Fake/mafia/mystery Cops Still A Bother?

no need to beat a horse here - but i am very interested that:

posters on this board were stopped

they did/said something - and they vanished

that is interesting....

They vanished because the entire forum got sick and tired of two particular members who continuously posted these rumours as facts and when more knowledgeable members (including those with contacts in the Thai Government) corrrected them, completely ignored reality.

Rumours, I might add, that nervous newcomers incapable of dealing with minor hassles of life more than 20km away from their semi-detached in Walthamstow believed completely. Does that ring a bell?

I suspect they were banned for being completely boring.

As for you, my advice would be to stay at home. It's dangerous out here, fella.

• 1 year later...

Having seen the customs inspectors as described by colino in operation near the escalators on 2 separate occasions early and mid last year I’ve since passed through swampy international arrivals 7 times and not seen them since.

SERPICO, Thats what all newbies to the forum do, they search the archives and dig out really old topics & give birth to them again. Get serious. Your M.O. is very suspicious. :D

:)

Ohh brother, here we go again. Serpico, who are you really, which previously banned member?

:D

Edited by neverdie

SERPICO, Thats what all newbies to the forum do, they search the archives and dig out really old topics & give birth to them again. Get serious. Your M.O. is very suspicious. :D

Ohh brother, here we go again. Serpico, who are you really, which previously banned member?

:D

hahahaha neverdie.

I was just thinking something along those lines. He sounds very familiar in more than one sense

I'm not talking about the random scumbag shoving a massage parlor brochure in my face or some taxi trying to get me to an expensive seafood place or some other ripoff joint.

I'm concerned about the thousands of professional employed scammers(working with protection) posted around Bangkok near every tourist site, scammers in uniform at the International Airport...they are everywhere.

Like I said... A good example of what is happening is right at the Erawan Shrine.

There is an organized 'team' of scammers there right now.... Yes, the same people in the photos that I sent to the Tourist Police last June, still working full time, lieing to visitors. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

Why is it allowed to continue? Many speculate the Tourist Police are involved with the scamming. Imagine that.

I also have sen them at the Erawan Shrine they approach innocent people and pass them self off as managers of the shopping complex hapenned to me a few times recently.

Many people get scammed so It is nice to see that you are trying to advise people to look out your thread or something simmilar should be pinned any one who says these things are one offs are on another planet.

Edited by saintofsilence

As this thread has been resurrected I will report my experience from 3 days ago.

I passed through the green lane at customs into the landside arrivals hall. Halfway to the rope barrier behind which all awaiting greeters and meeters are standing I was stopped by an official. He had a plastic coated 'pass' around his neck and also a name badge on his right-side shirt pocket. He led me to a partition-walled office just beside the customs exits.

However before we even entered the office, a more senior-looking officer came out and questioned me whether I had any cigarettes. I started to open my hand luggage zipper to show him the contents and said no, that I had no cigarettes (which was true). After that they immediately lost interest and let me go on my way.

Therefore these are probably real officials.

They had no interest in my check-in luggage and were only after cigarettes.

They must have been having a quiet day as I did not have a duty-free bag showing.

My advice is to keep cool, look to check that they have ID tags and badges and stay polite,

...and don't bring in more than 200 cigs.

Not a scam in my opinion, just an opportunist shake-down for the unwary and dishonest.

TIT

"just an opportunist shake-down..."

There are several divisions of "cops", some direct traffic, some work in Immigration, some work in Customs, and some work in Excise. The cops that go through your luggage following Immigration are with Excise, looking for stupid tourists who try to sneak in with too many cigarettes or bottles of alcohol - nothing more or less. I had every piece of my luggage searched, and it's not a big deal - if you're following the law.

I think if I was stopped I would ask that their identities be verified.

If they are legit then they won't have any problems with that.

I'd have a problem with someone just dressed in a suit with a badge and a name tag asking about my luggage after I passed through the 'nothing to declare zone'.

Has anyone seen the UK show the 'Real Hustle on holiday' currently being aired?

Also (reading some of the above) is it possible to exit and return to the 'nothing to declare' area you just left?

Can people come and go like that?

Oh yes they are alive and well!

Had an encounter with them myself a few days ago but did exactly what you are suggesting and insisted on walking back into immigration hall.

They did not like this and needless to say waiting for us to re emerge.

Luckily (!) I had my elderly father with me and I told them he was in need of a Doctor and pushed past them but without that opportunity I am not sure we would have escaped from them.

The other annoying thing is the guys who wait for the passengers as they deboard the plane and pounce on them as they walk to immigration searching for those pax who are carrying what is clearly a bag of duty free.

Not a great welcome to Thailand - I saw many people giving up their duty free purchases to these guys.

If you must buy DF on route to BKK do what I do make sure you have a non identifible bag for hand luggage to put it in. Otherwise just ignore them and they wont follow you into the immigration hall!

Their beady eyes are scanning the poor unsuspecting arrivals for their duty free carrier bags! :)

Where do I start?

Who is THEY? Be specific. Are they customs inspectors? If so, what are you complaining about? They are there legitimately, and have every right to check people's bags for what is being brought in.

If they are scammers, as you seem to be implying, can you back it up? And even if they are (which I doubt) just walk past them.

<deleted>, grow a pair, people

Totally agree Bendix. I have been through the airports minimum twice a month for the past 10 years and never been stopped by the Customs or Police officers.

The only minor hassle is with the taxi touts, but this is manageable. No thank you!

Cheers, Rick

Also (reading some of the above) is it possible to exit and return to the 'nothing to declare' area you just left?

The area I was stopped at was in the roped-off zone in the Arrivals Hall, so yes anybody can enter.

Even in more 'civilised' countries there are officials waiting outside the customs exit doors to spot likely customs violaters who 'think they have got away with it'.

I think if I was stopped I would ask that their identities be verified.

If they are legit then they won't have any problems with that.

I'd have a problem with someone just dressed in a suit with a badge and a name tag asking about my luggage after I passed through the 'nothing to declare zone'.

Has anyone seen the UK show the 'Real Hustle on holiday' currently being aired?

I've noticed more and more of these bogus officials at Suvarnabhumi as I make my way to level 1 for the buses.

Speak a little Thai to the bogus officials and wave your mobile and say 'Tourist Police' and they run away every time.

These guys just try to pick on complete newbie arrivals into Bangkok who are disorientated, don't know where they are going and looking to change cash and who are generally sitting ducks.

I'm not talking about the random scumbag shoving a massage parlor brochure in my face or some taxi trying to get me to an expensive seafood place or some other ripoff joint.

I'm concerned about the thousands of professional employed scammers(working with protection) posted around Bangkok near every tourist site, scammers in uniform at the International Airport...they are everywhere.

Like I said... A good example of what is happening is right at the Erawan Shrine.

There is an organized 'team' of scammers there right now.... Yes, the same people in the photos that I sent to the Tourist Police last June, still working full time, lieing to visitors. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

Why is it allowed to continue? Many speculate the Tourist Police are involved with the scamming. Imagine that.

Nope....I have had enough of this clowns obsession. Now banned.

are the fake cops lurking outside the immigration exists still a bother? i dont smoke but will be carrying a bottle of whisky. no smokes.

i dont want any dodgy cop going thru my bag where they might drop something in and give me a hassle and extort money. is it acceptable to ask them to go back thru the entrnace and have my bag ripped up by customs there?? no matter even if you are totally clean the beggar cops will beg money off you becasue thats the way thai bureaucratic class is. hey, give us money for NOT putting a joint in your bag.

thanks

Too bad Thai Officials didn't heed this Thai Visa warning last year.

Now, a year later, the news is hitting newspapers worldwide.

Thai Officials extorting tourists.

Bad news for the people in the tourism industry.

Nope....I have had enough of this clowns obsession. Now banned.

Hopefully the good Dr will also have a look at serpico's obsessive posts.

Has PTG comeback to us with a new moniker?