Private Thai Lessons

girlx

can anyone recommend a private thai teacher in banglamphu or near siam square?

I am using Jentana (you can find her using Google.) on Suk Soi 31. The school will send a teacher to you for one-on-one lessons.

I am using Jentana (you can find her using Google.) on Suk Soi 31. The school will send a teacher to you for one-on-one lessons.

I recommend Khun Jee who has over 10 years experience teaching Thai and did in fact first started teaching at Jentana's school.

I have recommended her to a number of Thaivisa members who I gather are very happy with their progress.

You will find it hard to find a teacher with this kind of experience - when I used schools including Jentana's the teachers had minimal experience and could not answer my questions.

Her costs are also reasonable compared to any of the schools.

I will PM you her contact details.

Cheers BB

I recommend Khun Jee who has over 10 years experience teaching Thai and did in fact first started teaching at Jentana's school.

I have recommended her to a number of Thaivisa members who I gather are very happy with their progress.

You will find it hard to find a teacher with this kind of experience - when I used schools including Jentana's the teachers had minimal experience and could not answer my questions.

Cheers BB

Hi BB,

I am also interested in lessons so would appreciate a PM with contact details and thank you in advance.

BT

Hi BB,

I am also interested in lessons so would appreciate a PM with contact details and thank you in advance.

BT

BT, I thought you'd completed you're course? :D

:o:D

Thats why I want " PRIVATE LESSONS" :D

BT

If you want to do your classes online, I can recommend Ajarn Ja in Krabi who does classes via Skype. She has an MA in Linguistics from Thammasat and is really patient.

She's got a website.....www.thai-teacher.com which has details and contact info.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

I use a Thai teacher who taught at AUA. Private lessons. House calls are included in the cost.

Cheers BB

I second this recommendation, and I believe it was Balthazar who originally recommended Jee to me. Honestly, no complaints whatsoever. I have taken lessons for about 8 months now. She's extremely personable, but also can be a hardass if that what you need to stay motivated.

BFD!

Hello Elocin,

I think you might really like going to Somchart language school. It is on Suk 11 near the nana skytrain stop. It is set up a little like a coffee house where you are taught one on one by a highly qualified university educated teacher.

The reason I prefer it to having just one private teacher is the flexibility. You purchase sessions and you can book appointments when it is convenient for you. For example, I go for a 2-3 times a week and then take a break for 1-6 months. When I decide to go back I start up again easily using the same materials and often the same teachers. I can go for a week and stop for 2-3 weks and then start up again and change the times or days of the week easily.

Also, since there are many teachers there you can usually schedule at any time that is good for you and are not limited to the schedule of any one teacher. Students usually alternate between the 3-4 different teachers. If you find one that is a better fit then you can chose to be taught exclusively by that teacher if you want to. So you have the advantage of trying out several different teachers instead of maybe being stuck with just one. Personally, I like to use all the teachers as they all teach a little differently which i find to be an advantage. Often, in a 2 or 3 hours of classes they will change teachers every hour for you.

It is a very professional school for learning Thai and although she can arrange a visa for you, unlike other schools no one is there just because they have to be because they need a visa. Everyone is there because they want to study thai. It has a good academic atmosphere and is fun also. I have been going there on and off for many years. I think they have a website if you google Somchart language school or you can pm me if you want to know more.

• 1 month later...

I finally got ahold of Khun Jee and she does sound experienced but I think her rate of 700 baht per hour is ridiculous.

I think you might really like going to Somchart language school. It is on Suk 11

Thanks, I have talked to them and it sounds good, just need to drop by and get set up.

Edited by girlx

I finally got ahold of Khun Jee and she does sound experienced but I think her rate of 700 baht per hour is ridiculous.

I think you might really like going to Somchart language school. It is on Suk 11

Thanks, I have talked to them and it sounds good, just need to drop by and get set up.

Dear Nicole,

You only sent me an sms today and I called you back. I told you my rates are 700b per one and a half hour lesson and I give discounts for advance bookings.

You must be confused or something.

Good Luck at Somchart School I have taught many of their old students :o

Khun Jee

Just to clarify, girlx, Jee doesn't charge 700 baht per hour. It's 467 baht per hour, which is pretty close to what I think is the standard. The 700 baht figure comes from the fact that her lessons are 1.5 hours long, which gives a good opportunity for cognitive impressions to set in (of course, this varies for everyone).

For further clarification, I have no financial interest in her business or anything like that; I simply find her a good teacher and a good person. Honestly, I have nothing but good things to say about her as a teacher and I cannot recommend her enough.

Hopefully this clears things up. Anyone thinking about taking lessons would do much worse than having an experienced teacher who has written her own books and is willing to travel to your house to teach you.

Sorry to not do this over PM, but I don't want the misinformation to be spread.

BFD!

you're right, it didn't click that it was 700 baht for an hour and a half rather than just an hour. still too expensive for me though. i appreciate the fact that she is an experienced teacher, but i am sure the teachers at many of the schools with lower rates are as well.

Being myself a student of Kru Jee I might add that her price includes the books and her cost for coming to your house.

She is very experienced and knows where we "farangs" make mistakes and - most important or me - she can explain the rules.

My previous teacher charged THB 400 for 1 hour, I had to buy the books myself and I had to give her money for transportation. Moreover she did not know the difference between a noun, a verb and an adjective. Many Thais don't know that.

So I can only recommend Kru Jee as a home teacher.