Best Place To Shop For International/imported Food?

tipsy

I think Rimping is the best as far as Farang food selection goes. Carrefour has some French imports, Tops at kad Suan Kaew has some mixed European food, the Kasem store on Nimmanhemin Rd. has a good selection of pastry and dry foodstuffs. A great choice of Italian imports can be found at the Italian restaurant (I think it's called Bumpui) on Charoenrat Rd. on the east bank of the river close to the Superhighway.

Cheers, CMX

A great choice of Italian imports can be found at the Italian restaurant (I think it's called Bumpui) on Charoenrat Rd. on the east bank of the river close to the Superhighway.

I think that's now Buenissimo and in addition to good eat in meals by the river, they have a deli and wine shop as well as the best chocolate ice cream in Thailand.

• 1 year later...
No.

Agreed.

The only problem is with their re-ordering system as they are often out of stock of many items.

The girls at Nawarot branch are the best in town, no argument about that. Maybe because they know me and put up with my flattery :)

And you can forget about Kasem's little hole in the wall. They have "sfa" and nowhere near the selection that Rimping carry.

OK if you want some geriatric old tart following you about :D

Rim Ping seems to stock different items at their branches. For example, the one near Airport Plaza seems to have more of a selection of Japanese food, produce and meat/fish than the branch at Nawarot, but that one seems to have more European and American items. I haven't made a similar detailed study of the various Tops branches.

The OP's question is rather vague. It would help to know specifics, like which nationality and what food categories are of interest. When I arrived here I started a list of "stuff to bring back from next time I visit the U.S." and I've gradually been able to cross off all the items on that list (save one) as I've visited various food emporiums here.

What's still on the list -- 100 calorie packs of low-fat microwave popcorn! Yeah, I know that American microwave popcorn is very available, but not the low-fat types and definitely not the small 100-calorie packs. But this item isn't exactly essential for life and I've found local snack items instead.

The other thing I'd really love to find is frozen Fordhook lima beans. Not broad beans (aka favas) and (to be really picky) not baby limas, but rather those big meaty Fordhook ones. Those aren't on my "bring back" list because I know I can't deal with bringing fresh or frozen items with me. It would seem that you could grow Fordhook limas here, but I don't have a place for gardening now.

Maybe the OP can be more specific about the items on their want-list.

have a look at tops yes they are in chaing mai :) you will have to big bag of money when you go in if you wont any thing sent to you from england will charge 15 pounds +cost of +p&p from any shop in bristol uk so if i can post it you can get text me your order +447748 121932

A newbie digging up a thread over a year old for personal advertising!!!! Cheeky prick :D

Here's a specific ... what's the best place for wholegrain bread? Not wholewheat or "wholewheat", of which many varieties are available but genuine, preferably good :D wholegrain bread?

Wholewheat is one type of wholegrain bread. There are a lot of them. Are you looking for mixedgrain or multigrain bread with other grains like oats and rye? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Here's a specific ... what's the best place for wholegrain bread? Not wholewheat or "wholewheat", of which many varieties are available but genuine, preferably good :D wholegrain bread?

Wholewheat is one type of wholegrain bread. There are a lot of them. Are you looking for mixedgrain or multigrain bread with other grains like oats and rye? :)

I think "wholewheat" means the flour is made from the whole grain, but is still ground, so not "whole grain" in that sense.

(Wiki: Whole wheat flour is a powdery substance derived by grinding or mashing the wheat's whole grain. It is used in baking but typically added to other "white" flours to provide nutrients (especially fiber and protein), texture, and body to the finished product.)

Also, there is variation from place to place in the amount of " wholewheat" required in the bread for the product to be so labelled. (Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_wheat_flour),

I suspect many of the breads here labelled "wholewheat" contain only a low percentage of this ingredient.

So, essentially wondering if there are ready sources of any form of bread where the grain is genuinely whole, or which may be healthier than the usual breads we see labelled "wholewheat" here.

Hope that helps :D.

What you really want is bread made with 100% wholewheat flour and in the West they make some very good loaves. I would not be be so strict here and choose something like the wholewheat bread at JJs. I would guess that it is something like 80% wholewheat flour and tastes great.

What you want to avoid is the commercial loaves from Thai bakeries that are very low in wholewheat content and it is obvious from the weight and just by looking at them. They sell them at places like supermarkets or 7/11s.

There are so many places that do good wholegrain bread here that I will leave JJs as my only suggestion as they were one of the first. It is perfect for toast or sandwich bread! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

For us Brits,

Tops has quite a lot of Waitrose products in stock.

Pricey...but great quality if you can afford it.

At my wife's bakery, Butter is Better at Rim Ping Mi Chok, there is for sale 100% whole wheat bread. No white flour is used at all. In fact, for some reason, she makes 2 kinds. One is made with stone ground whole wheat flour, the other is made with a very high gluten whole wheat flour. Occasionally she also makes a genuine german sourdough rye which is 2/3 dark rye flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour.

At my wife's bakery, Butter is Better at Rim Ping Mi Chok, there is for sale 100% whole wheat bread. No white flour is used at all. In fact, for some reason, she makes 2 kinds. One is made with stone ground whole wheat flour, the other is made with a very high gluten whole wheat flour. Occasionally she also makes a genuine german sourdough rye which is 2/3 dark rye flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour.

Sounds good :D.

Will have to research the advantages (I assume) of high gluten. Have only much heard of gluten as something to which some people are allergic.

Oh, and don't forget all the offerings from Meals on Wheels -- http://www.mealsonwheels4u.com/index.php. A forum sponsor :) (and a great service).

Edited by WaiWai

• 3 weeks later...
have a look at tops yes they are in chaing mai :) you will have to big bag of money when you go in if you wont any thing sent to you from england will charge 15 pounds +cost of +p&p from any shop in bristol uk so if i can post it you can get text me your order

A newbie digging up a thread over a year old for personal advertising!!!! Cheeky prick :D

I was looking for Brit food at good price in thailand and can't get it if you think I was cheeky goto tops then as I'm in uk at this time it may help people get things the they miss from home think on time going to the shop as well posting it would take me :D remember ASDA price

Edited by knightlordnz

have a look at tops yes they are in chaing mai :) you will have to big bag of money when you go in if you wont any thing sent to you from england will charge 15 pounds +cost of +p&p from any shop in bristol uk so if i can post it you can get text me your order

I was looking for Brit food at good price in thailand and can't get it if you think I was cheeky goto tops then as I'm in uk at this time it may help people get things the they miss from home think on time going to the shop as well posting it would take me :D

MM's career in the Diplomatic Service was brief but interesting, I hear. :D

For us Brits,

I've bought items from your wife's shop and they were delicious. I've seen two women working there. One is around late twenties and quite dark and seems to be there most of the time I visit Rimping. Is she your wife?

I was looking for Brit food at good price in thailand and can't get it if you think I was cheeky goto tops then as I'm in uk at this time it may help people get things the they miss from home think on time going to the shop as well posting it would take me :D remember ASDA price

Ok being diplomatic :D You will charge 15 pounds +cost of +p&p That works out far more expensive than any prices at Rimping, but a nice thought I'n sure. Customs would have a field day with foodstuffs, plus the fact that most foodstuffs are not a permissible Royal Mail postal item. There is very little I cannot get at Rimping, and prices are really not that excessive. Tops does not even come close.

Edited by Maejo Man

Ok being diplomatic :D You will charge 15 pounds +cost of +p&p That works out far more expensive than any prices at Rimping, but a nice thought I'n sure. Customs would have a field day with foodstuffs, plus the fact that most foodstuffs are not a permissible Royal Mail postal item. There is very little I cannot get at Rimping, and prices are really not that excessive. Tops does not even come close.

ok what about Xmas pud and real brit custed and i do come back to CM all the time and not had any thing said by thai customs and have so much food it's mad the wife loves it all And socks from M&S to chip cutters,deep fat fryers,brit plugs for tv ,fuse box for the house that will not kill you. try to get them and see long it takes have lived in CM 4 years can't find them go mad looking

For us Brits,

I've bought items from your wife's shop and they were delicious. I've seen two women working there. One is around late twenties and quite dark and seems to be there most of the time I visit Rimping. Is she your wife?

She hasn't been there much in November. She finds that when she spends too much time at the store, the quality of the baked goods suffers. Which is a shame for her, since she loves selling and meetng people.

ok what about Xmas pud and real brit custed and i do come back to CM all the time and not had any thing said by thai customs and have so much food it's mad the wife loves it all And socks from M&S to chip cutters,deep fat fryers,brit plugs for tv ,fuse box for the house that will not kill you. try to get them and see long it takes have lived in CM 4 years can't find them go mad looking

Imported Christmas puddings a plenty here. I have both Birds and Foster Clarks custard in my cupboard bought locally, and a drawer full of M&S socks bought here. When you have been here as long as I have you learn where to get all things that make life comfortable. Even down to Trebor Sherbert Lemons from my local store :) Maybe there are others that will take up your generous offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Rimping or any other supermarket carry Hungarian pick salami and hel_l fire sausage?

Macro, TOPS, Carefour not carry them.

Only Foodland seems to carry them in Bangkok. They are expensive in Thailand, pick salami is 1kg = 2000baht.

I'm moving next week from BKK to Chiang Mai for work. If I can not buy these in Chiang Mai, I would buy them in BKK and carry larger quantity with me.

For us Brits,

Endorsed: And I am not even a friend of the family or a shareholder either. The staff are truly pleasant and they will give you a free cup of coffee if you buy a bun and maybe if you don't. It's all too delicious I am afraid for the likes of me wot puts on the pounds just by looking so I buy it and give it to people I love, after I have had just a little nibble. A great place to spoil yourself - trouble is I am ruined already !

What a pity Rimping are too mean to let them put a couple of tables in front of the counter where there is plenty of room.