Want To Close Land

we want to close the land of my parents girlfriend next to khon kaen. we have 15 rai to close . i d like to know what kind of wood i need to use... the price of the wood is very different .first we looked for 3 meter at 15 baht a piece it was looking good but it s eucalyptus so mother said it s not strong enough. i want 150 cm wood 1 meter outside and 50 cm in soil. now i heard about strong wood but 60 baht for 150 cm . i want to put one part of wood every 2 meter . for the barbed wire i found 28 meters for 180 baht. i need 1360 meter . we want to close the land to protect it of the cows who come to destroy everything. i try to found the best price possible. first i was thinking about 10000-15000 baht but now it looks more like 30000 baht. if somebody can help me . thank you in advance .

ps: sorry for my bad english

Hi

I had the same problem with some rice land we got in ubon and i just used any wood,but not eucaliptus becouse is to soft,maybe in 3-5 years you need to change same of the wood.

Just to stop the cow eating the rice you don't need 3 meter 1.5m. is ok.

White ants will eat your wooden posts.

Go for concrete posts.

They will be much stronger and they will last a lifetime (or more).

If they're are too expensive, then just use one concrete post between every 2 or 3 wooden posts.

Use extra big concrete posts on the corners, with angled reinforcements.

Stretch the wire real tight.

The wooden posts will hold the vertical wire spacing.

That way, even if the white ants eat the wood, the fence will remain more or less intact and can be easily repaired.

Go for concrete posts.

If they're are too expensive, then just use one concrete post between every 2 or 3 wooden posts.

That way, even if the white ants eat the wood, the fence will remain more or less intact and can be easily repaired.

I wonder when some enterprising person will introduce star pickets to Los?

Go for concrete posts.

Ozzy,,, An excellent question..I come from the US(Oklahoma) and all we ever use are steel posts for our barbed wire fence lines. So much easier..just drive them into the ground and clip on the wire...We do use big wooden posts for the corners...mainly old telephone poles...

George

Go for concrete posts.

Calling me ?

Stars picket, New Zealand and Autralian standard, 90 cm / 2.4 m ? available too ... :o

"Calling me ?

Stars picket, New Zealand and Autralian standard, 90 cm / 2.4 m ? available too ... :o

If you have please quote price and description..Also where are you located?"

We would be interested as well.

Sorry, my post is misleading, actually the picket are still in China !!! It was a follow up for a conversation from an other thread (Importing Fertilizer from China).

As I explained, I was a bit p*ssed off by the frequent increase on some products (in this case fertilizer) I need to buy on a regular basis. As my main activity is in China, I was toying with the idea of importing these products by myself . Buying is not a problem, I've 15 years experience of trading, export company in HK and support staff in China.

Now I have two main question : what to import, if it's just for a couple of bags of fertilizer, it doesn't really make sense. Then how to import. As for the time being it's not for commercial purpose, just contact some neighbours and bring what we need, do I really need a commercial entity or can I do it as an individual? As I'm still working full time in China, I can't afford to spend too much time on what is for the time being just a side project, but I would be very happpy if this project could succeed.

Sorry jeanno for polluting your post. We had the same problems with cows. We chose concrete post because the cows (or the keepers ?) rammed previous wood fences we put up to stop them. Then it makes more clear and definitive borders with the neighbours. As we say, good fences make good neighbours.

the cement posts they sell for fences are too thin. They break fairly easy. If you use them then put in the 4 inch cement posts every so often to keep the fence in place when the others break due to being "rammed" by whatever.

My family also used the metal posts in the USA and they are much easier to plant than cement posts but i wonder about the high humidity here.

the cement posts they sell for fences are too thin. They break fairly easy. If you use them then put in the 4 inch cement posts every so often to keep the fence in place when the others break due to being "rammed" by whatever.

My family also used the metal posts in the USA and they are much easier to plant than cement posts but i wonder about the high humidity here.

Good star pickets are made from a type of wrought iron (not steel) to make them more malleable ,

wrought iron is very rust resistant.

They could be fabricated here out of rolled bar into a T post, (star pickets are rolled Y section.) Got me thinking now, I will price bar tomorrow and price what I could make them for.

Found this description:

In cross-section they form a three-pointed star, about 10 cm in diameter. One end is pointed so the steel post can be more easily hammered into the ground, and the other end is flat to suit the hammer. Holes are pre-drilled along the length of the post to allow wires to be attached for fixing the barrier mesh or fence wire to the picket.

Star pickets (posts) are typically dipped in tar to prevent rust.

In Australia, we call these posts "star pickets". To hammer them into the ground use a star picket driver which is a section of steel pipe, closed at one end, which is put over the picket like a sleeve. This is far more convenient than swinging a hammer. You can purchase these ready-made, weighted and with handles, at any store selling rural supplies.

In the US, there is a similar post called a 'T' Post.

Standard Price: AUD$37.50 + GST ea. for a pack of 5 posts. (only 1350mm long ..)

Also:

• Star pickets - 1350mm, 1650mm, 1800mm, 2400mm - black or galvanised. Plastic also available
  • Picket driver
  • Picket extractor
  • Bar guards
  • Reflective sleeves

You can use a Kango hammer (demolition hammer) with an attachment that makes light work of hammering the star pickets into the

ground. A simple device is shown for removing star pickets (removing star pickets is very difficult otherwise)

post-18347-1210515873.jpg

post-18347-1210515972_thumb.jpg

post-18347-1210516019_thumb.jpg

post-18347-1210516049.jpg

So all we need now is some star pickets !!

post-18347-1210516197_thumb.jpg

Ours didn't break so easely. A few days after putting up the fence, the young son of our caretaker had a bad surprise. At one of the passage point there was a lot of blood and cow hair on and near the fence. Someone should have push them hard, hoping the new fence will suffer the same fate as the previous one. Fortunetaly (not for the cow) the fence was strong enough and I think we had to replace only one post.

Aussie made star pickets are available in Thailand. The price we paid for 2.4m was B170, which doesn't seem to bad considering the prices quoted above.

The guy selling them also has an imported pole driver which he may lend you or you can buy one that he's had made here. Anyone interested can PM me for details.

We've just put in 1.5m high ringlock fencing around 3.8 rai. Considering our non-existent experience the job came up nicely. For the strainer posts we used 'sow luck' concrete posts, these are the type normally rammed into the ground with a pile driver and are very strong. Diagonal posts were made from concrete posts joined with rebar to to the 'sow luck'.

There is plenty of info on the internet for DOI fencing. The most important part is the strainer posts.

Aussie made star pickets are available in Thailand. The price we paid for 2.4m was B170, which doesn't seem to bad considering the prices quoted above.

The guy selling them also has an imported pole driver which he may lend you or you can buy one that he's had made here. Anyone interested can PM me for details.

We've just put in 1.5m high ringlock fencing around 3.8 rai. Considering our non-existent experience the job came up nicely. For the strainer posts we used 'sow luck' concrete posts, these are the type normally rammed into the ground with a pile driver and are very strong. Diagonal posts were made from concrete posts joined with rebar to to the 'sow luck'.

There is plenty of info on the internet for DOI fencing. The most important part is the strainer posts.

Can you give us more info about this....address...website, etc

Stoneman

Can you give us more info about this....address...website, etc

Stoneman

I don't have the phone number with me, it's at home. There is no website, you can view the gear in their house near Chatachuk, but they will deliver to most areas.

That's a very good price IMO. I wish I'd known about them before installing weak concrete posts on around 7km here several years ago.

That's a very good price IMO. I wish I'd known about them before installing weak concrete posts on around 7km here several years ago.

In the end I opted for the concrete posts, the price of the pickets is OK, but theft is also a possibility. I imagine 7km of land would be difficult to watch.

In the end I opted for the concrete posts, the price of the pickets is OK, but theft is also a possibility. I imagine 7km of land would be difficult to watch.

I used concrete around my pond and surrounding trees to keep the buffalo out as it is very deep and to protect my trees. I was going to mention that any steel items will be stolen asap. One thing I have noticed is that unless you live on the land the locals will cut the barbed wire to gain access. I don't know if you have a pond but if you do they will want to fish it at night. Fortunately for me they only cut the bottom row of wire so live stock doesn't get in.

I used concrete around my pond and surrounding trees to keep the buffalo out as it is very deep and to protect my trees. I was going to mention that any steel items will be stolen asap. One thing I have noticed is that unless you live on the land the locals will cut the barbed wire to gain access. I don't know if you have a pond but if you do they will want to fish it at night. Fortunately for me they only cut the bottom row of wire so live stock doesn't get in.

I put a 4 strand barbed wire fence on one of our farms that fronts onto the main local highway...I also put in a barbed wire gate.. This gate entrance is in the middle of a curve in the road...We have a family that stays on the farm...One night about 2 in the morning, a drunk Thai on a motorcycle missed the curve and ran straight into our gate...It took 4 of them over 30 minutes to get him and his motorcycle out of my gate...But the gate was still in good shape, just straightened the wires the next morning and it was fine...Since then no one has run over my gate,,,

We have a very small pond, although it does have some 'Pla Chon'. There are now lots of baby fish, but the mother is gone. So looks like someone's caught her. Mind you we've only just bought the land, so maybe they came along before us?

The 1.5m ringlock fence is difficult to cut, you wouldn't get thru it with pliers, we had to use bolt cutters. I am concerned as I'd hate to have it cut, although I think it might be easier to climb over it (we don't any barb wire yet). There's a gate right near the pond, I may even leave this unlocked.

We've concreted our steel fencing into the ground, to stop dogs getting in/out and to prevent theft.