Which Island End Of Aug Start Of Sept?

Hi All

We have been looking on the internet for ideas of where to go for ages when we come back over to thailand in August, I have been on the internet for weeks and am a bit overwhelmed and unsure which to pick!!

Sooo... we are going to drop our cases off at a family members in Patong (we fly in from bkk on 23rd aug and are flying straight down), stay for a few days, then pack our smaller bags :o and want to head off to an island for about 5 days ( maybe 29 sept till 5 aug) we have to be back to patong by the 7th to dog sit while our family do their visa run.

we already spent 3 weeks in chain mai last year and didnt get to see any of thailands coast so want to make the most of this visit but need some tips.

I know it may rain - but hey i live in england!! so that doesnt bother me but it would ne nice not to have to wear my jumper :D

we dont want anywhere thats too 'touristy' and want to spend on hotel / accomodation about 250 GBP Max

Ive had a busy year so far so want to lie back watch the sea , sunbathe and take in the sights. I would also like to explore the place, meals and a few drinks at night time.

the accomodation doest have to be amazing, a clean room, own bathroom is all i need.

soo any ideas, islands? hotel info? how to get there from patong would be highly appreciated, and if your in the area let us know ill buy you a thank you drink !!

thanks guys..and girls

From Patong, Koh Phi Phi is easily accessible. Any travel operator in Patong will sort you out with a pick up and return boat ticket to the Island. Phi Phi's Ton Sai Bay area can get very crowded but there are many other beaches away from the crowds to choose from. Laem Tong beach or Loh Bagao Bay would probably suit your needs. http://www.kohphiphihotels.com/ might be worth a look for accommodation ideas.

Another Island slightly further away from Phuket is Koh Lanta, I've never been so I can't comment on that one but I do know that it is also easy to arrange travel to from Patong.

Edited by thecatman

I know it's not an island, but I like Ao Nang in Krabi. However, I think you'll probably find the weather snd sea conditions better in Koh Samui at that time of year. Chawaeng Beach is touristy but Lamai is much less built up and the beach is nearly as nice...............My favourite is Bophut village ;coz it's a bit small, sleepy and laid-back but the beach isn't as good.

Lanta is very, very quiet, especially in low season. I stayed one night and headed straight back. Not into places where you have to find a taxi to take you to the only open bar within many miles. Only go if you want isolation.

You could do as suggested: ferry to phi phi for a couple of days, then ferry to Ao Nang. From Ao Nang, you can take day trips to Railay's beaches on longtail boats for very little money. They are superb IMO. There are a number of high end resorts on West Railay itself, which is another option. They may well be in your budget at that time of year. You will get the peace and quiet you're after, as well as a smattering of bars and restaurants.

Flying to Samui is easy enough and the weather will probably be better. I didn't like Samui, but that's a personal thing.

In terms of accommodation, it's low season in Krabi, so there will be tonnes to meet every budget. Is 250 quid for 5 nights or per night? Either way you'll get something very good for that. I got a decent room in Nang with superb sea views for 400 baht a night last year, although you should probably head for one of the flashier resorts if you want to peace and quiet.