The Deadly Snakehead Fish

Ijustwannateach

Environmental authorities in the states are beginning to get a bit paranoid about this well-known (and well-cooked!) Asian fish. I have to admit, when I first saw one here in Thailand fried up in salt I was a bit leery of its appearance- but the taste is so wonderful! Apparently, it can walk on land for up to 3 days on its fins to get to other sources of water/food! There are a number of articles and warnings on North American websites now about this fish. Here's a sample [am unsure if posting this url is breaking a rule? Mod feel free to edit if so!]

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishi.../snakehead.html

"Steven"

I am not sure which one are you talking about. The 'Pla Chon' or the 'Pla Dook' (Cat fish). They both are popular national Thai fish and look very similar. I am still not sure what the Maryland authority worry about? I know they talked about the ecosystem but still it not very clear what damage can they do? :o

I don't know much about snakeheads. But I remember one fella telling me they are now quite common in South East United States after being introduced. Not sure if the same species, as I imagine there are sub-species throughout Asia.

Oh well, any introduced/feral fish can be a menace to an eco-system. Nile Perch, European carp and even Trout .

Actually, to my knowledge (and I live in the swamp lands of SE USA) the snake head is not here. We do have a fish that is considered a "Trash Fish." It is called a Grennel (sp). It looks a lot like the snake head, but it isn't the snake head. The Grennel is also known to be extremely tough, and it gets to be a pretty big fish, and yes, just as ugly as the snake head.

A Thai told me a story about that fish. He was a cook in the army and he threw a bunch of them in boiling hot water or frying oil and they all jumped out. He was also saying they like to feed on dead bodies or carcasses they find while out of water. puke.gif

The US has a problem with chinese carp right now, some fish farmer bought them for some reason and some got out and started eating every fish it could find. They are so active in the water that if you drive past them in a boat they will actually jump in!!!! :o

You lot gossiping about me? Tsk! Tsk! The minute one's back is turned and they're carping on with a load of misinformation about us snakeheads. FYI, we're mean, lean, predators with rows of needle-sharp teeth, found throughout SE Asia and points further. And thanks to careless aquarium owners, have escaped into the wild in several warm countries, US included. So lock up your minnows and small fry Southern yankie-doodle dandies, if you know what's good for yer. Stay at home and don't go down to the hole for a swim today, cos there's dangerous critters in them bayous that make 'gators and snappers look like poodles and like nothing more than eating Republican's for breakfast (but spit out the red-necks as unpalatable). :o Yes, alien plachon have arrived with a vengeance, so get your pinkies out the swamp, while they're still attached to your fingers. In fact, Supersize Me! and I'll carry oot your whole arm!

Mind you we know when to leave well alone, so rarely touch Democrats and never bother Nader voters. i.e. we have good taste and taste good! Your plaice or mine? :D