Registration Of A Vehicle In A Province You Dont Reside

I asked this question a year or two when I went to buy a car in CM.. Back then I was told I could either buy the car and put it in my name in CM, then bring it back to phuket and choose if I changed its province or not. Or I could bring the car to phuket and change name and get new plate / province papers at the same time.

As it happened there was all kinds of complexity over the car still being in credit and the buyer let me leave with just a cash deposit and the finance sent me books, so I ended up re-regging it in Phuket anyway.

Now I am looking at a bike I may want. Of course bikes tend to have more dodgy books and problems than cars so I have some extra concerns. Getting the bike into my name prior to handing over the money is more important a safeguard.

So if the bike is initially not in my name and not in my province, I can get a proof of address paper from Phuket, go to the 'other province' buy the bike and have it put in my name there, with a phuket address even when the bike is plated from another region ??

Once its in my name I can do the province switch later.. Thats not a big deal.. Its the getting it into my name part I want to ensure and the cross province hassle I need to understand exactly.

OK so that seems to confirm it.. tho not sure I fully follow that one liner.. And also have heard that BKK plates are special (maybe they can be retaxed in any province or resold in any province but provincial plates have to return to where they come from ??).

But what I understand from your post, you transferred ownership of bkk registered bike (bought on phuket may be irrelvant to the paperwork ??).. In BKK.. Using an upcountry provincial address ??

Would certainly seem like in BKK at least an out of province address is not an issue.

HI

I have bought 1 bike 1 car in Pattaya, the guy signed all the paperwork and i took it to Phuket, i know a very nice lady there do paperwork in Kata, she put the car on Phuket plate and the same with the bike, PM me if you want her number. She di it for a living.

I too have a 'friendly' rego place (not that knowing another one is a bad thing) and a lady in the actual DMV who I once took a box of cakes to and does all of my form signing for me with a smile (saves all that nasty queueing).. But none of that solves the basic problem.

If I buy the bike the seller wants the money.. If I pay in full in another province and bring it here (like I did with the car from CM which is easy) and then it turns out to have a pony book.. I am the one screwed over !!!

I need to have a solution that protects both me and the seller, so I need the bike put in my name BEFORE or at least the same time that I pay. Thats not possible (on phuket) unless the seller takes time out of his life to come here to sell it. Makes for a complex sale.

The main thing to remember is that although you can pay your yearly tax wherever you like, regardless of where the bike is registered, when the time comes to sell it, the transfer can only be done at the place where the vehicle is registered!

Yeah in this instance if I bought it I would then move the province to Phuket..

Its just a case of parting with cash and getting it in your name.. sooo many screwed up books and bad papers.

The main thing to remember is that although you can pay your yearly tax wherever you like, regardless of where the bike is registered, when the time comes to sell it, the transfer can only be done at the place where the vehicle is registered!

Thats not true, I bought a Chiang Mai registered car and did all the changing of registration and ownership from Bangkok without the seller being present.

That's correct. Change ownership and reg. from where ever to where you are without going to where it's currently reg. If you're really worried about a book being dodgy then go to issuing office and change to your name and just pay yearly tax with it being reg. in another province.

Thats not true, I bought a Chiang Mai registered car and did all the changing of registration and ownership from Bangkok without the seller being present.

Yes but doesnt that take lots longer ?? Like you have to move the province.. then make the ownership transfer.. takes a week or 10 days ??

That can sour a sale if the seller wants to buy and go. If its in province it takes 1 day to get the book updated.

Yes but doesnt that take lots longer ?? Like you have to move the province.. then make the ownership transfer.. takes a week or 10 days ??

That can sour a sale if the seller wants to buy and go. If its in province it takes 1 day to get the book updated.

My experience is that yes several years ago it was a no no, now due to computerisation of the system no probs - it does take longer but if you both attend the LTO it can be organised it's just that the new owner will not have any plates until the vehicle records(hard copy) are forwarded to the new area.

If you are in a province other than where you are normally (full time) domicled for a fee of 100 baht they can arrange an inhouse certification of your temporary address if you speak nicely. :o

It takes about 3 days, the seller does not have to be present so you can just get him to fill the forms when you buy the car. He wont have to do anything else after that.

If you want to do the ownership transfer in a province you are not resident in, you will need someone who lives in that province to add on to the registration book as a "user" NOT the owner. After that you can transfer the province of registration to your own, this method takes longer and will require you to travel to the province of the car registration. As I bought a Chiang Mai registered car in BKK, I really didn't want to have to drive it back to CM to do the transfer.

Edited by madjbs

I bought a bike in C-Mai with BKK reg plate. I paid for new C-Mai number plates and these duly arrived at Nong Hoi and I traded in the old ones and received the new ones which I fitted in the car-park! As the old Tabian Rot (Green Book) was full I also received a nice new one. As an earlier post mentioned, there are a few strnage things happen with bike log books, so I kept a photo copy of all docs related to the transaction. That was 3 years ago and re-licensing has been a breeze so far - service at the drive-in window.

Also in C-Mai I bought a truck from a seller in Lampang, but via an agent, who showed up with all the correcly signed documentation and a copy of the sellers ID. (The agent had been recommended by a Thai friend who used to work at the main dealer. ) All the DV office wanted to see was the correctly signed paperwork and ID. (It seems "trade-ins" here go out via agents known to the show-room, rather than out to auction houses. Anyone got any observations on that? ) Again, I paid for new plates and these duly arrived. The Blue Book shows the old reg number and owner and now the new reg number and my name. From my records the total cost of transfer and new plates seems to have beenThb3.090 a couple of years ago.

What's most important is that the engine number and chassis/frame numbers stay the same in the old and new records!