Night Venues Threaten Indefinite Closure

fatter than harry

Night venues threaten indefinite closure

PHUKET CITY: Entertainment venues throughout Phuket are set to close their doors for an indefinite period on October 26 in protest against the Government’s new early-closing policy.

Sompetch Moosophon of Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA) told the Gazette that PEBA members had decided to take the drastic decision to close their businesses at a meeting on Saturday at the Metropole Hotel.

According to the new laws, businesses within entertainment zones must close at 1pm, and businesses outside them at midnight.

Business people in Patong have been particularly vociferous in their pleas to be exempted from the regulations, arguing that the tourists who comprise the bulk of their business hardly venture out before midnight, and that they have each lost hundreds of thousands of baht in revenue since the order was enforced.

“About 50 business people att ended the meeting,” said K. Sompetch, “and we decided we had to do something to let the authorities know we are in trouble.

“The Governor should realize that we are also citizens under his control, and that he should pay as much attention to us as he does to other people. We’re in serious difficulties right now; why doesn’t he look at this?”

K. Sompetch said he was loath to take drastic action, but he believed the association members had no choice but to close their establishments.

He said, “This high season, Phuket is going to lose the opportunity to earn more money; this policy will look ridiculous to many tourists in Patong.”

K. Sompetch denied that establishments in Patong had many under-age patrons – one of the government’s reasons for the new early-closing laws – and said that he is confident there are no drugs or sex shows in Patong. If there were, he asked, why didn’t the police simply close down the establishme nts concerned? “That would be much easier.”

K. Sompetch said the association would ask Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura to extend opening hours to 2 am, or even 3 am or 4 am. The 1 am closing policy was, he said, just an attempt by the government to make it look like it was doing something.

He added, “There were people who wanted a ‘mob’ protest, but I hope we can find a solution through discussion. We’ve passed all our information to the Governor; he has enough of that now. Everything is up to him now.”

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

18:45 local time (GMT +7)

No worries mates.

I just scooted off Phuket and the girlies all say that it will be protest by day and freelace by night. Its already started. When the bars shut the streets are full.

Looking for a cold beer and hot girl go for the 7-11 on Second Road or over on Soi Sea Pearl. The place is jumping. Are the bars gaining action a little early, a bit but as before not alot of action untill 10pm. The girlies are even more eager to run up with a new mate. All in all the over hungry purveyers of not always cold beer and weak drinks are hurting but the girlies were hot as ever!

Looking forward to the action.....Bar closures. Not at the hotel bars many say. I see a short reversal by the Swill Stand Owner Association as the girls will go ahead. If there is a power group it will be the liquor vendors in Thailand. I expect they'll make the difference!

Does anyone have any news about the so-called indefinite strike starting 26th ?

Every one's heard about it but there are no details.

If anyone is so moronic to think closing bars will stops prostitution and drugs, smarter people will know that well-regulated bars are the way to go.

Night venues set for mass protest

PHUKET: Less than one week before the official start of the high season for tourism on November 1, nighttime entertainment venue operators appear set to move forward with their planned work stoppage to protest the government’s early closing times.

More than 200 bar owners, staff and others affected by the new regulations gathered at the Crocodile Pub on Soi Bangla last night to prepare for the shut-down, which has been widely publicized through leaflets produced and distributed by the the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA).

Organizers said a peaceful, alcohol-free rally will start at 2 pm tomorrow with protesters converging on three different locations: the public football field on Thaweewong Rd in Patong; Karon Circle and Phuket Provincial Hall.

In a flyer urging all operators and staff of night venues to attend the protest in Patong, the organizers stated, “ The continued 1 am closing policy threatens to destroy Patong’s tourism industry and put thousands of people out of work.

“It was disclosed to the press that the government wants to close bars and entertainment in Patong so ‘the ladies’ will return to their provinces in the North.

“We have been accused of ‘Human Trafficking’ for prostitution and as the cause of youth drugs and underage drinking.

“We believe the policy is having the opposite effect of the intended purpose.”

Sompetch Moosophon, President of the PEBA, said that, starting October 26, all entertainment venues would close down “in a show of support and strength in opposition to the damaging effects of the government’s 1 am closing policy.”

In fact, only venues located inside the night entertainment zone are allowed to stay open until 1 am. Those outside are required to close even earlier, at midnight, though t his regulation has not been strictly enforced in most parts of Phuket.

“We have yet to decide how long we will close for, but it will begin on October 26. After that, we will wait and see if we will receive the time we want [3 am] before the start of the high season,” he said.

Many tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi drivers and owners of beauty salons, massage parlors, restaurants, cafés and even some hotels are expected to cease operations indefinitely in a show of solidarity, he added.

Chairat Sukbal, owner of the Safari Pub and Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality, said that Patong Municipality supports the protest because the bulk of the municipality’s in come is in the form of taxes derived from the entertainment industry.

He said the demonstrators would be allowed to use the football field to set up a stage and the municipality would provide portable toilets.

A representa tive from Kata-Karon district said that up to 700 people would join a simultaneous protest at Karon Circle tomorrow.

She said the demonstration would also be non-violent and alcohol-free, and would include speeches and stage performances. She added that the recent downturn in business in the Kata-Karon area had been so severe that the protesters were prepared to close down for five or even 10 days, if necessary.

PEBA member Chaiya Tamchoo said Phuket Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura should use his CEO powers to allow entertainment venues to stay open until 4 am – in keeping with the Government’s stated desire to develop Phuket into an “international city”.

Failure to take such action would render the Governor no more effective than his predecessors who did not enjoy expanded CEO powers, he said.

On September 30, Gov Udomsak submitted a letter to the Interior Ministry asking them to consider al lowing entertainment venues in Phuket to close at 2 or 3 am.

However, he also told the Gazette recently that the earlier closing times might help reduce the number of women moving to Phuket from other parts of Thailand to work in the “service industry”.

While saying it is their rights to protest in this way, the Governor questioned what benefits – if any – the protesters would derive from the shut-down.

The protesters say they want to show the government just how much revenue Phuket stands to lose in the long term because of the earlier closing times.

At the meeting, the PEBA presented a letter from the Phuket Tourist Association (PTA) presenting data that showed that 20% of the 50,000 tourists a day who visit Phuket during the high season go to nightspots, spending between 3.5 to 4 million baht every hour.

The earlier closing times will result in an annual loss in revenue of 25 billion baht, according to the PTA data.

This information was included in the letter submitted by Gov Udomsak to the Interior Ministry, K. Sompetch told the Gazette.

To see picture/s related to this story, please go to http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...isplay=1Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

16:44 local time (GMT +7)

Its true... its happening right now.

I have some friends in the bar trade, so i've been getting all the "on-the-ground" intel. The way i've been told is... Bar owners are closing for 3 days, and pushing to get the govt to allow them to stay open until 3am (i guess its a compromise thing, they would settle for 2am i guess) if the govt doesnt agree by the end of the 3 days, then the protest will be extended by 2 days... if the govt dont agree by the end of that, the protest gets extended by another 2 days... this will continue until the bar owners get their way.

Theres a strong feeling of unity behind this, a lot of the people ive spoken to are in agreement, all the bar owners i've spoken to (farang and thai) are all ready and willing to go the distance. Of course your going to get the ones who wont back the protest (scabs) but i think the majority will.

This is what i am hearing, it might all fall apart after a day or so and everywhere will reopen, but the word "on the street" right now is a lot of people are behind this movement.

I'm going to take a drive around tonight and see whos open and who isnt. I'll post up something tomorrow.

The government should just go in and close and condemn all of the girly bars. A very simple solution. Get the wrecking ball out, smash up all of the pimp's venues, reclaim the land and actually start monitoring the issuing of legit business licenses. If they want the girly bars gone, there's only one route.

Or, legalise prostitution and regulate and tax the ###### out of it.

In the meantime, keep the bars open 24/7 and let the savages roam freely.

Update:

PM to review 1 am closing – Gov

PHUKET: Following mass protests in Patong and Phuket City today, Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura has informed representatives of the entertainment industry in Phuket that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will discuss closing times with the Cabinet next Tuesday (November 2).

Packdee Ritthisaman, Phuket City Entertainment Association told the Gazette that the Governor informed him that the Cabinet will discuss a proposal to declare Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui “tourism cities”, exempting them from the early closing regulations.

These regulations require venues in entertainment zones to close no later than 1 am, and those outside zones to close at midnight.

The announcement came after some 3,000 operators and staff of entertainment venues threatened to occupy the grounds of the Provincial Hall, day and night, until they got a satisfactory answer.

After receiving the news of the Cabinet meeting, K. Packdee said the blockade of Provincial Hall would end at 7 pm.

In Patong, however, the entertainment industry took a more cynical view. The Chairman of the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA), Sompetch Moosophon, said he wanted the governor to allow venues to stay open late until the Cabinet gives its answer.

“I’m afraid it will be the same thing again – that nothing will change after the Cabinet meeting, so the Governor should let us open longer until next Tuesday,” he said.

Failing that, however, 600 entertainment venues in Patong will close for three days and a sit-in at the football ground on Thaweewong Rd will continue, he said. “We will stay here for as long as we want.”

Some 4,000 people joined the sit-in after the PEBA decided that all 400 bars, plus 200 beauty salons and massage parlors, will remain closed for at least three days.

No decision was made on what will happen after the three days, but Patong’s annual carnival is looming, and the possibility of carnival parades through streets of shuttered bars is not out of the question.

Staff and operators of nighttime venues in Kata and Karon, where 100 bars will also close in protest, joined the sit-in in Patong.

While K. Packdee in Phuket City said that venues in the island’s capital were lobbying to stay open until 2 am, the Patong industry has been pushing for venues to be allowed to stay open as late as 4 am.

Before the Governor’s announcement about the Cabinet meeting, K. Packdee told the Gazette, “We will not survive with a closing time of 1 am. I believe tourists will go to other places or even to other countries.”

He argued that illegal drugs and underage drinking – the stated targets of the early closing order – were not common problems in Phuket. “There are many venues who stay clean and are aware of what the government wants.

“As for prostitution, I don’t think the early closing will change this.”

-- Phuket Gazette 2004-10-26

the Cabinet will discuss a proposal to declare Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui “tourism cities”, exempting them from the early closing regulations.

Bangkok is no longer a tourism city by the look of it then :o I wonder what the locals who are effected here will have to say about this :D

...He argued that illegal drugs and underage drinking – the stated targets of the early closing order – were not common problems in Phuket. “There are many venues who stay clean and are aware of what the government wants.

“As for prostitution, I don’t think the early closing will change this.”

I hope the protest is still on tomorrow - I'm going to join in the fun! :o

What is the real issue here?

Underaged drinkers?

Prostitutes?

Drug abuses?

'Unwanted' trashy tourists?

Saving power?

They change their goal posts every time...

Regardless of issue, early closing will not change any of these, on the contrary, driving all those problems underground will only make the problem worse.

Regardless of issue, early closing will not change any of these, on the contrary, driving all those problems underground will only make the problem worse.

You know it, we all know it but how to make 'them' understand it?

the Cabinet will discuss a proposal to declare Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui “tourism cities”, exempting them from the early closing regulations.

Bangkok is no longer a tourism city by the look of it then :o I wonder what the locals who are effected here will have to say about this :D

Guess Chiang Mai isn't a tourist city either ...

What is the real issue here?

Underaged drinkers?

Prostitutes?

Drug abuses?

'Unwanted' trashy tourists?

Saving power?

They change their goal posts every time...

<<< What is their agenda? Seems plain enough. To legislate morality.>>>

I had the same thought as SriRacha John. In case the "mob protest" goes forward - don't let them load you into military trucks; can prove harmful to your health.

Cabinet will discuss a proposal to declare Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui “tourism cities”, exempting them from the early closing regulations.

About time too. These are tourist hot spots and the government needs to get with the times before people start going elsewhere.

Some of the bars/discos could be so much better if they were not forced to close at such pathetic times... and im talking about the previous 2am closing times.

Roll on next Tuesday...

The government should just go in and close and condemn all of the girly bars.  A very simple solution.  Get the wrecking ball out, smash up all of the pimp's venues, reclaim the land and actually start monitoring the issuing of legit business licenses.  If they want the girly bars gone, there's only one route.

no wrecking balls please

If the authorities exercised proper governance of these places for adults, without taking '

kick backs' then both children, parents and those out for a good time could live happily together.

As it is, I expect that a big 'show' will happen for the next few weeks, and by the New Year celebrations 'normal service' will be resumed.

Good luck to those of you joining in the protest. Watch out for men in military uniforms, and scarper quickly!

Laulen

Time flies when you're having fun!

My Webpage

So I have a questions that maybe someone can answer ... if those guys out there in Phuket can start a rally and a concentrated protest, then why don't these Bankokians do this? I have to assume that the local bars and such here must be losing a lot of money right now, as well as taxi drivers, etc. Well, actually, I don't assume ... I have asked many taxi drivers, bar owners, workers, etc, and the opinion has been unanimous. 1:00 AM is bad for business.

Oops, sorry, correction ... it has significantly improved business for the street side "bars" late at night, as well as for the underage (looking?) prostitutes roaming around the Sukhumvit area. Hmph, good thing the cops are checking the IDs of those little girls roaming around at 4:00 AM ... oh, wait, I have never seen an ID check going on there ...

But seriously, why has something like this not happened here? Is the heavy hand of the government so strong here? Is there a large section of the population here in favor of the new closing times? Or should they be taking down the Democracy Monument? Not trying to be rude, just very, very curious.