Tailors ?

pepsi666

I have been approached by god knows how many tailors while over here, I know they got to make a living, so in the end I gave in and got a shirt made

I asked who and where these were made, I wasnt very happywith the reply.............

They are made somewhere in South Pattaya and they got very cagey when I asked if kids made them, they said they were very poor people and that they needed the money and work, I'm all for getting people work, but I couldnt find out hjow much these people who make these shirts and suits get in the way of wages

Does anyone know what the conditions these people work in ?

How old are the kids working there ?

WHERE are these factories ?

I think the garmet making district is the area around DAY NIGHT HOTEL (I or II?). I have driven that neighborhood a million times. I never seen anybody that was not working hard and of age to work. What they told you was spot on. Were they to defend a place they wanted you to stay away from. They want your business. They do not want to educate you about where to get the best deal at the source. They were trying to keep the subjest away from the location of the shops.

:o

I bought two shirts from a tailor in Pattaya and had a very unpleasant experience. They were dress shirts that were made with a black material with interesting patterns on them. I was told at the time of purchase that the shop guarantees its work. Here are my complaints.

1) They lied to me and told me that the black material that I chose was made of silk and cotton and made in Japan. The material was a thai polyester and cotton blend. I found one tailor in town that was honest about the materials. The rest of them band together and tell you this lie about the silk. Also, shirts that they sell as "Thai Silk" are 99% polyester and about 1% silk. You can tell because the material is rougher to the touch than silk. Also, the cheap polyester material feels very hot against your skin on a hot day. Cotton and silk are much more comfortable in the heat.

2) Even though they spent time taking numerous measurements and they agreed to make a loose fit, the 2 shirts I bought were made too small and were did not have any taper for the waist. The chest size was only about 1 inch greater than my chest circumference while it should of been 4 or 5 inches greater.

3) When I first brought the shirts back, they lied and told me the shirts would be larger after I washed them. This was a stall tactic to make tourists run out of time. I washed one shirt and of course it was the same size. When I took them back again, they then said the washed shirt was out of warrantee. I threatened to call the tourist police and file a report. They then agreed to replace the shirts.

4) When I returned 2 days later at the agreed time the shirts were not there. I had to wait one more day. Then they gave me back the original shirts. I proved this in their store by measuring them and seeing the original measurements. I also found the little colored string that the laundry mat left in the washed shirt. I would not leave the store until they agreed to remake the shirts for real. I had to talk to the owner on the phone and I told him about talking to the police if necessary. Also, other customers were getting uneasy about making purchases at this place when they saw the problem I had.

5) The day I was leaving town I got the shirts back. They only remade one of them and then told me that is what I agreed to since they could not replace a washed shirt. It was not worth my time anymore so I agree to take the one new shirt and the two shirts that were too small.

Most of the tailors in Pattaya make their living cheating and lying to tourists. Most of them are not Thai. They are usually from Myanmar, Pakistan or India. They try to get a big order from you at once and collect a big deposit before they even make the clothing. If you have a problem, they stall until you need to leave town. This deposit is 100% non-refundable even if they completely mess up the order.

Most of the tailors in Pattaya make their living cheating and lying to tourists. Most of them are not Thai. They are usually from Myanmar, Pakistan or India. They try to get a big order from you at once and collect a big deposit before they even make the clothing. If you have a problem, they stall until you need to leave town. This deposit is 100% non-refundable even if they completely mess up the order.

I would never buy anything from someone who bothers people for a living all day, every day.

Boycott the little creeps! :o

Jayman, name and shame the shop, then

I never paid a huge deposit, all I paid was 100bht, that was for 5 shirts, if I dont like them, I wont be paying for them,

why did you pay a huge deposit ?

If they want a big deposit, there must be a problem (its either that or they're worried you wont come back,)

I want to know about any child labour in the making of these siuts, trousers, shirts

If I find out that kids have been making them and they are under age (below 14) they can whistle or sue me for the rest of the money

3) When I first brought the shirts back, they lied and told me the shirts would be larger after I washed them.

:o:D:D

These conmen treat their customers like total idiots and the sad fact is they're right.

You can get better quality shirts at cheaper prices back home in Primark.

It was a tailor shop on Soi 10 just down the street from beach road. When I went back to Pattaya a couple of months later the shop had gone out of business.

I paid 250 baht each as deposit and the total cost was 600 baht each. They said that they had been ripped off before so they needed the deposit. Since you only deposited 100 baht, that seems fair.

I believe that the owner owns several shops in Pattaya, but I don't know which ones.

I agree that it is wrong to have small children working long hours in sweat shops. I hope you find out if this is the case.

Bought 5 hand made shirts for a price i was happy with from Robinsons

i have found if you are too aggressive with your bargaining, you leave the shop very little margin so they have to cut corners.

you end up with what you pay for!

You guys crack me up. There are no children making dress suits or any other cloths that require SKILLED CRAFTSMEN to do. Go by the area I described and see for yourself. You can get ripped off at these tailors and it is hit or miss. Your results may have more to do with what season it is and who he has to subcontract your order to.

I did make the mistake of giving an order to someone who could not handle the type of garments and gave too large a deposit. On the other hand I have gotten at times quality work at reasonable prices. I have used four different shops. Hit or miss.