Ao Nang

nicholasmerwood

It was Chiang Mai, then Phuket, then Krabi...and now Ao Nang. I'm looking for a place that has beautiful beaches, fewer tourists (than Phukets main areas), cheap rentals (less than 10,000THB/month for a decent place), and moderate nightlife (pubs and a couple of small clubs). Gotta find a place in Thailand to stay for 5 months, from October 08 till March 09....wanna relax a lot but not get bored while doing it. My idea was Nai Harn/Rawai/Kata Noi in Phuket...but all are too expensive.. Is Ao Nang the perfect place for me?

It was Chiang Mai, then Phuket, then Krabi...and now Ao Nang. I'm looking for a place that has beautiful beaches, fewer tourists (than Phukets main areas), cheap rentals (less than 10,000THB/month for a decent place), and moderate nightlife (pubs and a couple of small clubs). Gotta find a place in Thailand to stay for 5 months, from October 08 till March 09....wanna relax a lot but not get bored while doing it. My idea was Nai Harn/Rawai/Kata Noi in Phuket...but all are too expensive.. Is Ao Nang the perfect place for me?

you can certainly find somewhere for under 10k/month, just depends what you call decent - Leela Valley and Chollada Gardens have large rooms with tv, air con,maybe small kitchen and bathroom for under 10k and they are within walking distance of the centre of Ao Nang. Moderate would be the best way to describe the nightlife - Luna Bar and Ibark are about the limit of clubs, couple of irish bars and a few others but it definitely aint Patong!

You might take a look at Koh Lanta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could go and have a look at Khao Lak. It might be exactly what you are looking for. Lots of beautiful beaches, definitely less tourists then Patong, and yes there is moderate nightlife.......we have pubs, and I'm not sure what you mean by "small clubs", but there are drinking places anyway.

As far as accomodation is concerned, since you are staying 5 months it might be worth considering renting an unfurnished house, and buying some basic furniture yourself, that you might be able to sell when you leave. Would work out a lot cheaper than staying in a hotel or bungalow resort for 5 months.