Building House In Krabi/ao Nang

eddiemonster

• 4 months later...

Top 15 stress busters - Keep cool, keep talking and keep it friendly

1) Do seek professional advice before buying land or building anything.

2) Do use a reputable architect and Engineering firm that understands your needs and know the INS and OUTS of building in Thailand. Try to be as specific as possible about your project. Help your architects to understand the look you are going for. Show them magazine pictures of similar projects.

3) Check references. A good contractor can make a huge difference, so it's important to check references. Blindly choosing a contractor is dangerous because some perform shoddy work, overcharge and miss deadlines. Ask friends and neighbors for recommendations.Do your research - a good professional will be happy to provide you with references.

4) Get the paperwork in order. Don’t start building before you have your building permit in hand.

5) Do use an independent construction management company that speaks your language to check the work of your builder.

6) Do not let your builder make any changes to the specs without your approval in writing especially if he keeps saying ”Mai pen Rai”.

7) Don't be too unique. Your uncommon tastes could work against you when it comes time to sell. Adding a tennis court in the backyard is great, but prepare to remove it if the next homeowner is a gardening aficionado.

8) Don't expect a return on every change. Be wary of fads such as rock gardens, ponds and waterfalls. "That's done for your pleasure, not resale value,".

Get involved but keep your cool when dealing with problems during construction.

9) Do make a proper Bill of Quantity (BOQ) before looking for a builder. You will know how much your project should cost.

10) Do not hire a builder that quotes your project below the BOQ.

11) Do draw up a written contract with your contractor, with an agreed timetable that both you and the builder are happy with. A contract is a 100% necessity on every job to prevent misunderstandings. You can always go back to a detailed contract and make sure the builder is in no doubts about what he agreed to!"

12) Don’t cut corner. You will end up spending more if you have to build it again.

13) Be practical. Some things works in Thailand some other don’t.

14) A professional builder should explain things clearly to ensure that there are no nasty surprises! If you're unhappy about the work, talk to your builder immediately. Most things can be amended before they are finished.

15) Do keep tabs on how the job is going, if it's complicated; arrange a regular half-hour with your builder on agreed days.

• 1 month later...
2) Do use a reputable architect and Engineering firm

My conclusions after the best part of 6 months are:

There seems to be lots of dodgy people passing themselves off as professionals in Ao Nang and Krabi

Only mr_lob has someone positive to suggest. Unfortunately my land purchase fell through so its back to square 1.

Never found the: "reputable architect and Engineering firm" despite checking out everyone in Ao Nang and Krabi.

Have heard similar stories from Pattaya to Phuket, especially involving farangs. Maybe thay just don't exist. Maybe Krabi needs another 10 years. Maybe its the wrong time to be investing here anyway: credit crunch, global financial meltdown, political turmoil. Maybe just stick to the holidays, who needs the hassle?

2) Do use a reputable architect and Engineering firm

My conclusions after the best part of 6 months are:

There seems to be lots of dodgy people passing themselves off as professionals in Ao Nang and Krabi

Only mr_lob has someone positive to suggest. Unfortunately my land purchase fell through so its back to square 1.

Never found the: "reputable architect and Engineering firm" despite checking out everyone in Ao Nang and Krabi.

Have heard similar stories from Pattaya to Phuket, especially involving farangs. Maybe thay just don't exist. Maybe Krabi needs another 10 years. Maybe its the wrong time to be investing here anyway: credit crunch, global financial meltdown, political turmoil. Maybe just stick to the holidays, who needs the hassle?

i think maybe you just answered your own question...

Nirvana

• 3 months later...

H. Maybe its the wrong time to be investing here anyway: credit crunch, global financial meltdown, political turmoil. Maybe just stick to the holidays, who needs the hassle?

.... as the old saying goes.."never invest more than you are willing to loose"...in Thailand

Why be in a rush to throw your money away..... RENTing is the way to go, because when your neighbor decides to make a career change and start up a brick making operation you will be glad to be able to pick up and move. :o

.... as the old saying goes.."never invest more than you are willing to loose"...in Thailand

Thats very good advice for anyone, doesn't just apply to Thailand though :o

The old renting or buying argument always comes down to personal situations.

Anyone, got good recent experience on any construction in Krabi?

From what i can gather through talking to many people who have built, the key is a good project manager.

The builders in thailand can do a good job....... IF..... they are watched 24hrs a day.

When i say project manager, i mean someone who will be on site and can talk with the workers, not just in their own language,but in the correct way. If you piss them off, they just leave the site.