Do You Play A Musical Instrument?

I have collected and played many instruments over the years...from accordions to xylophones. My current favorite is a ukulele I received as a Christmas gift from my wife (I love Hawaiian music)

I wondered how many members also have played or are playing now...and what instruments and musical styles interest them.

I also wonder how many members are learning Thai songs, and do they enjoy traditional or contemporary?

Feel free to post chords or lyrics of your favorites.

So......what do you play? :o

I normally play some blues and general three chord accompliment to my horrendous singing voice. The guitar is wasted on me but its cheaper than a mia noi and my wife is not threatened by it. However I have opened a new business and am working 15 hour days at the moment so mia noi is gathering dust in the bedroom and my fingers are softer than a babies bum!!!

Bass guitar, mostly blues-based rock. Played in bands when I was attending university. All covers of 1st and 2nd wave British invasion bands (Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Zep, Cream, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and 10 Year After).

I still play, but mostly just practice on my own with a metronome, to keep sharp.

I've played guitar for about 15 years now (I'm 27). Started out with the typical early 90s stuff (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden). Eventually found Led Zeppelin, which brought me into an 80s hair-metal phase (Motley Crue, 80s Kiss, Poison, Extreme, Oh my god that music sucks), which thankfully was ended when I discovered metal (Metallica, Meshuggah, Pantera, Iron Maiden) and then death metal (Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Sigh, Immolation).

Throughout this time, I played in bands around Canada. I released two CDs with a metal band (we were based out of Vancouver then). We toured through Canada and the states for about two years, making barely enough money to get to the next show and get drunk. During this process, I learned how to play piano, bought myself a synthesizer and recorded a solo album (that sold miserably). After the metal band broke up, and I realized that I couldn't sing, I went back to Edmonton, got a Music degree, discovered folk music (Dylan, NEIL YOUNG [my absolute favorite now], Built to Spill, Gomez) and started a country-folk band. I finally had something commercially viable (we were making more than beer money!), but then I made the mistake of taking a vacation to Thailand. I fell in love with the place a little too much and decided to return home, complete an Education degree, and that put me where I am today: teaching Literature in an International school.

My god, that took forever to type. I suppose I could have just said:

I play guitar and piano.

BFD!

Bass guitar, mostly blues-based rock. Played in bands when I was attending university. All covers of 1st and 2nd wave British invasion bands (Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Zep, Cream, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and 10 Year After).

I still play, but mostly just practice on my own with a metronome, to keep sharp.

Are you living in the vicinty of Pattaya by any chance? You would make a band complete.... :o

Are you living in the vicinty of Pattaya by any chance? You would make a band complete.... :o

I was in Pattaya, but now live in Rayong. I have transport, but could only get to Pattaya on weekends. PM me if you want to get together.

I am very good at playing the triangle.....

:o

and I am very good at playing the fool.

Seriously, I can help with unpaid engagements (do you youngsters says 'gigs'?) in CM or Rayong. PM me if any interest.

Just don't let me anywhere near a sax or I will have to throw up and run. Ta. Good luck.

tried the piano when i was a kiddo. my teacher told me "you memorize your pieces very well, but you do not have the right tempo".... gee, i was nervous all the time, she was a snobbish spanish teacher with a scowl on her face each time we came, and we were having piano lessons at the time she should be napping (aunt sort of forced her to accept my sis and me, but sis did well!) -- i just kept pounding the keys! so i stopped trying. i only took those piano lessons cuz that meant we were exempt from washing the dishes (cant wet fingers tired from practicing! haha)... hated the piano lessons....

I played classical guitar a long time ago but don't get around to it much anymore, had a bass and was okay at it but sold it out of boredom, and these days I randomly pull my telecaster out and aimlessly play stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just joined Thia Visa specifically after seeing this discussion. I am working in the Banchang area (which is halfway between Pattaya and Rayong) Have been interested in some sort of jamming for sometime. Played a lot of Garage type music/ jamming over the years, not a lot of spare time, but would like to make some.

I play drums and guitar, but guitars are more fun to talk about! My electric guitars include my number one implement, an Ibanez Roadstar Strat copy, with double humbuckers, excellent action, and good sound. I also have, through good fortune of a friend having had twins and no time for his guitar, been the recipient of his Ibanez Blazer Strat, which I believe is the predecessor to the Roadstar. you can read the writeups on review sites about these guits very well respected.

Another electric I have is a "travleler Speedster" this thing has a full size neck (well almost, i'd call it 90%) but it packs down to a very small package, I recommend it highly to travelers, $300 usd.

assuming there are a few on the go types out there.(Another good travel guitar is the Yamaha Silent, I played a friend's and it was very nice, good sound, but it is in the 18000 baht price range)

I have several acoustics back home in Canada, but I just bought a "Grafter" SA Series Hybrid. up in BKK, for B.13600, it has a Piezo acoustic and also an electric pick-up, with a fader between the 2 so you can

use both , and you can also put both kinds of strings on it, I plan to switch it to acoustic, but it requires some set-up, can't wait to try it in an amp.

I have a couple of very nice "Cort" acoustic jumbo cutaway, 1-compliments of the twins, and a few beach acoustics.But alas, my number one, a "L'arrive" guitar handmade in Vancouver (comparable with Taylors) was stolen a few years back. that thing had the most amzing tone, even with old strings it sounded great.

by the way I am mainly a drummer, back home in Canadam i have a tama superstar set, some Djembe and African drums, various gongs bells and too many "world beat" percussion instruments to mention,,,,,

I am very good at playing the triangle.....

:o

and I am very good at playing the fool.

Seriously, I can help with unpaid engagements (do you youngsters says 'gigs'?) in CM or Rayong. PM me if any interest.

Just don't let me anywhere near a sax or I will have to throw up and run. Ta. Good luck.

Not if you can keep the tone miho :D

• 1 month later...

I was trained as classical trumpet player but haven't played in years. I left my nice horn back in the states. I would have liked to have taken it but just had too much stuff already. I did bring my mouthpiece which I practice on occasionally. If I ever find a nice (and inexpensive) pocket trumpet, I'll buy it.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully on topic, does anyne know where to get or download quality guitar backing tracks? I have downloaded many of them from guitarbackingtrack.com. They a good for practice, really improves your timing, but these sound like they were made on an archaic computer, the drums sound terrible. Other websites seem to require payment, Cheers

I agree, I've never yet found a good backing track wite either (free)

Surely tyhere must be something out there.

Or torrents?

Anyway, I play guitar, acoustic & electric, sometimes 12 string.

Some bass, and some drums.

Oh, and I can sing.

and make great drinks.

I have always wanted to play an instrument. I have had a mouth organ for years and every so often try to learn to play it, but with little success. I would love to take lessons in some sort of instrument. I would think it fairly easy to find guitar lessons here in Thailand, but have no idea where to find them. I live in Ban Chang, Rayong. If anyone would like to give me lessons, for a fee, or direct me to someone that might, let me know.