extended in country for 30 days, and then repeat the 6-month cycle. This 2nd option is a pain and isn't recommended for people considering long stay here, however, it could be suitable for people who want 6 months of language school or volunteer teaching as part of their travelling plans or because they are semi-retired and don't want the demands of full-time work.

This is no way to live for anyone over the age of 25. I didn't figure out how stupid it was until I was 31.

Hi, I carry out some SEO work for The Thailand Experience.

They only market to people based in the UK, USA & Australia

and they don't accept applicants who are already based in

Thailand. That's why perhaps no one on the forum knows of

them.

A search on whois.com shows they were registered in June 2003.

Well thank you everyone for all of your input, it has been more than helpfull. I think I have some direction in the steps that I need to take and I'm pretty sure I'm at least on the right track. My plans are very tentative; I know that I want to live abroad and experience as much as I can for as long as I have it in me, i know the last thing that I want to do is step on any toes of anyone in the field to make a career . I have just found out that my brother is getting married next may and as the best man I will need to return to the states at some point next May. Is it possible to take time off, a week or so, or would it be wiser to try and find a 6 month contract and then return for an additional 6 month to year contract following the wedding? Once againk, thank you for the time

Jordan, boulderbased

They only market to people based in the UK, USA & Australia and they don't accept applicants who are already based in

Thailand.

That's pretty strange, why wouldn't they "accept an applicant already based in Thailand"?

Is my money worth less? Am I of less value?

That's why perhaps no one on the forum knows of them.

So . . . in FIVE years nary a one person who took their course has stayed here?

Just playing devil's advocate and I realize their former students may well not hang out on Thai Visa - but wouldn't someone have at least MET someone who took their TEFL Cert there?

In many Asian countries the TEFL organisations/schools who only accept applicants from outside the country do so because they want to take advantage of the ignorance of their applicants about conditions on the ground in order to exploit them by locking them into unfavourable contracts and situations; however, I'm sure that could never happen in Thailand. :o

In many Asian countries the TEFL organisations/schools who only accept applicants from outside the country do so because they want to take advantage of the ignorance of their applicants about conditions on the ground in order to exploit them by locking them into unfavourable contracts and situations; however, I'm sure that could never happen in Thailand. :o

Uhh . . . I was trying to NOT say that.