Thai Non-immigration Visa Difficult?

Hi there,

I'm hoping to apply for a multiple entry non-immigration type 'O' visa in India for Thailand as I will be volunteering in Nong Khai for a total of 6 months and also in India prior to this. I am British and I have a letter of reccomendation from the organisation (travel-to-teach.org) requesting I be granted a multiple entry non-immigration type 'O' visa but from what I have been reading from this forum it seems like this maybe very difficult to obtain!?

Anyone have any experience of getting this visa outside of U.K. / their home country or in India or know if it's simple enough to obtain? Do I need any other supporting documentation? Help!

Thanks

Glyn

Edited by gmr85uk

I would say an 'O' is impossible unless you're married to a Thai, I got one in Delhi last year no problems (married).

You may be able to get a 'B' but the few reports I've seen regarding India (and the personal experience of a collegue) suggest that you'll be needing all the work permit stuff plus some other (undefined) bits and bobs :o

A Non Imm B visa would make more sense here, after all you are going to Work.

All work activities, even unpaid volunteers require a Work Permit and

the corresponding visa should be Non Imm B.

Working without a Work Permit you risk arrest and deportation.

Try to get a Non-ED, that covers normaly teacher activitys also, I heard.

And also I did hear/read, that ANY Non-Visa is good enough, to get get a WP, but is not every time accepted by the accountings/labour offices.

Cheers

So I say sorry, but I heard it from people (one is my neighbor), working now regulary as teacher with wp, but arrived with a Non-ED, that they got with the papers.

How is changing a non-ED at the immigration ?

How is the saying, ANY Non-x is ok, for a workpermit? (Not accepted at labour and accountings, ok, but by law?

How is the looking on someone, who is volunteering as a teacher, so probably doing it for free, and only for 6 month?

Teachers are very usefull for Thailand, and still a "newbie" to thailand has first to study, how the teaching will go here.

Is he having the certification (TEFL was it, or not?), or did he has to study, to get it?

Actually, its only my thinking, what I would try, if I had a "letter of reccomendation from the organisation (travel-to-teach.org)", ask for a Non-B, and, incase, they do not accept, ask for a ED.

And I guess, India is better, than KL, Penang, S-pore....!

But stop:

" I will be volunteering in Nong Khai for a total of 6 months and also in India prior to this"

Is he in India, already?

If not, get it in the UK, its valid one year, usefull 15 month, so 6 month India, 6 month thailand, no Problem.

If yes: Check it out, ask the embassy, what you can expect! If you need more in India, you will have the time to get it!