Coffee Beans

Gonzo the Face

Vibe, if you want to try grinding your own beans, you might want to buy a hand grinder. What you are looking for is something adjustable that will allow you to produce different degrees of fineness for different brewing methods. Don't use one of those cheap bladed chopper/grinders as they smash the beans into pieces of varying fineness. I think the shop called Hillkopf mentioned somewhere in this thread has some hand grinders.

Buying freshly roasted high quality beans and grinding yourself just prior to brewing will give most people the biggest improvement in taste for the lowest cost. A good burr grinder is very expensive but makes a huge difference in quality. But, you don't necessarily need an expensive grinder unless you're making espresso.

As far as storing coffee, the best way is to keep it in an air tight container in a dark cupboard. And, buy your beans in small quantities so you don't have to store them long.

Vibe, do yourself a favor and read about how to treat coffee. For the best results, you shouldn't buy beans more than two weeks from their roasting date and you want grind them immediately before brewing/pressing. And, NEVER put your beans in the freezer or refrigerator. A freezer is a very dry environment, and coffee naturally absorbs scents from other foods. Go have a read at coffeegeek.com to learn more.

To never put coffee in the freezer is an old wifes tale and only makes sense if you put your ground coffee on an open plate in the freezer :o

Wow, you must know something that the experts haven't figured out yet. Enjoy your coffee.

They may be experts in coffee but not in logical reasoning. If the bag is sealed it does not matter if you store it in 0% or 100% humidity, the humidity in the bag will remain as it is.

The difference is in the temperature, cold temperature will slow down the organic breakdown of the aromatic oils in the coffee and keep it fresh longer. Thats why we have a fridge or why do you store your food there :D

Anyway it's all academic as you should never buy more than consume in a week anyway but if you get a big batch of your favorite brand from back home I suggest to store it sealed and cold.

Anyway, Boncafe have some nice roasts and they are usually pretty fresh if you buy them at their own outlets.

If you do a google search on coffee, you can look at a variety of different websites and get a variety of different opinions from a variety of different experts with varying amounts of expertise.

Or you can read ThaiVisa.

The best coffee beans I have EVER bought in Thailand were from the big covered market in Chiang Mai. 1/2 K for either 200 or 250 baht, can't remember exactly. Excellent rich coffee taste.....also some of the best thai tea for brewing. The next best I've bought (which isn't even close really) has been fresh roasted beans from the Bon Cafe Distribution Center.

I would love to get more from the market in Chiang Mai, but I live in Sattahip.

Beach bunny

If you do a google search on coffee, you can look at a variety of different websites and get a variety of different opinions from a variety of different experts with varying amounts of expertise.

Or you can read ThaiVisa.

Coffee is a matter of personal taste. The only way to decide how you should store your coffee is to buy a bag, store half in the fridge half in room temperature, wait a month and then decide witch taste best to you.

Does anyone know where to buy green (not roasted) coffee beans in Bangkok or Pattaya, I would like to roast my own ?

CoffeeGeeks.com is no different than TV. Some people know what they're talking about, most don't, but everyone has an opinion.

if you do a quick search there, this is what comes up first:

www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/331350

Lots of methods of storing coffee including freezer storage.

So I guess that based on my opening paragraph, you shouldn't do it. But that's just my opinion and you know what I think of opinions on TV. But if you're going to argue about it you might as well post your arguments on CoffeeGeek too. Why limit your argument to TV when you can argue with 35,000 more people?

Where can I buy a french press, bodum, melior, or whatever you call it?

I've shopped Central and all the big box stores with no luck.

I found them at $tarbuck$ but my goal is to make coffee, not impressions.

Thanks, fiends.

Thanks, fiends.

Rimping supermarket next to the Ping river has plastic and metal presses near the coffee section

CB

Thanks, fiends.

You can get a decent one at Central or Robinson's housewares section for a fraction of what they charge at Starbucks or Rimping.

That's what I assumed, too. I was wrong.

Finally found them at Central (Fool that I am, I had been looking in the vicinity of the coffee makers, coffee grinders, etc) and they were priced about 40% higher than Starbucks.

Rimping had what I needed for a fraction of the price. I bought the last one off the shelf.

I like it. It makes a nice brew with less coffee.

Tops is selling 250g vacuum-packed tins of Illy coffee beans (not the pods, rather whole beans) for 300 baht, roughly half the normal price. I decided to try it, and am impressed with how freshly roasted they taste. Makes a nice, aromatic cup. Like an Amazon review says, the can is reusable.

Update: I went back today to buy another tin or two before Tops raised the price, and was too late. They're now 479 baht per 250g tin -- not nearly so good a deal.