Where To Find Silver Bullion/ingots In Los?

Hi everyone.

I'm interested in purchasing some silver bars or bullion here in Thailand as an investment.

There are gold shops everywhere that carry investment grade "tongtang".

I'm looking for similar "ngerntang", but nobody seems to have it. I walked all throughout Bangrak, from Silom all the way down to Si Phraya along Charoen Krung, and everyone I asked simply said "Mai mee", with no helpful suggestions on where I could buy it.

Since people make silver jewlrey in Thailand, they must buy the .999 fine silver from somewhere. Does anyone know who sells the actual bullion in Thailand?

I'm looking for about 5 - 10 kg depending on price.

Thanks.

C.L.

I don't know what you are talking about with those thai words, but i sure do know that there are tons of gold shops here that trade in 1 kg bars which are .9999 purity. Some of them even display certificates that their own bars are accepted for delivery at the London Bullion Market. If you are going to invest a couple million baht in gold the 1 kg bars is how everyone does it. First of all, the bid ask is as small as you can get in Thailand, and the bars are accepted on the international markets. There are no restrictions on bringing gold in and out of the country too, see bot website, another great safety factor. Anyways, try http://www.ylgbullion.com/ They are very close to chong nonsi BTS station near your area. Good luck and if you need more help PM me.

Sorry, I read your post too fast and went off on the gold aspect. It is possible to buy silver bars at some places, like YLG Bullion and Greatest Gold, but because the silver market is so small here you will face a pretty big spread when buying and selling. Go to http://www.ylgbullion.com/product_silver.php They do list their gold price on the website but you will have to call them for a silver quote.

it was a post few month ago about someone looking for silver

reply was :he was able to buy some from silver wholesale shop near kowsan road, but the shop will NOT BUY back from him the bar/lingo ...

10kilo is around 300ounce at today price will be appro 5500$

Jaggards have mint perth certificat for silver, perhaps kito do that too

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm interested in purchasing some silver bars or bullion here in Thailand as an investment.

I'm looking for similar "ngerntang", but nobody seems to have it. I walked all throughout Bangrak, from Silom all the way down to Si Phraya along Charoen Krung, and everyone I asked simply said "Mai mee", with no helpful suggestions on where I could buy it.

"No helpful suggestions" sounds exactly right from shop keepers in that area.

Silver bullion is available here.

I've bought with no problem.

But it is a wholesale item -- for jewelry manufacturers -- so unikely you will find it in a retail shop.

Especially not a retail shop in a tourist area.

I bought from a jewelry company near Bangkok.

Minimum: one kilo.

Roughly 15,000 at today's prices.

Had it assayed: results showed proper purity.

So I intend to buy more when I'm able to do so.

Some vendors charge sales tax, if you don't have a proper business license.

Some vendors quietly do not.

I can't explain why some do, some don't.

Foreign bars from known refiners, I've never found here.

But I have seen bars marked with names of local refineries.

That's helpful in Thailand, but if you tried to sell outside of the Kingdom, would a Thai bar be trusted and accepted?

I doubt it.

Likewise, silver bullion coins are very rare here.

Silver coins I've found at coin shops are sold for numismatic value, not bullion value.

That means high mark-ups.

Nevertheless, I did find a stack of Maple Leafs recently and bought all of them.

That means silver bullion coins do exist here, and, hopefully, you can find more.

Bottom line for silver bullion:

Difficult to find in Thailand, but possible.

If you are interested in discussing, contact me by PM or email.

We can trade information about silver in Thailand, and learn from each others' experiences.

But, in my opinion, best to be cautious when discussing this topic in public forums.

Edited by Oneman

because the silver market is so small here you will face a pretty big spread when buying and selling.

From my personal observations in Bangkok in recent years, the spread has been tiny: 300-400 baht per kilo.

However, as the silver market becomes more volatile, yes, we can expect the spread to grow.

Why not just take a bullion account with someone like the Perth mint ?? Kitco etc offer these products and theres less theft risk and strorage hassles..

There is recent discussion about whether or not Perth Mint and Kitco really have the silver behind their paper certificates and pool accounts.

To learn more about this delicate matter, I suggest a Google search for "Perth Mint" AND Kitco AND "Jason Hommel"

Edited by Oneman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have any info (ie Thai Customs web site) regarding any restrictions on bringing Gold and Silver Bullion INTO T'land from overseas...???

I've been on the Thai Gov't web sites and can't find anything.........

I'm employed as a Pilot in the UAE and live in Phuket.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone have any info (ie Thai Customs web site) regarding any restrictions on bringing Gold and Silver Bullion INTO T'land from overseas...???

Thanks.

Hi, did you ever find anything out about the restrictions? I would like to invest in some silver but don't know how. Thanks. If anyone knows anything about investing in silver in Thailand please let me know,, email me at [email protected] Thanks

Thanks.

Canadian Maples and are legal tender, so no tax or duty can be applied to them. Not sure about others forms of bullion.

i wouldn't bet the ranch on that. thai customs are known to make their own rules.

A friend of mine recently bought 50 silver dollars from the weekend market on Theprasit road Jomtien. He found out by accident that a magnet would pick them up. I did see them and they looked very good. Be careful what you buy.

A friend of mine recently bought 50 silver dollars from the weekend market on Theprasit road Jomtien. He found out by accident that a magnet would pick them up. I did see them and they looked very good. Be careful what you buy.

= silver of highest purity :o

As I was looking at those "silver dollars" I immediately wondered why they didn't make them from copper before they silver plated them. I looked them over quite carefully and wondered (still wonder) how they made them. The workmanship is VERY good. Copper is much more easily worked than iron and they would have been impossible to detect as counterfeit by the average person. The powdered metal and sintering process allows nearly any metals to be alloyed and processed. The apparent density could also easily be identical to silver.

My friend is willing to make you a good deal on some "silver dollars". :o

Edited by Gary A

As I was looking at those "silver dollars" I immediately wondered why they didn't make them from copper before they silver plated them. I looked them over quite carefully and wondered (still wonder) how they made them. The workmanship is VERY good. Copper is much more easily worked than iron and they would have been impossible to detect as counterfeit by the average person. The powdered metal and sintering process allows nearly any metals to be alloyed and processed. The apparent density could also easily be identical to silver.

My friend is willing to make you a good deal on some "silver dollars". :o

anybody who held real silver coins in his hand should be able to tell the difference because of the weight difference although it is only ~30%. that your friend's fake coins can be picked up by a magnet does not necessarily mean they are 100% iron. i suspect an alloy was used (to add weight) which has some iron content.

p.s. iron cannot be silver plated without an additional metal coating. best way is to first copper plate and then silver plate.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone.

There are gold shops everywhere that carry investment grade "tongtang".

Since people make silver jewlrey in Thailand, they must buy the .999 fine silver from somewhere. Does anyone know who sells the actual bullion in Thailand?

I'm looking for about 5 - 10 kg depending on price.

Thanks.

C.L.

Hi,

The best place to buy silver in ingot form is at Bangkok Assay on Charoen Krueng Rd. The shops serves as the wholesaler to the jewellery shops and fabricators here in Thailand. They purchase silver in 15KG ingots upwards from Hong Kong and then melt the barS down into pellet form. Then sell the silver to the retailers.

You can buy in three forms: 15KG+ ingots, pellets, or 600-800 gramme bars, which have been fabricated from the pellet form. There is also a 7% govt. tax, so they will take your ID details for this transaction. There is both a buy and sell window and the system operates similarly to the gold merchant trading system in Yaowarat with a premium of around 2 dollars US an ounce. Remember there are 30oz in a Kilo. The larger amounts you purchase the better the deal. I usually get a group of friends together and we buy at the same time thereby bagging a good price.

Cheers,

M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
... in regards to silver. Me and my TG went down to customs and asked about getting silver maples sent over ... there would STILL be duty of 20% and then 7% VAT ontop of that!!

I recently asked the same question at Thai Customs in Chiangmai (near the airport).

Same answer, so we're getting consistent replies.

But what wasn't mentioned was any "samples" that might be taken for "verification" or something like that ... if you get my meaning.

I've decided not to try it.

That said, there seems to be some difference in ordering and having items shipped in, or bringing it in yourself in your hand luggage.

I have talked with one man who sometimes brings in silver coins.

He said, never any problem, but only in small quantities.

(What are "small quantities" I don't know.)

Just to see what would happen, I carried one silver coin in my carry-on bag, during a recent trip abroad.

All the airport scanners I went through, it was never questioned.

I wonder how many coins it would take before they triggered some inspection.

And would there be any inspection on arrival in Thailand?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

C.L.

Hi,

The best place to buy silver in ingot form is at Bangkok Assay on Charoen Krueng Rd. The shops serves as the wholesaler to the jewellery shops and fabricators here in Thailand. They purchase silver in 15KG ingots upwards from Hong Kong and then melt the barS down into pellet form. Then sell the silver to the retailers.

You can buy in three forms: 15KG+ ingots, pellets, or 600-800 gramme bars, which have been fabricated from the pellet form. There is also a 7% govt. tax, so they will take your ID details for this transaction. There is both a buy and sell window and the system operates similarly to the gold merchant trading system in Yaowarat with a premium of around 2 dollars US an ounce. Remember there are 30oz in a Kilo. The larger amounts you purchase the better the deal. I usually get a group of friends together and we buy at the same time thereby bagging a good price.

Cheers,

M

I'm not saying what you have written is not correct, but something doesn't sound right here.

1. They take a premium of 2 USD per oz? Well silver is currently around 13 USD per ounce, so that's a bid/sell spread of about 15.8% !!!!

2. You said they add 7% to the price. This I assume is the VAT tax, which I've never heard of any shop needing to take id from customers for VAT purposes. Technically bullion is free from VAT according to current law. Gold shops do not charge vat of gold bullion , so why would this shop.

3. If you're buying for investment purposes you're better of buying from their supplier in HK directly and before their high markups. Otherwise, if don't want to actually physically hold the bullion there's dozens of different ways to hold silver bullion through ETFs, deposited through mints, or through futures contracts. Which buy the way you could also take delivery on at a price that reflects current market prices without retail markups.

That's helpful in Thailand, but if you tried to sell outside of the Kingdom, would a Thai bar be trusted and accepted?

I doubt it.

Agreed, silver bullion is available, but what's with the Thailand bashing? All professional bullion dealers do their own assaying or fire test to confirm purity. You think that forgery of bullion and refinery stamps don't happen in other countries also?

• 1 month later...

"The best place to buy silver in ingot form is at Bangkok Assay on Charoen Krueng Rd."

"You can buy in three forms: 15KG+ ingots, pellets, or 600-800 gramme bars"

Questions............

Could not find the Bangkok Assay on Charoen Krueng Rd in BKK. Could some one direct me to an address or have a telephone number? When googleing "Bangkok Assay" there are some other names but nothing on this Rd.

Also is the term "pellets" what the Thais are calling "balls" of silver.

thx

Edited by threelegcowboy

• 8 months later...

Dear Time Traveller

I am wanting to follow through on this and thanks for your steer

Regards

C.L.

Hi,

Cheers,

Dear Oneman

Regarding ""I bought from a jewelry company near Bangkok. Minimum: one kilo."

Is there anyway I can contact you to learn more? I am interested to buy

Thanks and Regards

"No helpful suggestions" sounds exactly right from shop keepers in that area.

Silver bullion is available here.

I've bought with no problem.

But it is a wholesale item -- for jewelry manufacturers -- so unikely you will find it in a retail shop.

Especially not a retail shop in a tourist area.

I doubt it.

Likewise, silver bullion coins are very rare here.

Silver coins I've found at coin shops are sold for numismatic value, not bullion value.

That means high mark-ups.

Nevertheless, I did find a stack of Maple Leafs recently and bought all of them.

That means silver bullion coins do exist here, and, hopefully, you can find more.

Bottom line for silver bullion:

Difficult to find in Thailand, but possible.

If you are interested in discussing, contact me by PM or email.

We can trade information about silver in Thailand, and learn from each others' experiences.

But, in my opinion, best to be cautious when discussing this topic in public forums.

• 10 months later...